• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Real-Time Roleplaying

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • Thinking about play styles like... Discord rps, RPing in MMOs, D&D/tabletop- how good are you at thinking on your feet while keeping your actions (and perhaps yourself) in-character?

I think I do well enough with like... Discord 1x1s and immediate back and forth adding to a JP, but anything faster than that I get overwhelmed very quickly. I need time to think!

Years
  • I was a little worried about this when I first really started getting into d&d, but I've always been pretty quick-witted and that's held true for improvising in-character interactions off the cuff for the most part. Honestly, it's only gotten easier with time. Of course, I'm not infallible and still slip up every now and then but I definitely succeed more than I make missteps. I'm happy with that.

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
    Years
  • The only roleplaying i have done so far is Real Time Roleplaying on Discord. Though very little anymore since a lot of servers make me uncomfortable.

I don't know how different Real Time is from Forum Roleplaying though.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    ✨Thinking on your feet✨ uh? That is definitely not me! When roleplaying I always take time to think about what my character would do or feel, because I know that if I didn't, things may easily go out of character or not sound convincing. Not to mention, I feel like I would get pretty shy myself in those situations.
    I do think, however, that being able to roleplay well like that is an admirable skill to have and... I can't help but wonder if someday I'll take a leap of faith and start getting better at it myself. Never say never, right?

Years
  • The only roleplaying i have done so far is Real Time Roleplaying on Discord. Though very little anymore since a lot of servers make me uncomfortable.

I don't know how different Real Time is from Forum Roleplaying though.

Forum RPing is typically much slower-paced and here we often look at it more like writing a collaborative story than anything.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm starting to get really comfortable RPing over VC these days. But JPing in text while the other participant(s) is watching is still tricky. I feel like in text I need time to really ensure that I stay in character and remember the situation well enough to take everything into account. When I speak as my character, I more naturally just fall into it I think. It used to be much harder, mostly because I was feeling awkward. But practice makes.... Less un-perfect.

Back