• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The Legend of Zelda approach is what Pokémon should embrace

The Legend of Zelda approach is what Pokémon should embrace

The Legend of Zelda approach is what Pokémon should embrace

Expanding on main series titles with spinoffs, and collaborating more with other franchises, is arguably more engaging than more short-lived mobile apps.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Penned my thoughts on the recent LoZ news and how the approach made with their recent titles should (imo) be embraced by Pokemon. More spinoffs expanding on the main world rather than nigh entirely separate mobile titles! And more Orre/Shadow Pokemon games, dangit!

Read the article and share your thoughts!

Years
    • Seen today
    I agree, and this is from someone who didn't even enjoy Breath of the Wild much.

Looking at Breath of the Wild and even Mario Odyssey, it feels like there's a lot of heart put into both. Sometimes when I play Sword it feels like I'm playing something in the early stages of creation. The spin offs such as Super Mystery Dungeon are continually more interesting than the main series games. I'm more excited for Pokemon Snap 2 than a potential Diamond/Pearl remake.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I so agree with this. When they rush their games the way they are now, they are souring what goodwill remains with their most loyal fans.

I have been playing Pokemon since Red & Blue, and bought almost every main series game. (I didn't buy Black, Black 2, Alpha Sapphire, or Let's Go Eevee) However, after playing Let's Go Pikachu and Sword/Shield, I'm hesitant as to whether I will want to invest in whatever comes next (especially if they bring back GO-style catching. We've hated trying to catch Pokemon that can flee without being able to weaken them since the Safari Zone, and those mechanics only exist in GO as a way to drain items and get people to spend money).

I actually ended up playing Pokemon Conquest and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon again, since I had never gotten everything in those games and I enjoyed them more than Sword/Shield.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • went into this article expecting it to be about wanting an open world pokemon game lol. but i agree with the conclusions! i love botw and i'm not a fan of swsh at all, the rushing was so evident even from the perspective of someone who doesnt care about dexit.

pkmin3033

It is with some small disappointment that I have to bury my initial reaction to this, because BOTW was garbage and I was fully prepared to go into great detail...and I don't have to. Oh well. Maybe next time. xD

Whilst I agree with most of what is in the article, unfortunately this isn't an approach I can ever see being adopted with the core series titles. The design philosophy is just completely different, and I would assume the level of creative freedom afforded by the dev teams is significantly less with Pokemon, which I think is a safe assumption given the state of SnS. Unfortunately, the merchandise for Pokemon - i.e. where the most money is - does not fall into lock-step with the games the way it used to, and it needs to move at a much faster pace than game development really allows to stay relevant...so of course the games have to be rushed to move with it, or they'll fall behind. Zelda doesn't have the same sort of constraints: it'll be ready when it's ready. Unfortunately video game developers only care about how much revenue they can generate, and whilst Nintendo can afford to take their time with Zelda titles, Game Freak almost certainly cannot. Which is bad. Very, very bad. It SHOULD change, but it won't.

Although I DO think that Game Freak could stand to outsource more of their work to improve the quality of their titles - there isn't as much room for improvement in the core titles as there should be, but there IS room there if Game Freak change the way they work. They definitely have the money to do this - largest media franchise in existence, not accepting any excuses here - and Masuda's bullshit reasoning about preferring to work in smaller teams is in no way relevant to...well, anything. There is such a thing as "organisational skills" and if he can't manage it, then someone else needs to do it. It's not uncommon for larger developers to completely outsource parts of their games, and Game Freak, whether they want to admit it or not, are a AAA company. Pokemon is a AAA franchise. With the resources of a small indie developer. Thanks to one man who likes to keep things in-house.

TPC might be responsible for the games being rushed, but Masuda shares more than part of the blame for them being bad. Smaller teams also mean that crunch is more likely to occur and that's not acceptable either - more than once we've heard about how burned out Game Freak employees are, and I doubt that is solely because of the reception to SnS. If they would properly utilise their resources, whilst I doubt it would fix everything, it would make the core series titles a little better. At the very least we could expect every Pokemon to be in the game, and for the games to have consistently higher-quality visuals. Really they have the resources to completely re-do animations as well, but that'd be unrealistic. It'd be easy to just blame TPC for the declining quality of Pokemon games, but Masuda shares a lot of the responsibility for this, and whilst I don't think the death threats made against him are in any way acceptable, I do think the anger directed at him is justified. As a developer he has a responsibility to make the best games he can, not strangle development because he doesn't like working with others.

The spinoffs, though? Well, those are made by different development teams. If quality is going to be found anywhere in the Pokemon franchise, it's going to be found in the spinoffs, which don't have to follow the merchandising train and are completely free to experiment with different gameplay styles, narratives, and visual styles. Literally anyone can do a better job than Game Freak at making Pokemon titles, because they're not shackled in the same way. If we're ever going to get another good Pokemon game, it'll come from an outside developer who are willing to spend the money, manpower, and time on it. But that'll never come from Game Freak again, especially not as long as Masuda is in charge...and yeah, I think it's possible we'll get good spinoffs again that aren't remakes of old good spinoffs. A new PMD title and a new Ranger title would be nice. I can't see us ever getting Colosseum/XD remasters because Genius Sorority aren't in the business of making games like that anymore and haven't been for a very long time, but that doesn't mean aother developer can't make a similar or better experience - Monolith Soft would be a perfect choice for that. Although Capcom and Bandai Namco have both worked on Nintendo-owned franchises in the past - hell, Bandai Namco is working on Pokemon Snap - so they would also be good choices.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Read and agree. There really is so much Pokémon can learn from great series like LoZ, but it doesn't seem like TPCi is about to give the developers/game staff much breathing room. Maybe eventually we'll see a Conquest 2 as I've always wanted a sequel, but it doesn't seem like it'll expand much on the current lore and will mostly be its own thing (same with other spinoffs). Seems like wishful thinking overall, but we can still hope :(

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I agree, and this is from someone who didn't even enjoy Breath of the Wild much.

