• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if Pokémon wasn't a turn-based game?

Years
  • If Pokémon moved away from the turn-based game formula and to a more real-time playstyle, would you still enjoy it? Do you think you would like that type of gameplay more or less than the turn-based one we have now?

Years
  • Part of the reason why I'm not a big fan of Pokemon Masters (despite loving the concept) is because it moved away from the turn-based battle style that we're used to. I'm cool if they want to try real-time battling in spinoffs and mobile games, but if they brought it to the core series, I can't say I'd be a fan of it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It gets intense overtime and you have to react fast if you want to heal, increase stats or dealing damage as you may not have time to decide and think ahead before doing so. So not my cup of tea and I rather enjoy turn based than ATB style because speed fills those ATB bars.

Years
  • While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a real-time battle system, how it's going to be implemented is what's going to matter. Like, Pokemon Masters' biggest flaw is that it's more about thinking on the spot and reacting very quickly first and then strategy second. While there is an element of strategy, I feel like it's usually just trial and error with how quickly you can input your moves before the opponent does that really decides the outcome. In other words, it's a bit too fast-paced, so I'm not sure if that would fit in with the main series.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Pokémon is fine as a turn-based engine. Maybe it could be faster about some things, but in the end I feel it should stay turn-based.

Alternatively, a system like FFX's CTB or some of its variants as seen in FF Tactics would be a nice spice-up of the battle model. Now if you want something more radically different but that still works for a game of monsters vs monsters, something like Monster Hunter's overworld combat engine and weapon / element affinity system would be a tremendous and worthy shake-up.

Brendino said:
    I'm cool if they want to try real-time battling in spinoffs and mobile games, but if they brought it to the core series, I can't say I'd be a fan of it.
    I'm basically of the same impression. PMD has an awesome if a bit overengaging combat system but I don't think it'd be a good fit to the core series, for example.

Back