• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Entirety of Funimation anime library being transferred to Crunchyroll

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
  • Not sure why this wasn't a thread yet. I put it here but if for whatever reason a mod feels like it belongs in Anime & Manga area instead then move it I guess.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/funimation-anime-content-moves-to-crunchyroll/

TL;DR... the entirety of Funimation's anime catalogue/library will be transferred into Crunchyroll. According to Funimation themselves (at least on their official Discord server and yes I'm on there so this is how I know this) 80% of it will be moved by the end of this month with the other 20% by mid-April. Personally... I'm pretty sure it's going to take longer than that so I'm more expecting all of it to be transferred by May or June.

Now whether this is a good thing or not... is debatable. First of all, they aren't letting current Funimation subscribers (which was me) have their subscription fully transferred into Crunchyroll. All they really did is if you had a Funimation subscription prior to the last day of February you are being given a free 60 day trial of Crunchroll premium. However, this doesn't apply to people who already had a Crunchyroll subscription. Big OOF there. Luckily I didn't. I watched some stuff on Crunchyroll before... but without actually making an account. So admittedly I'm one of the lucky ones.

I mean yes you could argue it's good... and it is in a way. Because there was lots of stuff on Crunchyroll that wasn't on Funimation subscription so I'll get to watch that now. Plus if Digimon Adventure 2020 english dub goes to Crunchyroll... obviously I'll be able to watch it now and that's a good thing. They just announced this out of nowhere and expected everyone to accept it and be excited for it. Which didn't happen. At all.

Personally I feel like this more bad than good but just me I guess. I liked my Funimation subscription and I don't know if things are uncut on Crunchyroll or not. I've heard they aren't. So it's a good thing I buy physical stuff as well. But everyone is being given no choice but to accept it obviously.

It's more expensive than what I was paying for my Funimation subscription as well. But considering how large it's about it be... (again assuming absolutely everything gets transferred) it's worth it in the long run. I guess.

They really should have announced this sooner with a slower build instead of this. But it is what it is I guess.

Thoughts?

Years
  • Overall, I feel it's a good thing. I'm really tired of shows (not just anime) being hosted on multiple sites that require you to have several different subscriptions. It's really exhausting, so having more things in one place is very good for me, and may just make me more inclined to subscribe. The only subscription site I'm a member of is Netflix and even then it's only because my friend lends me her account lol, I'm not going to pay myself when all the shows I want to watch are on like 5 different websites, anime included. It's not worth the massive monthly price subscribing to those to just watch 1-2 shows from each.

But about the sub, so they're giving everyone who had a Funi sub 60 days free of Cunchyroll Premium? So what about the people who were already subscrribed to both services? They essentially lose out on the money they paid for Funimation since it's getting merged. Hopefully they will be refunding those... :x

Years
  • I think merging their content all into one place is an objectively good thing for consumers since it saves money in the long run and provides a more comprehensive library in one place so nobody has to mess about with bouncing between a million services if they don't want to. That being said, I don't agree with the way they're handling moving subscriptions across. Even with the free trial period Crunchyroll will be offering as part of the deal, people are still going to be losing out on money spent.

So, good idea for the long term but executed poorly for consumers in the short term.

Back