• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The most challenging Pokemon you raised?

Years
  • Was their a special pokemon that you had to grind to an unusually high level just to evolve or learn a necessary move?

Maybe instead you had to work hard to enhance a Pokemon's condition or increase their affection or friendship?

Or perhaps you poured your time into breeding the perfect pokemon?

What stood out to YOU as a challenge?

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    For me, it was a Female Dream Ball Eevee, with perfect IVs for a solo Sylveon run. Took me about 20 hours of breeding to get it, then transferred it to ORAS to teach it Hyper Voice, reset my X game, then send it over again. Spent the beginning of the game in Poké Amie and Super Training x_x

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    For me, it was a Larvesta in Pokemon Blaze Black 2. While Volcarona is a special attacker, Larvesta has higher Attack. And since I went for Special Attack EV's and not for Attack EV's, Larvesta wasn't that strong. Luckily, Drayano made it evolve at level 45 instead of level 59.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Trying to use the Deino line on my team in Gen 5 was pretty tough because of how late they evolve. A few other Unova Pok?mon also have pretty obnoxious evolution conditions.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • From a Gen 1 perspective, I always found Growlithe to be a pain. Is in the slow XP group and doesn't learn Flamethrower until level 50. Only other Pokemon that rivals that is Dratini learning Hyper Beam at 50 but it's the lone Dragon type and therefore takes a lot to raise. Due to the fact Growlithe takes forever to learn it's signature move, I often choose to go with a different Fire type(Vulpix or Charmander) rather than grind away.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Deino to Hydreigon. The level of evolution is just too high (same goes for a lot of Gen V Pok?mon).

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2023
    Going old school but I'd say Magikarp back in Pokemon Emerald. If you wanted a Gyrados early game, you have to catch a level 5 Magikarp then go through 15 painstaking levels of switch training before finally evolving it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Going old school but I'd say Magikarp back in Pokemon Emerald. If you wanted a Gyrados early game, you have to catch a level 5 Magikarp then go through 15 painstaking levels of switch training before finally evolving it.

Not to mention 35 more levels before it learns Hyper Beam. Magikarp was a pain even back in Generation 1 so that's not a bad pick.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like BlazingCobaltX, the Deino line.

It's even worse in Sun & Moon because you can catch one at Ten Carat Hill through Island Scan (Tuesdays only) but the low level means you'll have to invest a lot of time into it, and with 7th Gen bringing back 5th Gen's EXP mechanics, it will not be an easy ride.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2020
    For me, it was my Deino in Pokemon Black. I love Hydreigon, and when I finally got one, I wasn't disappointed: that thing pretty much swept the Pokemon League! But it was a real pain leveling that Deino up, it was really weak. Zweilous was better, but was still very hard. If I catch a Deino in a future game, I'm gonna do it again, though.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah. Fully evolving Deino is pretty challenging. Even Larvesta has its challenge. A lot of gen 5 evolve quite later than others.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • A Darumaka in my Black nuzrun and it wasn't worth it. Not only would her attacks miss non stop, but she also took a lot slower to level up compared to the rest of my team. Once when fighting the rivals Pansage literally every attack used missed until the last one, and that was pretty much when I gave up on her. Though that was until I heard that when these things evolve their ability would change, so then I gave her one last shot where she got her ass kicked by a wild Zebstrika.

Luckilly that happened before the ghost tower so I immediately caught a Litwick soon afterwards, and it immediately became one of my best teammates as a Chandelure.

Years
  • A Darumaka in my Black nuzrun and it wasn't worth it. Not only would her attacks miss non stop, but she also took a lot slower to level up compared to the rest of my team. Once when fighting the rivals Pansage literally every attack used missed until the last one, and that was pretty much when I gave up on her. Though that was until I heard that when these things evolve their ability would change, so then I gave her one last shot where she got her ass kicked by a wild Zebstrika.

Ah I see Hustle wanted to be a bitch towards you. I wanted to use Darmanitan initially in Black but Darumaka's Hustle ability and long level-up turned me off. I also liked Chandelure's design much better.

But I guess why they made Darumaka hard to train was because of that "high risk, high reward" factor.

Last edited:

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • I'm 100% sure the hardest Pok?mon I've raised is Noibat in Omicron. I know it's a fangame, but I got the bat-dragon at level 15ish. That was a freaking slug to get it up to evolution as I was training up my other teammates. The payoff was fantastic though, and it became one of my strongest in the blink of an eye.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    never had any of that.
    But I've been putting a lot of time into "perfecting" my Gardevoir. See what stats, moves, etc is best overall. For myself as well as for playing against random people.
    Eventually I need a team to not lose to stupid things :/

Back