• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RPG'S...GONE WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • You ever started or been in an RPG that went completely wrong? Maybe one RPGer thought to take matters into they're own hands and completely destroyed the ideas you had in store? Maybe it didn't even kick off? Perhaps someone flamed the hell out of it or bunnied characters until there was nothing meants to bunny? Or maybe a pack of rabbit duck's swooped in and devoured it all?

Has anything like this happened to you?

I remember with one RP I started I had a member flame at me because he thought it was a stupid idea reguardless of the members that had joined. I was just sorta like...Who da funk be joo? Oo;;;;

Blah that was horrible, it actually made me not want to go through with it, because I was new to RPGing and didn't really take that too well...kinda disheartening you know?

So?....

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • I've acctualy been in a couple of RP's that have died before they got started. And almost every other RP i've joined has died. It's scary ya know. Like i'm curesed, or something.

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
    Years
  • cursed? I'm sorry to inform but every RP i've ever joined, or attempted to join has died, no matter how awsome or reliable the people who joined/started it were.

Example 1:

My first RP ever, the "Arr, I be a Pirate" RP. two and a half pages after I joined the RP owner suddenly and mysteriously lost intrest on a RP that had been going successively for three months.

Example 2:
    My Favourite RP: Mindscape. Met a tragic end after people started losing intrest, and the posts ended suddenly. Though I tried reviving it, nothing held out.

Example 3: Elemental Angels 1.0 - An extremely successfull RP(for this forum) that made it five pages. suddenly noone wanted to post, nobody at all. Not even the owner.

Example 4: My latest attempt at starting an RP - "What it Takes." Due to circumstances 'beyond my control' (my parents getting mad for no reason and taking my internet) I was unable to start this RP and it died in its infancy.

Listing every RP i've ever joined would take not only too much time to write up, but also take too long to search back onto all the forums i've been to and RPed at. I leave you with the first case of my unkown RP slaughtering luck.

The Example:
    Gaia Online - Nadine's Vampire Sanctuary. (now ::Nadine's Refuge:: ) over 15,000 pages, and one week after I post once, activity halves. One month and it comes to a standstill. Two months and the entire thread is close to closing down. Bar gets new management. I leave for approximately a year and bar is thriving better than any other thread in subscription list.

that kinda tips it off... after these few RPs I might just stop coming and see how well things start doing...

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Of the RPs I've participated in, I've ruined quite a few of them by my own hand.

One such RP that has stuck out in my mind was this one Christmas-themed RP at a now-defunct forum a few years ago that basically degenerated into a turn-based tactics game involving Roy Mustang, Motoko Kusanagi, Shinji Ikari, and Kira Yamato versus Sakura Kinomoto and the Sailor Senshi...and I was the man controlling Roy, Motoko, Shinji, and Kira. If certain series had been out way back then, it would have been Roy Mustang, Motoko Kusanagi, Shinji Ikari, Kira Yamato, Kamina, Haruhi Suzumiya, Lelouch Lamperouge, Saber, Saya Otonashi, Shana, and Setsuna F. Seiei versus Sakura Kinomoto and the Sailor Senshi.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • cursed? I'm sorry to inform but every RP i've ever joined, or attempted to join has died, no matter how awsome or reliable the people who joined/started it were.

Example 1:

My first RP ever, the "Arr, I be a Pirate" RP. two and a half pages after I joined the RP owner suddenly and mysteriously lost intrest on a RP that had been going successively for three months.

Example 2:
    My Favourite RP: Mindscape. Met a tragic end after people started losing intrest, and the posts ended suddenly. Though I tried reviving it, nothing held out.

Example 3: Elemental Angels 1.0 - An extremely successfull RP(for this forum) that made it five pages. suddenly noone wanted to post, nobody at all. Not even the owner.

Example 4: My latest attempt at starting an RP - "What it Takes." Due to circumstances 'beyond my control' (my parents getting mad for no reason and taking my internet) I was unable to start this RP and it died in its infancy.

Listing every RP i've ever joined would take not only too much time to write up, but also take too long to search back onto all the forums i've been to and RPed at. I leave you with the first case of my unkown RP slaughtering luck.

