• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of trainer are you?

Years
For me, I am the type who is aggressive in battles (Note I am talking casual), I replace all my pokemon defensive, healing, and support moves and just give them attack moves. The only support move I keep is Dark Void for Darkrai, as it is such a great move (Until Sun and Moon came along).

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'm the type of Trainer who would rather use their favorites than Pok?mon that are more likely to win a battle (barring Legendaries for realistic purposes). (I also use only Shiny Pok?mon nowadays because those are really the only ones I can seem to get attached to.)

Last edited:
Years
Yeah I usually use Pokemon that I want to use rather than those that will give me the best chance in battle. In terms of moves, I'm pretty aggressive and will give a Pokemon or two some status/support moves as a sort of Plan B.

Years
The way I play in-game is almost nothing like the way I would actually battle as a trainer. In-game, I'm about 75% attack, 20% status, and 5% other stuff (using items, boosting attack/defense, etc.). In an actual battle, I'd be a lot more observant, waiting to see what the opponent does first before coming up with a strategy. And if I couldn't read them, I'd be more than happy to play the stall game and try to force their hand.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
Years
In-game I tend to go for all-out aggression. I generally avoid stat-boosting moves unless it's to prepare for a sweep. Back when I played competitive, however, I made a good effort to build teams with balance, I'd pick a couple offensive Pokemon I wanted to use and then built my team around that.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
My trainer is focused on filling out the Pokedex with both regular version of Pokemon and shiny Pokemon. My trainer style is normally pretty sp atk and speed focused, but I usually throw in someone slower for Trick Room protection.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I am very aggressive in battles. Only in the past two years I learned to be a bit more tactical, but I still prefer to go for strong Pokémon and hard-hitting attacks to defeat the Pokémon as quick as possible. I don't like using stat-boosting attacks unless I can't go without because I feel they're a waste of time in-game, I prefer to hit the weaknesses of Pokémon directly (hence why I always wana have as much type coverage in my attacks as possible). Of course competitive is a whole nother thing.

1MeenGreenie

Factory Head
Years
In-Game: Use my favorites, little regard to meta (aside from really awful natures, like an Adamant Sp. Attacker), movesets for the whole team are 90% offense attacks, 10% status moves for catching things. When I was younger, I was that kid who had 4 fire moves on their Charizard, but now I like to get as many types as possible on my team's movesets.

Competitive: Everything move and stat-wise gets inspiration from the usual meta builds (might mix it up and throw in an off-meta move on something), but the Pokemon are generally ones I personally like.

Both: If my active Pokemon gets in the yellow and I am not confident in a KO, I will heal or switch. Everything holds an item, even if it is just an Oran Berry early-game. Everyone has a name, unless I got them from another player.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I am impulsive. I often want to press B after I choose a move, because I didn't think it through. Let's say I am not a good battle opponent XD I play with Pokemon I like too, but I do breed them and think of a somewhat strategy.

Years
I'm the sort of player who doesn't use a lot of moves that raise/lower attack and defense/special attck/special defense and speed. I don't know why, but I just don't really like doing that. I only really tend to use the Pokemon that I like, but I catch every type of Pokemon I see. I've only had Sun for a few weeks, but I have caught about a million.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
I the type of player that loves a challenge. I'm the type of trainer that loves making the hard decision and doesn't mind using status or setup moves to win. I love/hate natures because I lived how simple the first two generations were, but I love he individuality and strategy that natures brought.

Above all though, I want to have fun and I love playing through the games with Pok?mon I enjoy.

Great question OP!

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
I use my favorite Pokemon, not the best competitive pokemon. If I like an unevolved form better than the evolution, I do not evolve it to use it competitively, I use the unevolved form if I like it better.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 17, 2019
competitively, i love to use my favorite pokemon, with moves that will mess with the other person--like plenty of status moves, lowering their stats, trick room, etc
i'm a bad person LOL

Ida13

Gone For a While
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
competitively, i love to use my favorite pokemon, with moves that will mess with the other person--like plenty of status moves, lowering their stats, trick room, etc
i'm a bad person LOL

That's what I like to do competitivley. Its a good way to win the battle quickly.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
I rather watch and analyse the battles. I don't want to battle. Of course I think what will be good strategy. And If I have to, I do always with my favorites. It's not much fun without favorites. And surely I hate to lose, but winning not pleasures me so much, so I don't want to battle.
When first time I played the game, I hated to be fainted even one and I didn't use any items in battle(and because of it, it took so much time to enter the hall of fame.), but not anymore.

If you ask what kind of trainer I am.. well... maybe I'm not a real trainer, but I just want to play with my pokemons peacefully.

Last edited:

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
Years
For me, I am the type who is aggressive in battles (Note I am talking casual), I replace all my pokemon defensive, healing, and support moves and just give them attack moves. The only support move I keep is Dark Void for Darkrai, as it is such a great move (Until Sun and Moon came along).

Same here
I'm not good at strategizing so I just attack lol

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I would say I'm an Optimistically Strategic trainer.

I am optimistic towards pokemon in that I believe every single pokemon is competitively viable if you try hard enough to make it so. I have seen Caterpies and Sunkern's sweep before due to specially designed competitive teams that were built to set those pokemon up. I don't care if an entire team strategy is built around making a single underrated and underused pokemon sweep, the point is that it's possible and every pokemon in existence is capable of achieving that level of power.
I'm the kind of person that loves these optimistic strategies and also I enjoy trying to design these types of teams as well.

I love designing and battling with creative strategies that are unexpected or not commonly seen in competitive battling. I love combos, interesting status moves, weird stat builds, and unique usage of game mechanics. In my opinion the more creative the better. The most amazing thing to me with creative and heavily strategic builds is watching them not only work but also seeing them win outstandingly against meta heavy competitive teams.

I will admit, I enjoy breeding perfect pokemon that are competitively viable, commonly for meta pokemon with OU builds, but my passion as a trainer when battling is focused around uncommon pokemon with obscure combos and strategies.

Back