• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: Seven Generations: The Real-Life Pokemon Journey

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I have nooo idea how this process works, but I assume this is ok. I was listening to N's castle bridge music and felt inspired to write this. If this is something you wanna use, cool, if not, cool too, but enjoy and take something away from it?

---------

Children all over the world have only just started their Pokemon journey. The rest of us have been on it for 20 years. If we had a dollar for every Zubat we ran from, or for the amount of times we yelled "Shoot" after throwing a Pokeball, we'd be rich. But alas, we're not. A lot of our money went towards the latest game, the cutest figurines or money to bribe our parents to let us play Pokemon. We traveled over six different regions and somehow after all that time we only grew a year. We've faced shinies - 6 feet tall horrors, and ones that have gotten away. We've done it all, and no matter what we've done in life, we've always had Pokemon to come back to. Our identities, in one way or another, have been shaped by Pokemon. Some of us chose to forgo a social life and instead decided that grinding for the elite four was more important. Others went out and lived life, and rediscovered a familiar feeling when returning to their Pokemon journey.

I went along the first path. I had some friends but I didn't really end up spending that much time with them. Instead I found sanctuary in the teal-coloured confines of my GameBoy. I started to grow up, but Pokemon came along with me. No matter where I went, it was always going to be a part of me - it was empowering. It was a world of its own where I could become a champion if I really tried hard enough, and I knew that wasn't possible in reality. I just went along with life, and carried on my Pokemon journey. Years later if people were to mention Pokemon it would just be like "woah, really?" Sadly only a few years before that hundreds flocked to a local Celebi giveaway. You kinda hope they remember receiving their first Celebi, I still do. Devotion-wise, I did it all! I pretended to be a Pokemon in a friends backyard after just watching Pokemon 2000, I mean, who wouldn't?

When I discovered how cool the Internet was my first thought was to find Pokemon episodes. Times were changing and Pokemon wasn't as big as before. Eventually I stumbled upon a forum and made a few mistakes. I made quite a few friends. I met a lot of people and some of them I wish I hadn't met. That's all part of the journey, though. Sometimes to be the best you've got to go through scary experiences - the only difference is that I didn't have a Pokemon by my side. I made some lifelong friends entirely because of Pokemon. I met my partner and moved to another place entirely because of Pokemon. There's no other way I would have found them, our paths outside of Pokemon were just too different. Despite being sheltered under the Pokemon blanket most of my life I was able to achieve a lot I might not have if it wasn't for Pokemon introducing me to people. I traveled to a different state by myself, pretty much on a whim, because they happened to like Pokemon too. I had my first kiss, and every other kiss, because of Pokemon. I fell hard for people, and sometimes it felt like I couldn't get back up. I received letters and gifts from a long distance relationship like in the movies - all because of Pokemon. I sometimes dreamed of crushes, wishing I could fly away and meet them - all because of Pokemon! If it wasn't for Pokemon in the first place it's pretty fair to say I wouldn't have the life I have now. I know everything I do, everywhere and everything I am, it's entirely because I made the choice to play Pokemon all those years ago.

A few weeks ago at Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon's midnight launch young kids were there, eagerly awaiting the new Pokemon games. Their parents, decked out in Pokemon costumes, appeared to most likely be the inspiration. It's amazing what can happen in 20 years. The majority of us started a journey together all those years ago, and no matter what path we've taken or will take, there's a good chance that most of us would be different if we hadn't have played Pokemon. Now, in 2016, kids all over the world start their journey (either fueled by their parents nostalgia for Pokemon Go, or a genuine excitement for the latest games). Some may choose to opt out of a social life, and carry on the Pokemon journey for the rest of their life, and that's cool. That path isn't one to ridicule, or question. Some take a little longer to reach the elite for than others but we'll continue to eventually be champions no matter what road we take.

Congratulations Pokemon, for creating seven generations of wonder and excitement. Here's to even more!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years

• Applauds

Fitst of all, you generally propose before you write here, but this is fine too.

+1 from me to at least start editing this (looks fine at a quick glance, but this is a necessary evil). Get 1/2 more approvals and the fun part can start.

Years
  • This is definitely a great article idea, especially with 20th anniversary celebrations still going strong and with SM release, it's a great time to look back at Pokemon's history.

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Nick Wilde said:
    What is the purpose of this article?

I agree. The purpose is very vague and from what I can fish from it is that the article is about the transcendent and life changing quality of Pokemon. Personally, I'd think the point would be a lot clearer if you started with the anecdote about the Sun and Moon midnight release as a way to introduce how Pokemon changes one's life.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It was more like sort of motivational (for anyone that knows or is a younger player) - that kids starting their journey now might struggle through life and might feel like they've made the wrong choices at times it's gonna be all OK if you have Pokémon by your side. That's the message I really wanted to convey. That it's OK to be weird too I guess.

Back