The Example:
    Gaia Online - Nadine's Vampire Sanctuary. (now ::Nadine's Refuge:: ) over 15,000 pages, and one week after I post once, activity halves. One month and it comes to a standstill. Two months and the entire thread is close to closing down. Bar gets new management. I leave for approximately a year and bar is thriving better than any other thread in subscription list.

that kinda tips it off... after these few RPs I might just stop coming and see how well things start doing...

Wow O.O

I officaly have no room to talk about being cursed. O.O

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Yes many. I have a solution(sort of)! We as a community must join together and write thee most massive and exciting plot. (Probably to see it die a couple weeks later)

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
    Years
  • Yes many. I have a solution(sort of)! We as a community must join together and write thee most massive and exciting plot. (Probably to see it die a couple weeks later)

ah yes, and invite all of PC to join in. If we were to go out, we'd go out with a bang...

I know it's becoming a novel concept considering what CN, nickelodeon, and Toon Disney are up to, but how long do you think it would take to make a PC MMO?

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • Not long if you do it right. All you got to do is come up with a story big enough to encompass a million+ people. (no sarcasem intended)
    And I might know just the story for it. Don't ask me yet, must refine it.
    (walks off mumbling)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not gonna get too detailed, but I messed up and rp by ooc asking what something meant, but it was something that I should have already known.

Ummm...on another forum, I've posted stuff that didn't corrspond to everyone elses' posts. My rp character's love interest's rper pointed that out to me about three times.

In wolf roleplay on MySpace, someone had their thoughts, and I replied in a way that would imply I read her mind...that was embarassing.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

I thought your first ever RP was with me? o_O; I think it was with Naoko, right? I remember you asked me to help you out with RP'ing, or something, when we were still only at SPPF...? Maybe not. xD; I might be getting my timeline mixed up.

I dunno, I can't remember any RP's that I directly killed, probably because I don't want to rememb-

Ohhh, you know, the one I did kill was Get Out of My Honey Pot, Ursaring's pokemon roleplay. I just kept forgetting it was even there, my character was incredibly difficult to RP, and it was a really advanced RP, so I couldn't really work my way through my character. I just stopped posting, and since there were really only three major people- Me, AE, and Luke, I totally killed it. x_X

Oh and then there was Alarayne! Another pokemon RP, Kogenta's character totally pwn't mine in every tactical thought process, which was an ordeal, since my character was supposed to be kinda smart. Again, the character outwitted me, and I actually officially left that RP. It didn't really... die, but it certainly didn't... live.

Then there's another one when I was still pretty new to RP'ing, and I was RP'ing with a killer-advanced-literate roleplayer? Yeah...... He was really really nice about it, and he was definitely the sweetest person I've ever met on Gaia, but after thirteen pages, he couldn't keep going. xD; After going back and reading my posts.... yeah I can see why. xD!

Most of the RP's I make die though. I usually don't think it out enough, or it just... somehow doesn't work. I'm a terrible RP Master, but everyone who's RP'ed with me seems to understand that. ;; The members here are too good to me. ;;;;; [/tears]

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Oh and then there was Alarayne! Another pokemon RP, Kogenta's character totally pwn't mine in every tactical thought process, which was an ordeal, since my character was supposed to be kinda smart. Again, the character outwitted me, and I actually officially left that RP. It didn't really... die, but it certainly didn't... live.

Try 'it suffered an agonizing death of withering away on a slowly failing life support system'. I and Kogenta tried our best to keep it going, but when our esteemed RP master disappeared as well, there really wasn't much we could do. D:

And you don't beat Kogenta in smart characters; you just don't. No-one does. If he's in it, just resign your character to always being outsmarted by someone. It's a lot less depressing that way. ;P

Most of the RP's I make die though. I usually don't think it out enough, or it just... somehow doesn't work. I'm a terrible RP Master, but everyone who's RP'ed with me seems to understand that. ;; The members here are too good to me. ;;;;; [/tears]

More like they die because you tell yourself 'this isn't going to work' the moment something goes wrong, you silly girl. *swats* I still maintain that the only thing wrong with your RPs is that defeatist mindset.

