• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Bank support arrives January 2017

blue

gucci
Years
I'm quite surprised by this. I fully expected them to make this readily available to coincide with the release of Sun & Moon.

Is this the S/M update that we were waiting for ??

Nah, that's still to come in about 10 minutes from now.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
At first I was surprised by the late update, but I guess it's to stop dataminers.

Either way, two months after release isn't to bad. That's a fair amount of time to wait for the support.

Years
Kinda annoying we have to wait for next year to use Pokemon Bank with Sun & Moon, but the good thing is that at least we finally got a confirmed date for it.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Hmm, better late than never, I guess.

On the plus side, at least this gives the game makers time to make sure Pokébank is running without issues before Sun and Moon support is added.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Honestly, if you were able to use Pokemon Bank as the games come out, it would be kinda unfair. Getting level 100s to fly through the game. It gives everyone 2 months to beat the game.

I don't see a problem with it to be honest. It forces you to play with what you can get in games first.

It also gives me time to try to finish the dex without aid of another game, which I enjoy. They I can pick the choose which ones I want to send over instead of doing a large amount of send overs.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Also it will make the online battle scene more clean. Obviously people will still manage to Pokesave.

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
Years
Extremely disappointing in my opinion. Almost two months after the release. Pokemon bank was introduced in XY. There's no reason it shouldn't be available for the release of the game coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the series. Guess I'll be starting Sun first, since I had plans for Moon that involve the need for bank.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I love that global pokedex idea...I actually had an idea for that a while back so I'm really glad they've decided to do something like that.

I don't really see what the big deal is....if I recall we had to wait a while before we could transfer during the 6th generation too so it's not like we'll be missing out anymore than we did back then. We'll survive.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
I think a two month wait is fine, it gives us time to live with the new Alolan Pokemon and train them up and have a unique metagame for a while before all the PokeGen'd crap gets transferred in. Plus two months is nothing compared to the 3-4 wait we had after X/Y, not to mention they were just starting PokeBank for the first time, and it was such a mess that the servers crashed delaying it in NA for another month or so.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Has there been any talk of expanding the number of boxes in Bank? I've been out of space for ages, and am really sick of constantly trying to find Pokemon to release. I'd be willing to pay more for a space upgrade, if they wanted to give different size options.

I wouldn't mind having bank access to bring in some of the Pokemon I've bred for use in my main playthrough, but I guess I'll wait and use them on my second version. There are a couple of Pokemon that I would really like to have on my team, though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Has there been any talk of expanding the number of boxes in Bank? I've been out of space for ages, and am really sick of constantly trying to find Pokemon to release. I'd be willing to pay more for a space upgrade, if they wanted to give different size options.

I wouldn't mind having bank access to bring in some of the Pokemon I've bred for use in my main playthrough, but I guess I'll wait and use them on my second version. There are a couple of Pokemon that I would really like to have on my team, though.

I doubt it. 100 boxes is a huge amount. I am honestly not sure how anyone could fill them up in Pokemon Bank. I haven't even filled up the 30 boxes in game. Most likely the in game storage system will have a few boxes added.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I doubt it. 100 boxes is a huge amount. I am honestly not sure how anyone could fill them up in Pokemon Bank. I haven't even filled up the 30 boxes in game. Most likely the in game storage system will have a few boxes added.

Boxes can go by pretty quickly if you do a lot of breeding and such, especially with using the same set of boxes for several games. I didn't think I there was any way I would fill up 100 boxes when I started gen VI, but I was surprised by how quickly they started to fill. It's nice having a lot of filled boxes for Pokemiles/BP, but I haven't really been able to stick much into them from ORAS because I filled up so much of the space from X alone (plus a bunch of transferred stuff). Fortunately, I have enough space on ORAS to store all of my in-game Pokemon for now, but it's a pain when I want to move around large numbers of Pokemon at once, and I could see it getting worse between two new games plus RBY Pokemon (which I don't currently have that many of, but I'd like to train a lot more of at some point).

I think I first filled up all of my boxes in Diamond, which was when I started breeding and doing more trading. This is the first generation where I've had to start releasing en masse, though (and wondertrading a lot, but that takes too long).

Years
I'm slightly disappointed support won't be out at launch, but oh well. I'll deal until then. :)

A Living Dex up to Gen 6 takes up 1/4 of that space on its own. That's without having one of every form of Pokemon -- my Living Dex has only 1 Vivillon pattern, 1 Deerling pattern, ect.

My Bank is 24 boxes of Living Dex and another 25 boxes allocated for Apricorn Ball Pokemon. 3 boxes are set aside for Dream Ball and I'm missing a ton.

If you do any serious collecting, filling 100 boxes is not impossible at all. I imagine they would've announced more storage by now, though, so I'll probably have to mass transfer a ton of Pokemon out to fit in Gen 7 Pokemon. :(
...though at least I'll have plenty of time to do it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
I just wonder if you will have to pay money in order to even transfer the Pokemon over. You already have to pay money in real life for transferring Pokemon from gen 5 to 6. I can only imagine the devastation on the faces of Pokemon fans who cant transfer over their Pokemon from X, Y OR or AS to Sun & Moon because they cant afford it.
Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with paying money to store your Pokemon. But I do draw the line at having to pay money just to transfer a set of Pokemon from one gen to another.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
$5.00 a year isn't that inaccessible.

Not if you're already paying 6x that amount for the latest Pokémon games every year.
True, but then you got those like myself who don't know how to pay for stuff online.
Sure I got the money to cover it but I don't know how to use it on the internet. Meaning I have basically collected all the Pokemon from gens 1-6 for nothing & am going to start from scratch null & void.

Darux

Its ya boi Guzma
Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 25, 2017
I spent all my balance on Nintendo badge arcade, so I can't even use Pokebank.
Atleast I have a home screen full of pixel Pokemon badges.

Years
I like it coming out in January makes us have to use in game Pokemon first which is fine by me

I don't mind using only the Pokemon found in the game. I did that with my 6th Gen games since I didn't have another 3DS.

And remember, it took a few months after X/Y for Pokemon Bank to initially release as well, meaning the first few tournaments were restricted to Kalos Dex-only Pokemon. So expect Sun & Moon's first few tournaments to have only Alola Dex Pokemon.

Back