• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what types of game graphics do you like most?

Years
  • realistic 3d is awesome and the present/future, but I love me some pixel-style games, as well as chibi-style 3d (like bravely default). what about you guys?? what games have graphics you really like?

pkmin3033

I'm most fond of sprites and cel-shaded or "anime" style visuals personally. Sprites are what I grew up with and they have a timeless feel to them that I appreciate, and the anime aesthetic is one that can look really good in video games, and most of my favourite titles are done in this style. The interesting thing is that I didn't like this style of visuals at all until I played Wind Waker for the first time, though.

The biggest issue I have with realistic graphics is that they don't age well and all too often the faces cross into uncanny valley and it's extremely disturbing. Even the most photo-realistic faces still look off to me, like they're deepfakes or something. I've not played very many games with a super intensive focus on visuals that have what I would call polished gameplay, either. I can appreciate how they look and how technology is advancing, but as video games I often find them lacking in some way.

Years
  • Realistic 3D is pretty awesome, I love the graphical style of Skyrim, Ghost of Tsushima (what an incredibly beautiful game that is btw) and some of the newer Final Fantasy games. But pixels and sprites will always have a place in my heart, I'm thinking like the older Pokemon games, Harvest moon etc, all super nostalgic and comforting as they were what I grew up with, don't think I'll ever get tired of that style!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i've never been too picky about graphics, i've always just liked what i like. however, i am more drawn to a game that stands out in terms of its style. so games like okami and kirby's epic yarn that have a unique style really hold up imo. like even as they age, they don't feel so dated to me bc they are so distinct and didn't really try to stay in line w the time they were made, like how some of the more realistic games tend to be. those can age poorly. but this is coming from someone that doesn't care about looks as long as its fun so lol take what i say with a grain of salt.

Years
    • Online now
    Any time of graphics are okay with me. But I do like realism.

Although...my favorite is probably color book style art, such as the look of the Yoshi's Island games.

Years
  • I generally prefer stylised games because they look great and will look great even if you return to them a decade later, I also feel like the more game-like qualities of the medium like swapping equipment in a split second that aren't exactly realistic blend in far better in a game that is trying to be a game rather than a movie. Not that I hate realism but I will never find myself gravitating towards it because the more real a game attempts to be the more I will nitpick the games visuals, because it will never match up to reality and the harder it tries the more the discrepancies stand out. If a game is trying to look real and a character's hand is clipping through their clothes you already failed. Sprites are king.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I'd say I like pixel graphics the most. There's some artistic value to be found there when you're limited by the image size and, sometimes, pallet. Okami and Okamiden are a special category. Those games are just beautiful.
    The low polygon count graphics make me feel fuzzy, but it's purely nostalgia.

Back