• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I know lots of people don't know how to script.
If you learn I guarantee a high payoff.
I have basic knowledge of scripting and it has already helped me.
Learn to script!

If you edit the terrain tags in the editor do you still have to edit them in the database?
How can you delete all of a species from your party?
How can you delete the first one of a species from your party?
How can you delete the last one of a species?

I anyone can answer any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

The first question on the top is the most important.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Just a small question: I'm switching the experience points etc. of the Pokémon summary to the first screen a la D/P. I've looked it over and over, but I don't know which part will switch over the blue experience bar. I've switched over the numbers and what have you, but I can't find the coding for the bar.
In PokemonSummary there are several defs, importantly one per page. Page 1 is handled by the def starting at line 118, and page two at line 227.

Look at the page 2 def, and find any reference to experience. It's then a simple matter of moving those lines up to the def for page 1. I've had a look, and I found the following lines:

Code:
 growthrate=pokemon.growthrate
 startexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(pokemon.level,growthrate)
 endexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(pokemon.level+1,growthrate)

[_INTL("EXP. POINTS"),172,224,0,base,shadow],
  [_INTL("NEXT LV."),172,256,0,base,shadow],

[_ISPRINTF("{1:d}",pokemon.exp),472,224,1,Color.new(0,0,0),Color.new(208,208,200)],
  [_ISPRINTF("{1:d}",endexp-pokemon.exp),472,256,1,Color.new(0,0,0),Color.new(208,208,200)]

[_INTL("EXPERIENCE"),196,202,0,base,shadow],
That's 254-256 (calculates some numbers for EXP), 271-272 (displays the EXP bar using the calculated numbers) and 297 (the heading for the EXP section).

Note that the last 3 lines appear in a "textpos=[" block, so when moving them up remember to put them into their corresponding textpos blocks (order doesn't matter, they all get displayed in the end). And the picture of the box that the EXP bar sits in it part of the background picture, so you'll need to edit the summary1 and summary2 pictures in the Graphics/Pictures folder (but I assume you're editing them anyway).

I've not tried this, but I doubt it'll go wrong. As far as scripting questions go, this is one of the easier ones.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
I've not tried this, but I doubt it'll go wrong. As far as scripting questions go, this is one of the easier ones.

Yes, I know it's a very simple question! XD See, I'm accustomed with all the definitions etc. and how to switch around things, at least with the summary, however, I switched those lines that you talked about (because I knew they related to the experience) and the bar wasn't switched. So, I thought that I had missed something, but I guess I didn't.

Actually, the exp. bar isn't displaying in the summary any more, so I inserted the original script back to see what change I made to do this, but the exp. bar will still not display, so I'm a bit confused! Thanks for your help. I'm trying very earnestly to get better with these things, but I am absolutely clueless as to why the exp. bar is now MIA. XD

Maruno

Years
Yes, I know it's a very simple question! XD See, I'm accustomed with all the definitions etc. and how to switch around things, at least with the summary, however, I switched those lines that you talked about (because I knew they related to the experience) and the bar wasn't switched. So, I thought that I had missed something, but I guess I didn't.

Actually, the exp. bar isn't displaying in the summary any more, so I inserted the original script back to see what change I made to do this, but the exp. bar will still not display, so I'm a bit confused! Thanks for your help. I'm trying very earnestly to get better with these things, but I am absolutely clueless as to why the exp. bar is now MIA. XD
I had a quick look in a fresh copy of Essentials (no modifications), and the EXP bar in the Summary doesn't show. It's a problem with Essentials, not something to do with what you've been doing.

EDIT: There's no code to draw the experience box. The only code there is a bit of calculation and ways to display the text (i.e. the numbers). The blue bar simply isn't part of it. I'm having a look at the battle scene to figure out how to insert the blue bar.

EDIT2: No, I don't know enough coding to handle pictures (or more specifically, how to create filled rectangles). Even more specifically, I don't know how to create a rectangle object (I'm sure I could resize it and fill it in once I have it, though).

Last edited:

Waudby

I had a quick look in a fresh copy of Essentials (no modifications), and the EXP bar in the Summary doesn't show. It's a problem with Essentials, not something to do with what you've been doing.

EDIT: There's no code to draw the experience box. The only code there is a bit of calculation and ways to display the text (i.e. the numbers). The blue bar simply isn't part of it. I'm having a look at the battle scene to figure out how to insert the blue bar.

EDIT2: No, I don't know enough coding to handle pictures (or more specifically, how to create filled rectangles). Even more specifically, I don't know how to create a rectangle object (I'm sure I could resize it and fill it in once I have it, though).

I believe you're looking for this line in the battle system:

Code:
self.bitmap.fill_rect(@spritebaseX+expGaugeX,@spritebaseY+expGaugeY,self.exp,4,PokeBattle_Scene::EXPCOLOR)

I'm not very good with RGSS but from what I can tell the base object for the rectangle is;

Code:
self.bitmap.fill_rect(x, y, w, h, colour)

I'll leave the rest down to you.

