• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Town name theme?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In Kanto, all cities had color names. In Johto, all cities were based on kinds of trees.

But what theme do the Sinnoh towns have? Anybody know, or have creative alternative suggestions?

Years
  • What I've figured out is the names seem to be a combination of two words, like Twin+leaf, Sand+gem, Flo(wer)+aroma. The names seem to be related to the cities' highlights, like, Floaroma is noticeable for its flowers, Oreburgh is a mining city, (it basically means borough of the ore). But not all cities follow this rule, like Eterna and Celestic.

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • WALL OF TEXT LAUNCHED!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That's a nice post! Yeah, vegetation for Johto seems to make sense.

I guess there is no very cohesive theme for Sinnoh cities other than that they are named after what they are featuring then. This disappoints me a bit haha, I like when it's thematic (8

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • Thank you very much! Thank you, thank you!
    Rethinking about Eterna city and Celestic town... maybe they allude to time(eternity) and
    space(vault of heaven, sky) respectively. This is also supported by the fact Eterna city is an
    antique settlement with a high contrast of tall contemporary buildings and more dated
    households, representing past and present, and Celestic town... well, doesn't have much room...

Oh, and stars, no need to be disappointed! Think it that way : the theme is the theme itself!

And just when I was about to cover MORE locations on an other post, the computer
    restarts point blank!
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
    *deep breath* *miniremo noises*
    Damien used synthesis!

Oblivia
    Spoiler:

Shuffle areas (will cover some Italian translations due to documentation availability and obvious bias :P )
    The computer is frozen! It might not respond!
    Damien hits himself in frustration!
    Great! I'll have to restart over with the silly Shuffle areas...
    Spoiler:

Alola
    Spoiler:

Holon (region and omonymous settlement)
    In philosophy the term holon describes something that is similtaneously a whole and a part,
    possibly alluding to the city and region having the same name (like some small real world
    countries). In physics it's the name of an electron quasiparticle, this could be related to the
    magnetic storms recurrent in the region.

Decolore archipelago
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    As for Johto, there's the exceptions of New Bark town, Goldenrod and Violet city
    (there would be also Azalea town, but the original name is based off a variety of
    cypress)... hm, maybe the in-game Johto settlements are meant to be themed after
    vegetation in general, rather than trees(with the exception of Goldenrod city)?
    Yeah, it's probably more likely vegetation in general rather specific types of vegetation, since like say, Blackthorn and Azalea are kinds of shrubs, but Mahogany is a type of tree.

Goldenrod and Violet do fit into the theme too actually. Goldenrods are some sort of flowering plant, and Violet is, while also a color, also a name for a group of flowers.

Years
  • Hoenn follows the same pattern ad Sinnoh's.

Slateport: Slate is a kind of rock, and might be a reference to the pavings of the city. Port might be there because it's a coastal city.
    Littleroot and Petalburg refer to plants parts. Littleroot may be because it's where the journey begins, and plants begin with the root.
    Lilycove and Dewford have vegetables in their name (lily and dewberry) while also referring to the geography of the places where the cities are located (cove is the same as bay and ford is a shallow part of a river, though Dewford is actually by the sea).
    Rustboro might refer to the fact that the city is old (rust). I don't know what boro means.
    Mauville and Sootopolis both have common suffixes. The first words that form the names are mauve (a color) and soot (I'm not sure what it has to do with the city).
    Fortree is a little obvious, cause the houses are built atop the trees.
    Lavaridge has lava and ridge. It's a cool name because the city is near a volcano.
    Verdanturf is verdant turf, and you can guess why it has this name.
    I'll let the other cities to someone else.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Unova is clouds! I always thought it was super cool because I LOVED clouds as a kid and Unova got to be named after clouds :)

Anville Town -
    Legit got the coolest cloud, cumulonimbus incus. Basically like these are the badass clouds that create the BEST storms.
    Spoiler:

Lentimas Town -
    Lenticular clouds. Basically like, alien type clouds. IIRC some people thought of them as alien space ships years ago but that mighta just been a rumour.
    Spoiler:

Nuvema -
    Literally just means cloud. The loser of the Unova locations.

aannnd I got tired of writing so here we go!

http://pokemonresearch.tumblr.com/post/40394334168/unova-clouds-explained-p1

Y'all should read this too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cloud_types

Legit I LOVE all these clouds but we see very little of these types other than cumulus, cirrus, etc. So Icirrus and Accumula tbh! Actually no, we haven't seen Cirrus here for a while... mostly in WA. Clouds in Queensland suck guys :( Legit though, different places have different types of clouds, yknow those alien clouds I mentioned? They're like mostly found around high altitudes so nope not here but in really coldish mountain-y areas HELL YEA.

Also if you ever see like these lumps in the sky, that means that Anville Town's cloud is coming (those are mammatus clouds btw!) and y'all should avoid because a big nasty storm is coming. :)

Either way - Unova is the coolest with the cloud names imo!

Back