• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XSE vs. Pokéscript

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
  • XSE. There is no debate. I don't know why people continue to think that Pokéscript is an option. It's not. Don't use it. Ever.

AustinWolff

has left
    Years
  • the only reason i ever used poke script is because I downloaded a glitchy version of XSE, thinking it was terrible. its not, I redownloaded XSE and I have almost learned everything to know about scripting

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2012
    I only know how to use poket script. Isn't the scripting as bit different?

AustinWolff

has left
    Years
  • I only know how to use poket script. Isn't the scripting as bit different?

not really. for poke script movement commands you use #binary, while in XSE you use #raw. also for speech, in poke script here is how to write a message:

Spoiler:

while in XSE it is like this:

Spoiler:

but XSE makes it easier to compile, and you can select scripts throughout the game and actually open them up in XSE. Pokescript is really for beginners (i definitely used), but once you get more advanced it is good to use XSE

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • not really. for poke script movement commands you use #binary, while in XSE you use #raw. also for speech, in poke script here is how to write a message:

Spoiler:

while in XSE it is like this:

Spoiler:

but XSE makes it easier to compile, and you can select scripts throughout the game and actually open them up in XSE. Pokescript is really for beginners (i definitely used), but once you get more advanced it is good to use XSE

Please don't post unless you know what you're talking about. And pokescript is not good for anyone, novice or not. It's because of people like you that people still use pokescript over XSE.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • Pokescript is disgusting...
    what bothers me is that nobody considers PKSV as an option.
    It's really a great thing!
    The syntax is near exact, even.
    PKSV even has rough thumb-disassembly.
    It also avoids some loop-holes in disassembly ( for example, when decompiling a script that has different pieces that reference eachother-- XSE decompiles them twice, PKSV decompiles once )
    However, both XSE and PKSV have great advantages and disadvantages.

Pokescript though...
    uhm...
    OS integration...sort-of?
    That's the best I can think of for Pokescript. Otherwise, it's not even comparable to XSE.
    I've also heard it compiles garbage-data.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I used to use PokéScript for my first two games, and I had to say that it's pretty buggy and such a hassle, plus, it detects an error of your script DURING the process of compiling your script on your ROM, which results that your ROM will now be filled with pointless script commands that you won't even use. Also, it won't inform you of the error it detected(well, not specifically, at least).

XSE is WAY better than PokéScript.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I'm gonna have to agree with FullMetal...

I like XSE, but I like PKSV much more. To me, it's easier to use and has more options (atleast to me, haven't used XSE in awhile.) but along with everyone else, Pokéscript/witch is the WORST scriptor ever! I used it when I first started hacking because I found an outdated tutorial online somewhere, that was years ago. Now hacking has changed so much to the point where it can be fun to script, and not annoying.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • It's like comparing IE with Google Chrome/Firefox. They're both browsers, they both do their job, but the only ones who still use Internet Explorer are the ones that haven't tried the other ones (or downloaded them yet).

Thumbs up! :D
    This is the best comparsion :D
    You are absolutely right about this :D

AustinWolff

has left
    Years
  • PokeScript cannot even be considered as option.
    XSE is way better in every aspect and the most important thing is... it actually works without those bugs that were mentioned.

exactly! I once tried to make a hack using poke script, but it kept on glitching up! I'm very glad I crossed over to XSE before I got too attached to poke script

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2014
    Here is my way of thinking.
    I started off using Pokescript when I creating my first hack. It turned out all right however it just takes to long to do anything.
    I started using XSE which is amazing and I still use it.
    Its quick and actually easier to learn.
    PokeScript doesn't work on so many levels.
    Although I use XSE for R/S/E but PKSV I find easier for LG/FR. :)

Years
  • I'm using Pokéscript for my current hack, it's easy if you learn but I only hear good stuff about XSE. I don't want to learn more about scripting for a different script editor, but I'd recomennd XSE

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • I tried starting out with Pokscript. I almost quit hacking cause I couldn't figure it out. I stumbled upon XSE, and, now I am much happier. Seriously, if you don't want to go insane, I would suggest XSE. Then again, if you don't really mind... I haven't tried PKSV yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2015
    Personally I use PKSV, but I don't do much scripting. I have no experience with PokeScript or XSE, but PKSV seemed pretty easy to learn.

Back