• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Miss the 2D Graphics Yet?

Years
  • Does anyone else besides me really miss the old 2D graphics of the pokemon games? I mean I still play the older games but I mean does anyone think it would be great to go back to them for a game? I know this would obviously never happen and I totally understand why, of course, of course. I'm just seeing if anyone else feels this way and if so why? I have no idea why I miss the older graphics I just do. Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe I'm just totally weird. Would be great to get Gen II and Gen III released on Eshop. I'd buy them all for sure.

Years
    • Seen today
    The 2D graphics were fun while they lasted. However, the 3D graphics seem to appeal to more people, so Game Freak have pretty much moved on to that.

I do miss the animated sprites from Gen 5, though.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I miss the 2D sprites. They were 100 times more colorful than the current crop. Everything seems to have been faded when X/Y took over.

Years
  • Okay so it's not just me then. Also do certain pokemon seem to look kind of different in 3D in a way that you didn't think they would look? For some reason one of my favorite pokemon, Vileplume....it's face and body proportion seem different from the 2D sprites. In the 3D form it doesnt look as cool imho.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I miss 2D as well! Or even the ~2.5D in the Gen 4 and 5 games. And yeah I agree with EC - the 2D sprites were so colourful and cute and since then we've got super dull-coloured models. Sun & Moon was a bit better than Gen 6 in that regard, but not by much.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gens 4 & 5 were when the sprites and the like were at their peak imo. While it's great to have fully fleshed out 3D models, when replaying games like HGSS or Platinum, I can't help but feel nostalgic and miss the older sprites we had back then. :<

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can live with things either way

just as long as we don't go back to those super fugly Gen 1 sprites

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Would be great to get Gen II and Gen III released on Eshop. I'd buy them all for sure.

Oh god yes! I hope they do release Gen III on the eShop! But in all seriousness, I really miss the sprite-based graphics, considering I grew up with them. They had this kind of charm to them which the 3D doesn't seem to have, especially the Gen III ones, which was possibly the pinnacle of sprite-based graphics. What I really hate is how a lot of the Pokemon 3D models are washed out and don't resemble their official artwork colour-wise.

Years
  • I really love the 2D graphics and Gen 3-4 was when it was at its best imo. I do still enjoy the 3D graphics of the newer games and think they look really good, but nothing can beat the nostalgic, beautiful 2D sprites.

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'm mixed on this. On one hand the 3D in S/M is impeccable, but the 2D sprites in the old games are nostalgic and overall very well done. One thing I don't miss is the awkward 3D of X/Y and OR/AS.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I missed them from the moment 3D was announced. I might be in the minority that never got the appeal of the 3D sprites and never liked them, and it's definitely the biggest thing that turned me off from XY at first (along with the cry changes *cries*). That was one of the biggest wows for me of the Pok?mon franchise, and I'll never not be sad to see it gone forever. Unfortunately for me, it's what appeals to a lot of people, so we won't be seeing a 2D Pok?mon game again.

...I think.

pkmin3033

Like most 2D series, I don't think Pokemon made the leap to 3D very gracefully, as with the added style - which in itself is a debatable aesthetic - comes a definite loss of substance in the actual game content. The trade-off, so far, has not paid off. Even if I preferred the 3D models - which I do not - I would not be happy with Pokemon's transition to 3D on this basis alone. It's not a fair trade. Style should never be prioritised over substance.

...and at the very least they could make the 3D models more colourful so that they reflect the Pokemon's actual colours and not look like they've been put through a bad light filter on photoshop or something. It's notably better in Pokemon Amie when you get a closer view of the models, but...well, that doesn't really excuse the murky battle visuals.

2D was better.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • It's funny I've seen this question asked before and I felt like one of the only people who preferred 2D to 3D. This thread is quite the reverse.

Years
  • Oh god yes! I hope they do release Gen III on the eShop! But in all seriousness, I really miss the sprite-based graphics, considering I grew up with them. They had this kind of charm to them which the 3D doesn't seem to have, especially the Gen III ones, which was possibly the pinnacle of sprite-based graphics. What I really hate is how a lot of the Pokemon 3D models are washed out and don't resemble their official artwork colour-wise.

We should see if we could push them to do so. I mean when has a company ever said no to free money?

I'm mixed on this. On one hand the 3D in S/M is impeccable, but the 2D sprites in the old games are nostalgic and overall very well done. One thing I don't miss is the awkward 3D of X/Y and OR/AS.

awww wuts a matter? Don't like being a walking bobblehead? XD lol

I missed them from the moment 3D was announced. I might be in the minority that never got the appeal of the 3D sprites and never liked them, and it's definitely the biggest thing that turned me off from XY at first (along with the cry changes *cries*). That was one of the biggest wows for me of the Pok?mon franchise, and I'll never not be sad to see it gone forever. Unfortunately for me, it's what appeals to a lot of people, so we won't be seeing a 2D Pok?mon game again.

...I think.

I liked the idea of 3D at first because I grew up with pokemon Stadium 1&2 and Pokemon Colosseum. But now I just wished the 3D stayed on the big consoles and not the portable ones.....

Like most 2D series, I don't think Pokemon made the leap to 3D very gracefully, as with the added style - which in itself is a debatable aesthetic - comes a definite loss of substance in the actual game content. The trade-off, so far, has not paid off. Even if I preferred the 3D models - which I do not - I would not be happy with Pokemon's transition to 3D on this basis alone. It's not a fair trade. Style should never be prioritised over substance.

...and at the very least they could make the 3D models more colourful so that they reflect the Pokemon's actual colours and not look like they've been put through a bad light filter on photoshop or something. It's notably better in Pokemon Amie when you get a closer view of the models, but...well, that doesn't really excuse the murky battle visuals.

2D was better.

I agree the amount of actual game content has been extremely limited, I feel. I think ORAS had some good stuff with the Delta Episodes and the Post E4 but...still not enough.

It's funny I've seen this question asked before and I felt like one of the only people who preferred 2D to 3D. This thread is quite the reverse.

I thought I was weird but I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I feel like a retro styled game could do pretty well. Something with the visual style of an older game but less buggy and with more quality of life features.

Imagine if they made a game in the style of Gold/Silver but with all the Pokemon we currently have. I'd love something official like that. (instead of just having to play fan games)

For the record I'm not talking about a demake of a newer game. I'm talking about a game set in a new region. (not necessarily a new generation though) I guess it would be like the Colliseum/XD regions but a bit more connected to the main series of games.

Back