Anyway, I've had my fair share of this thing. Mostly, it's the RPs I'm in withering away because the members just poof for undisclosed reasons. It's not really a level issue, because this happens even with people who I regards as at least my equals in writing and they assure me that it's not me, but more like people just...drop. *shrug* At other times, real life decides to toss a roadside bomb at me and kill my attendance ability.

There have been some cases where things got uglier, though. I recall one RP where this other person's character picked a fight with mine and the person just refused to back off from it even after being told by both RP master and everyone else in the RP to do so. The whole thing escalated into an ugly slug match and continued until we got modly intervention. Yeah. Not my most pleasant RPing memory.

Another one I recall quite vividly was the most ugly case of powerplay I have seen to date. Things were going quite well from the start, it was an enjoyable RP with a fairly original plot and the writing seemed to be up to scratch. I even had an RPing friend whom I had done a little character coordination with and we were genuinely having fun with it. That was when the RP master decided to go mad. Mine was a fairly authoritative and forceful kind of character, and apparently this didn't strike the RP master's fancy, so she PMed me and asked whether my character and hers could get into a fight where mine would be thoroughly beaten, in order for her character to be, and I quote, 'Taken seriously as a leader'. Never mind that my character was A) by all logical sense the stronger fighter of the two and in posession of a clear strategical advantage over hers, B) not particularly confrontative with people she considered allies and unlikely to pick that fight in the first place, and C) loyalty-bound to protect hers, making said fight about the last thing my character would do. Well, obviously I declined the offer and thought 'okay, weird...but that's that, right?'.

Well, guess again. :O First our dear RP master did some minor bunnying, forcing an opinion that was not 100% to my liking on my character, but close enough for me to let it slide. The next thing I knew, the same RP master had dragged both mine and my friend's characters through a random plot hole and blatantly bunnied them on top, which was the point where I - being in no mood for that kind of crap - dropped out of the RP and made it quite public why I had done so. Friend went with me, and many others followed suit in the ensuing drama as said RP master began ranting in the thread, so the RP basically went down with us. Shame in retrospect, but it felt strangely satisfying then. :x

Moral of the story? Powerplay is bad for you, kiddies.

The third and most recent of these was an RP where I just dropped out when I realized that it was not really a roleplay at all as much as a group of people writing mediocre fanfiction in the same thread. The closest thing to interaction that I ever saw was when one RPer wrote that their character had seen another one, but as far as I could see, not as much as an exchange of three posts between RPers had been conducted within the first two pages of the RP and the RP master was doing his best to ensure that this state of affairs would persist by enforcing constant jumps through time and space and strict post limits for everyone. Did I mention that the 'everyone makes one post and then we move on to the next area! =D' is the silliest way of running an RP that I have ever witnessed? They say it's 'to keep the plot running' but talk about throwing away the baby with the bathwater. Roleplaying is about the interaction; if you don't want any between posters, you may as well just be writing fanfics instead. D:

There are others aplenty, I'm sure, but those are three biggest RP failures that spring to mind. :x

Last edited:

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    x3; ha... guess I'm not suprised that Alarayne's being talked about. -takes a bow- But hey, you have to screw up to really learn, riiight?

I guess the worst an RP has ever really gotten for me was when the IRL issues between members/admins causes the entire thing to go south for the winter even if it normally would not have. For example, on a Neopets Guild-based Pokemon RPG Board caused the ENTIRE plotline/characters to go haywire ending with a tsunami to destroy the island because the leader of said guild had lost the argument and was being immature about it. {The classic, I don't want to own up to my own mistakes and the fact I was wrong and godmoded to the point i changed your character completely so I'm going to just blow up the freaking island, thus killing off all the characters and ending the roleplay and not let you have a flippin' say in it.} The other example being this one time, on an invision free rpg board {I know, that explains ALL of it...} when one of the admins fell in love with the head admin and decided he owned the head admin and made it so nobody could rp with the head admin but him.

o.O; I think I'm just a magnet for these sorts of things honest but then

then I go look on gaia

on the rpg threads.

And I laugh.

Hysterically.

