• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] So what's the deal with Emerald? Which, in your opinion, is truly better?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    There is less easily accessible information.

Yes and that's literally the reason FR is better. I don't wanna spend three hours googling for answers to a basic question just to make one obscure simple thing happen in my hack when I can easily use a different ROM and a ROMBase and either have it come with the change already there, modifications that make the change easier, or with the downloads being in an article that clearly explains how I should go about doing <insert obscure part of my hack>.

Having more tools and being easier to hack is the thing that makes FR better. Screw the "engine upgrades", it's irrelevant when there's no documentation on forcing obedient mythicals or changing shiny chance (TSK's tool should be illegal TBH ;) ), for example.

Years
  • it's irrelevant when there's no documentation on forcing obedient mythicals or changing shiny chance (TSK's tool should be illegal TBH ;) ), for example.

Sorry man, but you're simply wrong. Fire Red's research is nothing compared to how much pokeruby and pokeemerald are documented.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Sorry man, but you're simply wrong. Fire Red's research is nothing compared to how much pokeruby and pokeemerald are documented.

That doesn't make sense and is blatantly the opposite of the truth. If there were more documentation on Emerald then it'd be used as the definitive hacking version, not FR, which most tools are made for, because of the documentation.

Delta231

A noob
    Years
  • That doesn't make sense and is blatantly the opposite of the truth. If there were more documentation on Emerald then it'd be used as the definitive hacking version, not FR, which most tools are made for, because of the documentation.

Well, I agree with DizzyEgg, right now Emerald and Ruby are most documented than Fire Red because we have their source code for them. (Ruby 94.5% and Emerald 54%).

You may wanna check out these links:

https://github.com/pret/pokeruby

https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald

Having the source code is more better than hacking with tools and don't worry PokeFireRed will come out soon eventually i.e 100% disassembled and documented.

Hope that clears it! :smile:

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • That doesn't make sense and is blatantly the opposite of the truth. If there were more documentation on Emerald then it'd be used as the definitive hacking version, not FR, which most tools are made for, because of the documentation.

Yeah, back when those tools were made, this was the case.

Right now though, having source code helps a bit more compared to an idb interms of increasing your understanding of the code and how it works. Sometimes when I was doing something on FR, I've looked at the EM decomps to find the same file because it's just easier than reverse engineering the code yourself. As someone who has a hard time reading code, one would probably prefer text documentation though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Well, I agree with DizzyEgg, right now Emerald and Ruby are most documented than Fire Red because we have their source code for them. (Ruby 94.5% and Emerald 54%).

Hope that clears it! :smile:

Kind of irrelevant to my argument TBH. Even before the other disassemblies, FireRed was always easier to hack because it had more bases and tools to work with, making it more fun and better to use.

Years
  • Kind of irrelevant to my argument TBH. Even before the other disassemblies, FireRed was always easier to hack because it had more bases and tools to work with, making it more fun and better to use.

It has not been the case since 2015 or even earlier. The days of FR are gone mate.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    It has not been the case since 2015 or even earlier. The days of FR are gone mate.

In popularity, maybe, but the tools for FR outnumber the tools for Emerald by far. Unless you use the disassembly (which virtually requires you to know C) Emerald is notably more difficult.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    I've only ever used Fire Red.

But, i've been messing around with pokeemerald in the last day or so.
    And produced the screenshots in my signature.
    And all the graphics I've inserted. It's been far easier to do, than anything I've done with FR.
    (especially the Trainer Sprites).

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    I've only ever used Fire Red.

But, i've been messing around with pokeemerald in the last day or so.
    And produced the screenshots in my signature.
    And all the graphics I've inserted. It's been far easier to do, than anything I've done with FR.
    (especially the Trainer Sprites).

Finally a gen 3 game where I can have an early Furret :heart_eyes:

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2019
    In popularity, maybe, but the tools for FR outnumber the tools for Emerald by far. Unless you use the disassembly (which virtually requires you to know C) Emerald is notably more difficult.

You don't need to know C necessarily to hack the disassemblies. It's... Well, let me quote DizzyEgg from another topic I read the other day.

DizzyEgg said:
    Now, you DO NOT need to know C to make great use of the decompilations. Think of it this way, you don't need to know asm to make a great romhack, right? You may use tools, script, map and use existing routines made by other people. It wil be the same with decomps, except asm changes to C.

The new approach will also have many advantages such as:
    - no worrying about ANY pointers. That means you can edit any script, whether yours or the one already existing in the game, modify it, make it longer, shorter at any time and it won't overwrite anything.
    - replacing graphics is as I said before as simple as changing one image in a folder to another, no hustle with repoiting things in a hex editor.
    - no 'free space' concept. The compiler puts everything at run-time, so you don't have to worry if area 0x800000 - 0x8A00000 is free to use or one of the 10 patches you're using occupies it. Naturally, the 32-MB limit is still there but it is far more than enough space.

If you want to edit the map, just use pretmap. Scripts, trainers, parties, hidden items... All that is just text files in the data folder. Unless you're actively making changes to the mechanics and engine (in which case, C is much simpler than raw machine code.) the most you'd have to look at a C file for is changing values in a table, and that doesn't require you to know the whole language. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Back