• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Habitable Exoplanets

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
  • There are exoplanets discovered everyday but some of them are really special because they could host extraterrestrial life or even human life!

Here are some honorable mentions:

Kepler 438b: (the most Earth like)
    Spoiler:

Proxima Centauri B: (the closest one)
    Spoiler:

Kepler 452b: (Nicknamed Earth 2.0)
    Spoiler:

Wolf 1061c: (More Earth like than Kepler 438b?)
    Spoiler:

Gliese 667Cc:
    Spoiler:

I'm really fascinated by this topic, and my dream is that one day we will be able to venture into space overcoming most of the space barriers to reach these planets and take a walk on them and maybe even live on them (yeah, I'm kind of daydreaming {XD}), or maybe find some form of life.
    The universe is vast, there must be someone other than us, I truly believe it!

What do you think? :)

Years
  • I just want to say--hell yeah!! -dattebayo.
    Exoplanets are literally filled with wonders that include the techniques to find them to their size, ingredients and even the number of orbiting stars. I think kepler space telescope is one of them. They found 100 of planets stars etc xD
    You see some people might not believe and say it's just a science fiction stuff but 100 years ago, visiting the Moon was also the stuff of Science Fiction. It will take time but it'll happen c:

Years
  • I think we really need to start small and perhaps focus on interplanetary travel to closer things, say like Mars. ;)

Neat discoveries though!

Raffy98

Years
  • I think we really need to start small and perhaps focus on interplanetary travel to closer things, say like Mars. ;)

Neat discoveries though!

Well, of course!
    We are already planning a trip to Mars if I'm not mistaken.

Years
  • Well, of course!
    We are already planning a trip to Mars if I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunately everything is stuck at the planning stage and no space agency is actually proposing a mission there yet.

I'd love to still be alive by the time probes and robots travel to planets around other stars. I don't think we'll have yet gotten to the point where humans will be going (barring some major changes to the course we're on). There's just too much we don't know about these other planets. But the fact that we're finding planets as close as the closest star to our own gives me hope that we will find other planets that would be safe to travel to. It seems like at this point we'd be surprised to learn a star didn't have planets instead of the other way around so the odds look good to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Unfortunately everything is stuck at the planning stage and no space agency is actually proposing a mission there yet.
    It's probably for the best really. Space travel is still extremely expensive and relatively slow, so we should probably invest in developing cheaper and faster methods of travelling through space and learning how to live in it before we actually attempt missions to other planets.

Raffy98

Years
  • It seems like at this point we'd be surprised to learn a star didn't have planets instead of the other way around so the odds look good to me.
    Both of them do exist, they are called "Rogues".
    For example we have been able to find few rogue planets that have been rejected from their parent stars.
    Anyway, yeah plenty of planets do exists: it's up to us to discover them. ;)

It's probably for the best really. Space travel is still extremely expensive and relatively slow, so we should probably invest in developing cheaper and faster methods of travelling through space and learning how to live in it before we actually attempt missions to other planets.
    Agree on that too.
    Since we're still using rockets (and we'll continue using them for now) to get into space, fuel and mass are a big problem.
    Taking a trip to Mars into account, It has been estimated that 50% of the fuel is needed ONLY to get into orbit, the other half is used for the journey to Mars.
    Also, once a rocket has reached a stable orbit it has lost 70-80% of its total mass! (What a waste -_-)
    We have to find more efficient methods for space travelling or we'll be facing economical barriers aside our scientifical ignorance about space.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It seems like at this point we'd be surprised to learn a star didn't have planets instead of the other way around so the odds look good to me.
    I never understood why anyone would be surprised at the existence of exoplanets in the first place. Per the mediocrity principle I've always considered it far more reasonable to assume that the Solar System is normal than that there's anything special about it or even Earth, particularly since we've been able to observe stars for considerably longer already and know the Sun is fairly normal.

Also, once a rocket has reached a stable orbit it has lost 70-80% of its total mass! (What a waste -_-)
    By and large spacecraft are always going to be over 98% propellant by mass. This is never going to change for as long as physics don't.

However if fusion becomes tenable, pure hydrogen or helium, the two most abundant elements in the universe, would make fuelling rockets extremely cheap, but you don't really want to set off a fusion drive on the surface. Chemical rockets will likely remain the go-to for heavy lifting indefinitely. If you need a lot of energy for very short period of time like that, chemical energy is the most convenient; it's also bound to invoke the most reliable and well-understood (ie. safest) tech.

After a space-based infrastructure is established, the foundation of which is orbital propellant depots (possibly using methane from gas giant atmospheres), the whole venture becomes far less wasteful and more productive. Building things in space with resources from the asteroid belt would be ideal, but someone has to build the first 'road' that stretches out so far, so I wouldn't worry too much about the massive inefficiency of it all at this point — it's unavoidable.

We can get to places like Mars quite quickly if we want to, all it takes is more rocket. Otherwise, we already have options, if only nuclear devices were allowed in space. Nuclear pulse propulsion was studied in the late 50s, and nuclear thermal rockets were developed in the late 60s. The next kind of high thrust+efficiency propulsion we're likely to see is fusion, again of nuclear ilk, so for space travel to become reasonable (and it already is, technically) people have to accept and understand the technology involved and the reasons for becoming spacefaring. Considerable time has already been spent studying microgravity habitation on the ISS; I'd like to see that project expanded but it shouldn't be our only one. Space travel has actually been conducted on the cheap to date; the entire Apollo programme only cost around $25bil while the US military budget for only the year of 1969 totalled $438bil and these days exceeds $600bil each year.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The earth-like exoplanets are pretty fascinating and I do like the idea that there are other planets far away from Earth that are inhabitable just like here, although sadly we won't ever be able to actually explore them.

Raffy98

Years
  • UPDATE:
    7 new potentially habitable exoplanets were discovered and announced by NASA. (more info here)

They're pretty far away though.

Back