Looking at Breath of the Wild and even Mario Odyssey, it feels like there's a lot of heart put into both. Sometimes when I play Sword it feels like I'm playing something in the early stages of creation. The spin offs such as Super Mystery Dungeon are continually more interesting than the main series games. I'm more excited for Pokemon Snap 2 than a potential Diamond/Pearl remake.
    Yeah, there does seem to be more effort, or polish and time used, for BotW and MO compared to SwSh. And the PMD remake was fairly fun imo.
    I so agree with this. When they rush their games the way they are now, they are souring what goodwill remains with their most loyal fans.

I have been playing Pokemon since Red & Blue, and bought almost every main series game. (I didn't buy Black, Black 2, Alpha Sapphire, or Let's Go Eevee) However, after playing Let's Go Pikachu and Sword/Shield, I'm hesitant as to whether I will want to invest in whatever comes next (especially if they bring back GO-style catching. We've hated trying to catch Pokemon that can flee without being able to weaken them since the Safari Zone, and those mechanics only exist in GO as a way to drain items and get people to spend money).

I actually ended up playing Pokemon Conquest and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon again, since I had never gotten everything in those games and I enjoyed them more than Sword/Shield.
    Fair enough there. Agreed with the LG style catching not being a good fit. It was annoying not being able to weaken the Pokemon and basically hoping for luck to catch the Pokemon. -_-
    went into this article expecting it to be about wanting an open world pokemon game lol. but i agree with the conclusions! i love botw and i'm not a fan of swsh at all, the rushing was so evident even from the perspective of someone who doesnt care about dexit.
    Haha, I guess I can see that assumption happening from the title alone. Open world Pokemon is its own discussion.
    It is with some small disappointment that I have to bury my initial reaction to this, because BOTW was garbage and I was fully prepared to go into great detail...and I don't have to. Oh well. Maybe next time. xD
    Hah, sounds like maybe it's a good topic of discussion for the VG section. :eyes:
    Whilst I agree with most of what is in the article, unfortunately this isn't an approach I can ever see being adopted with the core series titles. The design philosophy is just completely different, and I would assume the level of creative freedom afforded by the dev teams is significantly less with Pokemon, which I think is a safe assumption given the state of SnS. Unfortunately, the merchandise for Pokemon - i.e. where the most money is - does not fall into lock-step with the games the way it used to, and it needs to move at a much faster pace than game development really allows to stay relevant...so of course the games have to be rushed to move with it, or they'll fall behind. Zelda doesn't have the same sort of constraints: it'll be ready when it's ready. Unfortunately video game developers only care about how much revenue they can generate, and whilst Nintendo can afford to take their time with Zelda titles, Game Freak almost certainly cannot. Which is bad. Very, very bad. It SHOULD change, but it won't.
    I do admit that I don't think this approach is likely either. But it is one I would like to see and think would at least afford TPC to continue with its strategy of making merch money, just by letting spinoff titles or ones not made by Game Freak do the advertising role every so often - more than currently happens anyway.
    The spinoffs, though? Well, those are made by different development teams. If quality is going to be found anywhere in the Pokemon franchise, it's going to be found in the spinoffs, which don't have to follow the merchandising train and are completely free to experiment with different gameplay styles, narratives, and visual styles. Literally anyone can do a better job than Game Freak at making Pokemon titles, because they're not shackled in the same way. If we're ever going to get another good Pokemon game, it'll come from an outside developer who are willing to spend the money, manpower, and time on it. But that'll never come from Game Freak again, especially not as long as Masuda is in charge...and yeah, I think it's possible we'll get good spinoffs again that aren't remakes of old good spinoffs. A new PMD title and a new Ranger title would be nice. I can't see us ever getting Colosseum/XD remasters because Genius Sorority aren't in the business of making games like that anymore and haven't been for a very long time, but that doesn't mean aother developer can't make a similar or better experience - Monolith Soft would be a perfect choice for that. Although Capcom and Bandai Namco have both worked on Nintendo-owned franchises in the past - hell, Bandai Namco is working on Pokemon Snap - so they would also be good choices.
    I wouldn't be surprised at another PMD given the remake earlier this year. Not sure how well it sound outside its opening month, but it did get a million+ sales, which isn't too shabby...

Ranger I'd be surprised, given it heavily relied on the touch screen and the Switch doesn't employ that too much/has no stylus included. Might need alternate controls so it can be played docked too. And yeah, unless GS get staff back, sadly not seeing them making such games again.
    Read and agree. There really is so much Pokémon can learn from great series like LoZ, but it doesn't seem like TPCi is about to give the developers/game staff much breathing room. Maybe eventually we'll see a Conquest 2 as I've always wanted a sequel, but it doesn't seem like it'll expand much on the current lore and will mostly be its own thing (same with other spinoffs). Seems like wishful thinking overall, but we can still hope :(
    Turns out Nobunaga's Ambition is still a thing, with a game in 2017 for platforms including the Switch... that said, I don't think Conquest sold terribly well, and would be surprised to see it get a sequel.

FE x Pokemon, though...

Back