• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you like the art style change in Journeys?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    I'm not quite to Journeys yet in my watching but I've seen a few clips and I'm also not sure if the current art style is just for the Journeys series or if it started early, but it's so....ugh. In my opinion. Like I want my cute lovely characters to look cute and lovely, and they don't. The art style kind of makes me sad. ^^ I'm still going to watch it, I'm glad the vibe feels the same, but...why'd you make everyone look like that?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2022
    Yeah I mean it's great but I'm a 90's kid so really there's something about that late 90's early 00's watercolor-esque art that I cherish in all anime and will always be biased towards.

Years
  • I mean we're all here on an Internet forum so I think all of us have a special place in our hearts for the Y2K. The arts styles of SM and Journeys are my least favorite, but in a sense I still like them, they merely exist alongside the other generations and it's good to have some difference

Years
  • I like it! SM's art style took a lot of adjusting for me at first but I fell in love with it and the series overall. Journeys has a slightly better art style to me and I like it. Gary looks especially good!

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    I actually quite like that they ditched the blockier aspects of the old style.

I prefer more rounded shapes.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Journeys isn't too bad, but I still much prefer XY over Journeys. I will say Journeys is still vastly different from Pokemon SM which I still don't like the art style of and never will. It was a big reason I did not watch much of it or wasn't excited to watch SM. If something does not look pleasing to my eyes, it is hard for me to sit down and watch it and I lose interest.

Journeys is more of a middle ground between XY and SM. I will say that the Arceus Chronicles is almost on par with movie standards and is really amazing. The art style of the Journeys also just matches the aspect of pokemon and all of the characters look pretty good with the art style.

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    It's funny, when we first saw Sun & Moon's new style I felt just as negative as everyone else, but I came to change my mind when it started airing - in motion I thought it actually looked fantastic. I kind of wonder how many people just never shook that initial reaction. I think the look of the anime when it switched to digital coloring in the Johto era was pretty unappealing, aside from some of the movies looking fantastic. The animation felt so... stiff and lifeless, for years. Loosening things up brought energy back to the anime for me. Sun & Moon made me appreciate the anime again and Journeys has only gotten better.

I do have a fondness for the watercolor cels of the classic anime, but I truly think this is the best it's been since the original season.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I am one of the few who defended Sun and Moon's art style, and I like how it the characters look in Journeys. They're far more expressive than they ever were in the older art style, and I'll die on that hill that S/M's art style was good.

Years
  • Not kept up with the anime in a looong time but yeah. I am liking the art style in Journeys and even liked it during the Sun/Moon saga/arc(s)

SquirmyWorm064

I’m weird :>
    Years
  • I've only watched a few episodes of Journeys and got bored. The art style is better than the Sun & Moon but it's not as great as there others. I miss old Ash :(

Back