• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I watched the new trailer and I’m not as excited about this game anymore

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • After watching the trailer for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, despite the game's beautiful visuals and addition of new features such as an open-world environment and the ability to explore the Pokémon universe with friends via multiplayer, after paying close attention to the trailer, I have noticed particular details about the trailer that I would not enjoy if they remain included in the game upon release. To clarify, whenever the trailer displays the region from a panoramic camera angle, I noticed much of the region seems to be open fields, country roads, and desolate lands, without much emphasis on cities and towns. The trailer only showcases a few large buildings, which only seem to make a handful of appearances. This is highly unlike Pokémon Sword and Shield, which showcased trailers featuring the city life as well as the wild areas. In addition, I noticed the trailer showed various buildings that may function as PokéCenters resembling gas stations that exist seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

As a result, my problem with the new trailer is too many locations appear to exist in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully, the trailer is only showcasing what the developers had completed thus far and would add more detailed cities and towns in a similar way to Pokémon Sword and Shield's trailer, or perhaps the developers merely didn't show the cities and towns yet. Otherwise, the game would simply be a desolate wasteland with only one or two possible big hub cities like Pokémon Legends: Arceus, but prettier. While I definitely will enjoy the freedom of playing an open-world Pokémon game, especially with friends via multiplayer, and the competitive aspects of Pokémon as usual, I would be highly disappointed if the game offers little from an environmental standpoint. Furthermore, albeit I often couldn't care less about a Pokémon's design, but rather its statistics, abilities, and learnsets, I am not a fan of Koraidon's design, which is the new legendary Pokémon serving as the mascot for Pokémon Scarlet. Despite many people praising his design from what I noticed, I think he looks like he has a tire stuck in his throat, which makes it hard for me to take him seriously. Miraidon, the box legendary for Pokémon Scarlet, looks fine however.

Years
  • personally, i like what i've seen... at least so far. i understand the criticisms though, because even though this is very much a "show, don't tell"-esque trailer, it raised more questions than answers. what is the rest of the region going to look like? why do the pokemon centers look like that? are the visuals/graphics going to be improved? i can understand people's unease, but i feel like all that can be said is wait and see for further trailers to showcase more of the region so we can be more informed before we make our decision.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can say that I'm left wanting more, which I guess is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. But yeah, the amount of sprawling landscapes, while cool, shouldn't be the entire game. I'm interested in seeing the (futuristic?) cityscapes and how Pokémon interact within them, sort of like in the live-action Detective Pikachu movie.

I'm not disappointed by what I saw of the environment, I just hope that's not all of it, lol.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The game is probably largely completed. We have only had 2 trailers really. And it was like all pokemon games, they show off new pokemon first. On the map in the very first trailer, there is at least 5 or 6 cities. And that is only the west and south parts of the regions. They never show a massive amount with this trailer. And they have become even more secret like since 7th Gen.

I think a good example of past regions would be Orre. So everything is just vastly spread out. Which is why the Legendary Pokemon look like motorcycles. Very similar to that of Orre.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok, I mean I was soon caught by PLA when I saw the trailer. I was also amazed when I saw the Swo/Shi one. Nothing at all with these ones. I think it's mainly the graphic style that doesn't convince me, but the rest is alright. I am not truly excited and there are several things that don't truly convince me, including the new pokemon, the rival and the protagonists' look. On the other hand there are several things I liked, from the choice of a double Professor, to the legendaries and also the undeniable coolness of Quaxly. If I have to be honest, it's not a game I am excited to play. It tells me nothing much for now. I am curious about two things: the plot and the mechanic. If those turn out to be good, then it gets my full attention. For now I am "yeah ok, not bad". I would have preferred a PLA DLC rather than gen 9.

Back