• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Was the Essentials Wiki taken down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walking-in-a-dream

Rollin in the shinies
Years
  • Just as the title says.
    The day before yesterday, the wiki was fully operational, and I had no difficulties- however, it started to act odd yesterday, stating that the wiki did not exist. Today, the page is saying that it has been closed, and while I can easily just use the tutorial maps to find what I need (as I was just looking up simple things for it), the wiki is much easier to transverse.
    If nothing else, then for the sake of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what is going on?
    Spoiler:

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    This is super worrying. Hopefully this is just a temporary issue.

IlligalBeagle

Beagle Goddess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    Hi, Walking. I tried creating a thread about this yesterday. It was taken down yesterday but the site said that the wiki never existed (I had also been on earlier today and it had been there). My thread never went up (Don't know why) but I am rather angry. It has something to do with Pokemon Co. They might have just found the source of the fan projects that they hate so much and now they have attacked. I got a response from Fandom and the Pokemon Co apparently took it down themselves. Even though this is licensed under creative commons and they have no right (I think. I don't really understand this Creative Commons)! Anyway, let us hope that Pokemon Essentials continues on.

Edit: If it doesn't make it, I have a extra copy of essentials that I use for fixing things I break in the PBS files. It is unchanged, so we can upload it somewhere and use it! And if Maruno reads this, PLEASE DON'T LET THESE COMPANIES GET TO YOU HEAD! USE THE POWER OF CREATIVE COMMONS AND SAVE THE LAST SPARK OF POKEMON CREATIVITY LEFT! PLEASE!!! I AM BEGGING YOU!!!! I have seen to many projects disappear before my eyes to let this happen again. The original Pixelmon, Pokemon Uranium, all of them. But if this disappears, then no one will be able to make fan games for pokemon again and the pokemon fan game community will slowly fade away. You have helped this world, you cannot allow this world to die again. Please do not abandon this project, but find a way around this lawsuit. Sue if you have to, but please let this project live on with the power and might as it always has.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    The Wiki's down and the lastest update to Essentials was taken down by Nintendo of America. Looks like Nintendo is in full-on fan-hate mode again. The war on their fans continues, and they won't stop until there are no fans left.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    I mean, knowing that Pokémon Essentials itself is protected by Creative Commons; Better said, CC-BY-SA, it pretty much means any work derivating from it can be used even for commercial use.

For those who don't know what exactly CC-BY-SA is; "This license lets you remix, tweak, and build upon the original work even for commercial purposes, as long as you credit the original work and license your new creation under the identical terms. This license is often compared to "copyleft" free and open source software licenses. All new works based on the work should carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use." - However it's info I saw long ago. Maybe it was changed? Maybe not? No idea. But if it still is CC-BY-SA, then no wonder that Nintendo took it down. (By the way, for those who say "It was licensed with MIT", and yes, I checked the GitHub, it says Pokémon Essentials is licensed with MIT. MIT is the same as CC-BY-SA. same rules - "Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software.")

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    In what sense does a Creative Commons license "protect" Pokemon Essentials from anything? A decent chunk of the artwork distributed with it is copyrighted - for example, the contents of the tileset folder are based on artwork taken from the Gen 3 games - so that's instant grounds for a DMCA takedown.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    Well. Go to the GitHub of Pokémon Essentials and you'll see it's protected by a MIT Copyright License. Which is the same as Creative Commons one, the one I talked about. Ask them. Not us xD

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦
    Gosh, what a time to aspire to become a fan-dev...
    Are we entirely sure it has to do with The Pokémon Company, Nintendo or GameFreak?
    This would be fairly unusual of them...
    I mean, they did, get a few projects had been taken down, but they've proven fairly tolerant and the list still isn't THAT big... (is it? I can't really find full lists anywhere...)
    besides, attacking almost every fan-game at once? That's just... weird...
    or maybe I'm just the blind loyalist someone once claimed I was...
    so, uhm... do we have any information written anywhere? If so, could anyone kindly provide us a link to the source?
    Cheers. Wait, fan-dev Maruno himself stated it?

❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Well. Go to the GitHub of Pokémon Essentials and you'll see it's protected by a MIT Copyright License. Which is the same as Creative Commons one, the one I talked about. Ask them. Not us xD

Any Git repositories of Essentials are NOT by Maruno, and therefore irrelevant.

If it is still offline by tomorrow i will offer to code/create a website for it.

I suggest you don't do anything - not until Maruno has made a decision as to what he wants.

❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦
    Gosh, what a time to aspire to become a fan-dev...
    Are we entirely sure it has to do with The Pokémon Company, Nintendo or GameFreak?
    This would be fairly unusual of them...
    I mean, they did, get a few projects had been taken down, but they've proven fairly tolerant and the list still isn't THAT big... (is it? I can't really find full lists anywhere...)
    besides, attacking almost every fan-game at once? That's just... weird...
    or maybe I'm just the blind loyalist someone once claimed I was...
    so, uhm... do we have any information written anywhere? If so, could anyone kindly provide us a link to the source?
    Cheers. Wait, fan-dev Maruno himself stated it?

Yes, it was definitely from Nintendo of America. The Mediafire download links state that, and the email Maruno received (after asking for an explanation) also said it was removed by "the people who create the Pokemon games".
    It is unusual that they took down the "source", rather than the actual fangames themselves. Can't disagree there.

Shorthorn Studios

Edgewurth
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2021
    Guess all thats left is Pokemon Unity now
    I do hope it is able to either be recovered OR be released here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    Any Git repositories of Essentials are NOT by Maruno, and therefore irrelevant.

I suggest you don't do anything - not until Maruno has made a decision as to what he wants.

Yes, it was definitely from Nintendo of America. The Mediafire download links state that, and the email Maruno received (after asking for an explanation) also said it was removed by "the people who create the Pokemon games".
    It is unusual that they took down the "source", rather than the actual fangames themselves. Can't disagree there.

It was just an guess. Well. Half Guess :P - But w/e. We know now that Nintendo is doing their thing again, which means, A: They don't like Pokémon Essentials or B: instead of working on the new Pokémon game, they got bored and started to bully people. Again.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    Omg this is terrible news. I'm literally on the verge of tears right now. So tired of seeing people's hard work go down the toilet due to corporate greed.

IlligalBeagle

Beagle Goddess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    We will not let his happen! Besides, I dont think that they have asked Maruno specifically to take this down. He has it licenced under creative commons. They are simply displacing it. But we can find it another home. Here is what I am thinking.

1. Create a custom site, hosted by portforwarding and a great amount of binary knowledge. There the file will be found to download. And before you get there a pop up will appear and it will work as a type of release form (similar to the one on Toontown Rewritten) which signs over your rights to or as a worker of The Pokemon Company and a worker of Nintendo.

2. We create a Discord server. There you must apply to get a copy of Pokemon Essentials and if your bio checks out (With a IP search, date joining search, all the searches using a bot) you will be able to get a copy.

3. Make a simple website that isn't really a website where the file is and it will be instantly installed (Like the one on Pokecentral where you type in the address for the adventure pack and it downloads it instantly without even having to go to a website.

I know all of this sounds crazy and theree is probably no budget for it, but we cannot just let these companies full of people who don't care about anything or anyone they hurt do this to the people who have worked so hard to create this. We cannot let the legacy of the fans die!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    Ever see the movie Spartacus? That's what we need to do. We'll all host the darn thing privately and then when the Romans (Nintendo) come looking for Spartacus (the source), everyone exclaims, "I'm Spartacus!"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back