Last edited:

Mira

restless spirit
    Years
  • Yeah, I almost utterly epically failed at my RP
    It was the Uprising one Mika never finished signing up for :P
    It's still going, but I feel really bad because I'm very lame at having an RP...

Anyway, I made the thread, and nobody signed up O.O
    NOBODY signed up!
    I was so embarrassed...
    But then after a week someone signed up saying "It looks like you could use a few members"
    Then a lot of people started signing up and it took off
    But then she dropped out because it was moving too fast (my fault)

hmm... not sure what to make of that...

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    A lot of RP's that I've started [that, in my opinion had fairly good plots] have died. And one thing that I learned about some of my RP's dyeing is that you shouldn't have too many spots, even if they do fill up. One of my RP's had about 17 spots, and even though they all filled quickly, more people dropped out and were hard to get contacted too because there were so many people.

Another thing I've learned with my dead RPs is that I need to just be the Game Master, not a character and the Game Master - way too much to handle.

Right now I'm trying to combine three of my favorite plots and ideas into a [possibly] invitational RP. So, I need to spend time on the plot first.

JBCBlank

Satanist to the core.
    Years
  • Example 2:

We have to actually finish the plot so that we can restart that lil bro.

I only stopped posting (me the owner) because no one was doing anything, my post was the second to last I think. How hard was it? To just... walk threw the gate people, I could very well post a whole paragraph on me just standing there waiting for you to go inside. (Tijuana BC Mexico)

I think that was EA 2.0 (Return)

EA 1.0.... it didn't even get to everyone getting to the meeting place. (point place, Wisconsin. XD)

EA 3.0 (Resurrection) Is still on hold. Where is everybody!? Silver I think you and I need to get it going on our own. What's so hard about getting to South Park Colorado?! I'm there. Just waitin'.

Eh-hem...

As for RP's that have died... pretty much every one I have been in dies.. either because people stop liking me.. or because they think I did something stupid and they don't like it anymore... Seriously.

~JBCBlank

P.S. EA 3.0 needs 3 more angels! maybe more if the others don't show up.

Last edited:

CyBeastSaber

I'M BACK!
    Years
  • Hm... well... I've been in a few that were going great but then, as in everyone's case, slowly trotted to a stop somewhere. I myself am not too much of a great RPer but I do try my best to keep on the plot while interacting with everyone else (I get overly excited and go overboard sometimes though hehehe).

I wish I could start my own RP but writing plots is a nasty little bug for me. I've always wanted to try a school RP(not that these'll last long).

Man of Faith

My, my, Doctor Saunders.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    I've tried to start one RP. Twice. It died both times do to me randomly losing the internet! D:

My new one will probably die...

Years
  • Mah, JC. I posted in EA but no one else has yet to do so. I was really looking forward to using ym new character a little more too XD It's always disapointing when you make a character you actually like/love and the RPG dies or goes no where. I felt this way with Kat's Kingdom Hearts: New Order RPG that originally started on another forum. It got quite far and teh members were all active and looking forward to the next post, but it died due to the owner having some RL problems. That was a sad day...my character Umikx was the most fun I have ever had controling a character in an RPG and the fact that everyone else loved they're characters and interacted well with one another was an extra bonus.

*Sigh*

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • I once made an RP named "Pokemon: The Magical Guardians" (older members might remember it). on Serebii (the original place I posted it at), it wound up being pretty popular until one player shifted the focus of the story from saving the world with magic to focusing on his character and everyone else having to rescue this character from the dark forces

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    [FONT=&quot]I once DMed a game (my first one) and there were (counts) 6 RPers, which in a typical D&D game, there are only 4 RPers. Needless to say, being the first game for everyone game, it was a horrible failure. I had one encounter planned in which a Destranch was hidden in a cave and the players would fall into it, and if they succeeded, they would find an emerald is a corpse's eye socket. Everything after that encounter was a horrid mess. A NPC wizard came and rescued them, after that the 2 boys found a magic black box that had a Reaper in it, the description being, The box is a deathly black and has for skulls with key slots in there mouths. For some reason, I let the Paladin open it. (Which in afterthought was bad on Roll, Class, and Level ideals) Then it came out and massacred everyone. Wonderful game. Wonderful.[/FONT]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back