• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] PokéCommunity's Photography Club

icycatelf

Alex
Years
What do you make of this photo? It's not really one of my "artsy" ones, but I still like the vibe of it. The only thing that bugs me is the alignment. I feel that it should be shifted slightly but, every time I settle on a direction, I feel that it needs shifted the opposite way. I'm thinking that it may be best as-is since I could see it going in any/every direction, but I can't help being bothered by it. @_@

connect_the_dots_by_icycatelf-dcns3k0.jpg

Dot-Lined White, a "poodle moth"

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
More info coming in ~ 3 days!

What do you make of this photo? It's not really one of my "artsy" ones, but I still like the vibe of it. The only thing that bugs me is the alignment. I feel that it should be shifted slightly but, every time I settle on a direction, I feel that it needs shifted the opposite way. I'm thinking that it may be best as-is since I could see it going in any/every direction, but I can't help being bothered by it. @_@

connect_the_dots_by_icycatelf-dcns3k0.jpg

Dot-Lined White, a "poodle moth"

Hmmm first up I would have had it framed against a lighter background. Is there lighter trees to the other side? It currently has a dark background which makes it stand out but a lighter background would make it instantly feel... lighter and up-beat? Like it's hard to explain and there might not be a lighter background option - if so that's all good but ultimately I'd always aim to go the lighter the better! With overcast skies it's best to keep a brown background as opposed to dark trees as... it makes things gloomier and more depressing haha. Still cool though! I think the crop is tight so if I were doing it I would stand further back so there's a bit more wiggle room at the top.

Oh hi

View attachment 86564
Taken with an LG Stylo 3
Great work! I'd try upping the contrast a bit in post and maybe would have done panorama but otherwise good!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oops I can't count! Info coming tomorrow. :)

What have you guys been photographing lately??

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Hmmm first up I would have had it framed against a lighter background. Is there lighter trees to the other side? It currently has a dark background which makes it stand out but a lighter background would make it instantly feel... lighter and up-beat? Like it's hard to explain and there might not be a lighter background option - if so that's all good but ultimately I'd always aim to go the lighter the better! With overcast skies it's best to keep a brown background as opposed to dark trees as... it makes things gloomier and more depressing haha. Still cool though! I think the crop is tight so if I were doing it I would stand further back so there's a bit more wiggle room at the top.

Unfortunately, this was the only side I could photograph it from (I would've been narrowly viewing it between metal posts from the otherwise). I do agree that a lighter background would've looked nicer though. I would've loved to see those out-of-focus orbs of light come through more. Sadly, when taking pictures of things in nature, you often find yourself having little control over the situation.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to keep those in mind in the future. Not too much of interest out there this time of year, but hopefully I can capture some nice shots next spring! I'll still try to post at least one of my older photos each week though.

EDIT: To avoid double-posting, here's my next pic.

dckc0mx-28c1eaac-1eef-400c-bce5-f2e5380b0c19.jpg

Virginian Tiger Moth

Last edited:
Back