Maruno

Years
I believe you're looking for this line in the battle system:

Code:
self.bitmap.fill_rect(@spritebaseX+expGaugeX,@spritebaseY+expGaugeY,self.exp,4,PokeBattle_Scene::EXPCOLOR)
I'm not very good with RGSS but from what I can tell the base object for the rectangle is;

Code:
self.bitmap.fill_rect(x, y, w, h, colour)
I'll leave the rest down to you.
The thing is, I did find that line, and figured out what the numbers meant (that's why I said I could resize the rectangle once I had it, by making w equal the floor of a simple formula that would calculate the length - h=6 here). The problem is that when I tried to implement it, it called "bitmap" an "undefined local variable or method". The line of code you quoted there likely just defines the size/position/colour of the rectangle, but doesn't create the object in the first place. At least, that's my guess (given that the battle version has earlier references to "bitmap").

This'll just be a case of me not knowing object-oriented programming (I only know Fortran95 and IDL at the moment). I'm sure I'll get to figuring it out in time, although help would be appreciated (for no reason other than PokeBattle_ActualScene is rather cluttered, and it'd take a while to figure anything out from it).

Waudby

The thing is, I did find that line, and figured out what the numbers meant (that's why I said I could resize the rectangle once I had it, by making w equal the floor of a simple formula that would calculate the length - h=6 here). The problem is that when I tried to implement it, it called "bitmap" an "undefined local variable or method". The line of code you quoted there likely just defines the size/position/colour of the rectangle, but doesn't create the object in the first place. At least, that's my guess (given that the battle version has earlier references to "bitmap").

This'll just be a case of me not knowing object-oriented programming (I only know Fortran95 and IDL at the moment). I'm sure I'll get to figuring it out in time, although help would be appreciated (for no reason other than PokeBattle_ActualScene is rather cluttered, and it'd take a while to figure anything out from it).

Well I'm not an expert in Ruby, but the best way to find out what bitmap could refer to is to check what function this comes from in the Battle System and find out what is base class is, I imagine that it's some sort of standard drawing system's API. Bitmap will probably be a reference to the screen's image that is sent to the backbuffer.

However I could be wrong.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Question how do u make ure own pokedex (regional) in which script and how do you make it upgrade later

Waudby

Okay a small update for people looking for it. To fix blueguy's experience in the summary screen problem paste this code at line 284 for PokemonSummary;

Code:
overlay.fill_rect(336,292, (pokemon.exp-startexp)*128/(endexp-startexp), 6, Color.new(64,200,248))

that should now show a working experience bar.

NOTE: the coordinates in that code are for the standard essentials summary screen, if you have your own or are using D/P just replace them with you own coordinates;

Code:
overlay.fill_rect(x, y, (pokemon.exp-startexp)*128/(endexp-startexp), 6, Color.new(64,200,248))

Hope this helps...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Pokemon.txt; it's the Rareness entry. The lower the value, the harder it is to catch. It can be anywhere from 0 (impossible without Master Ball) to 255 (basically 100% catch rate, like most weak Pokémon such as Rattata).

Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2017
Pokemon.txt; it's the Rareness entry. The lower the value, the harder it is to catch. It can be anywhere from 0 (impossible without Master Ball) to 255 (basically 100% catch rate, like most weak Pokémon such as Rattata).

And how you can do that in the first the rareness are in 0 and after that you win (for example) the pokemon's league the rareness are 40???

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Can any one help me add the Type graphics to the move selection screen in the battle system. Like I want to make something sort of like the DP selection, but I don't know how to add the type graphics. Please help. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Minor

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
I have a question about trainer battles.
Do the trainers just randomly select a move or do they pick out of wisdom? I'm just wondering cause it seems like its random to me.

Maruno

Years
I have a question about trainer battles.
Do the trainers just randomly select a move or do they pick out of wisdom? I'm just wondering cause it seems like its random to me.
PokeBattle_AI contains a basic AI for the computer trainers. While their choice of move is basically a random decision, the AI provides each of the moves with a use probability, which can depend on various things (e.g. Surf is more likely to be used if the opponent (you) is using Dive, because it'll do more damage). There are probability modifiers for most of the moves.

So it's random, but a controlled kind of random.

Absola

~ Let me fly away
Years
does someone know how i can change textcolors like white or red

Just read the notes that goes with Pokemon Essentials. Have a look where it says "Message System".

Code:
\[XXXXYYYY] - Displays the text in the base color XXXX and shadow color YYYY. Each color is a hexadecimal 15-bit RGB color. Examples:

* \[043c3aff] - Red
    * \[06644bd2] - Green
    * \[65467b14] - Blue
    * \[318c675a] - Gray

Or you can simply put \r for red and \b for blue text colour. There are also some event examples for this on the Test maps.

~ Absola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back