• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How did you get past Whitney?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
JncCucr.jpg

I think most of us had nightmares of how difficult it was getting past Whitney. Even after you beat her, she accused you of being a meanie and started crying. She eventually gave you the well deserved badge though. So how did you manage to defeat her?

• Did you perhaps have some sort of strategy after getting defeated by her the first time?
  • Maybe relying of sheer power and hoping for a critical hit?
  • Or maybe the use of Sleep Powder/Poisonpowder to whittle it down?

Years
I would usually just overlevel all my Pokemon to the point where I could take her down kinda easily. Combine that with spamming tail whip to lower that stupid Milktank's defense and I could eventually defeat Whitney.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Omg its been so long that I don't even remember how I beat her, but I do remember having a very hard time with her (between her, Jasmine and Claire the female Gym leaders in Johto really had their shyte together). I probably just put her Miltank to sleep and prayed for it to snooze long enough for me to kill it.

Years
I don't remmember very well either, but I do remmember that she took me a whole night to defeat her. Pokémon Silver was my first game of the pokémon series, and the first game that I actually bought for my Red Gameboy Pocket.

When I reached her... well, everything was fine. I was beating every trainer in the Gym, but then... If I'm not mistaken, it was 12am when I got to reach her gym. I was doing a 2nd run, since I didn't know how to get the move "cut" to proceed into the game after the farfetch's quest, or, at least, how to use it. Then I restarted the game, I enjoyed the game, so wasn't painful to restart, after finding out how to make thinks work this time.

About beating her. As I said, after restarting, It was 12am when I finally reached Whitney, but she took me 4hours to beat her. 4am was me super happy, for defeating her! Such great moments of my pokémon life. Sadly, I don't remmember which team I was using. I know that I had chikorita and something.

Trivia: Back then, I always thought that when you lose a battle, is instantly game over, so everytime that I lost to Whitney, I reseted. I never thought that you could grind levels in the wild, or with trainer calls. I fell so dumb now...

Between, I didn't knew anything about english, so it just made everything more difficult.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Komaoto that's funny that you would reset your game after loosing. It reminds me of my first game: Pokemon Yellow. I didn't know how to arrange my line up to make it so that someone else besides Pikachu could come first into battle. This made defeating Brock very hard for me. I had to level up my Pikachu to an insane level to try and get enough leverage to beat him. I didn't learn how to place another Pokemon in the first position until I got to cerulean city. Good times.

Years
Komaoto that's funny that you would reset your game after loosing. It reminds me of my first game: Pokemon Yellow. I didn't know how to arrange my line up to make it so that someone else besides Pikachu could come first into battle. This made defeating Brock very hard for me. I had to level up my Pikachu to an insane level to try and get enough leverage to beat him. I didn't learn how to place another Pokemon in the first position until I got to cerulean city. Good times.

At least I saved before battling against Whitney, but still took to long to beat her. I'm surprised that she wasn't the Champion!
I did that too, but mostly because I always liked Chikorita. I wanted to her being in every battle that I could. Sadly I don't remmember how my battles was handled in pokémon Red, but that Elite Four...

I still don't know if I was playing dumb, or what. The only time where I remmember actualy grinding for levels, is in Victory Road, before E4 in Pokémon Red. I just carried a few potions, and had a hard time back then, and when I defeated Lance, I fell really glad that I ended the game, but no! The rival shows up, and easily beated me because I didn't have any form of recovery.

Up to today I don't have another game that make me fell happy and just the other moment frustrates me. But after all, was a good experience. Don't forgot yours rivals and don't underestimate your opponents, even more if they are miltanks.

Sirfetch’d

I recently beat Crystal again and I think the only strategy I used was being completely overlevelled 8D I didn't seem to have a problem with her at all. I may have even gotten a lucky burn on her, idr really D:

Years
I can't really remember how I beat her myself, most likely spamming attacks. It was a challenge and I may have failed a few times on some files.

The speedrunners way to beat her quite easily and fast is the use a Totodile/Croconaw and use Rage. Seems to work every run.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Did anyone else have as much or more trouble with jasmine? I remember her and Whitney both being the bane of my existence back during my initial gen 2 run. Especially if you chose Cyndaquill as your starter... Gamefreak be like "ya good luck with that"

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
(Hacks/Gameshark theory)

I use my girl pokemons on her

(Normal theory)

Um i have luck? ^^'

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
i've never played through the originals but i am playing through heartgold again so i have a new strategy to beat her.
in my original i made the trade for a machop somewhere in goldenrod, over levelled it, spammed some random fighting moves and then boxed the poor thing xD
in my current play through, i used togepi's meteronome to destroy clefairy, switch into quilava with smokescreen, abuse smokescreen about 5 times then ember the stupid miltank till it was defeated. because of the smokescreen, miltank couldn't hit me, and couldn't power up that stupid rollout. blaze activating helped out too.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Bugsy was the bane of my existence in gen 2--he was just Whitney but with a Bug-Type stacking move. And I always started with Chikorita.

I had to overlevel to get past him, so by the time I got to Whitney, my team was pretty strong and had to problems resisting Rollout (due to Type) or outspeeding to avoid Stomp flinches. As for Attract, that was a little more iffy depending on the rest of my team, but I always made sure my Chikorita was female so I had no worries there, either.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I actually don't remember having trouble with her at all. Maybe because I'm also named Whitney she let me off easy?

I don't think I had a particular strategy. I think I just powered through her with my Pokemon... pretty sure my Quilava was overlevelled.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
i was going to say i just used snorlax...but then i realized i didnt have it yet. I dont remember having trouble with her. I had my nidoking with superpower and my meganium, that seemed to take it down.

Years
Whitney never game me many troubles back in Gold- it was always Clair that did me in.

I wasn't big on status moves when I first started playing, so I can only assume that I just did a bit of grinding before I had to take her on.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Last time I fought her in Crystal I beat her with a lucky burn on Miltank as well as some lucky confusions. Then I just had to whittle her down.

Years
I just kept retrying. Cyndaquil was my starter so it was super hard to get past Rollout, but I do remember getting lucky since she missed a lot. Oh the horror. ):

Back