The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

View Poll Results: Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 14th, 2016 (1:57 AM).
Slow Thursday

Nature: Quiet
I hadn't really thought that way but I do like where you're going with changing after keeping it for so long. I'm not too keen on the dice idea but only cause of the 5, which would kind of make the challenge moot. The only time I can think this would be a problem is with baby Pokemon and Pokemon that learn a lot of support/utility skills (like some psychic and bug Pokemon) since it would make them basically useless. I guess it would be a hard mode rule?

This also makes me think of people wanting to use heart scales to get specific attacks since a lot of the final evolutions of Pokemon get really strong attacks at level 1. I guess there would be a rule like you having to put it over the oldest attack?

Old January 14th, 2016 (3:42 AM).
Hater of ads

I don't think so. I swear, there will be a time where there is a point where popular franchises will be inspired by nuzruns, and people will recognise them.
    Old January 14th, 2016 (8:14 AM).
    Has officially quit PC

Strangely enough I have never heard of this before or have any idea what this is. Is it bad that I'm clueless about this? Should I start doing this? I don't really know to be honest. What do you think I should do?
    Old January 14th, 2016 (8:59 AM).
    Spam Hyper Beam for days

Nature: Jolly
    No offense, but I'm just going to skip everything and say:

People should always play however they want to get the most enjoyment for themselves. I can go on all day about what I can do for myself to maximize my fun. No one else would ever need to do the same. Want to share your opinion? Go for it. But as soon as you want to enforce your opinion as best, then you're going down a very hostile road.
    Old January 14th, 2016 (9:24 AM).
    Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...

Nature: Modest
    I want to add to what everyone else has said. Just because someone doesn't care for nuzlockes or aren't familiar with them, doesn't make them any less skilled. That's a very terrible way to think.

Starter Dark-Type Legendary #TeamTrivia
    Old January 14th, 2016 (9:26 AM).
    響け〜 響け!

Aren't plenty of people into Nuzlockes though? I've never really observed any lack of interest in them. If you go on youtube, there are entire channels dedicated to them. Even here on PC there's a pretty big Nuzlocking community and we even have an entire section on PC dedicated to them and variations on them. I'm certain most of them love them for the same reasons you do :)

I actually like the idea of Nuzruns a lot. It puts a nice twist on the game and it causes you to build a stronger bond with your Pokémon. They can be downright dramatic sometimes, since there's nothing sadder than losing one of your close partners to a stray critical hit.

Trust me, Nuzruns are plenty popular these days and people are constantly coming up with new twists and variations on them.

Old January 14th, 2016 (9:45 AM).

Nature: Quirky
    A Nuzlocke is an entirely optional thing, pretty much any challenge in general. Remember, the way to play a Pokemon game is entirely up to you, not forced.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/
    Old January 14th, 2016 (9:57 AM).

Nature: Sassy
      I haven't done a nuzrun yet. Mostly cause I have possession issues, meaning I have trouble letting things go cause they are mine and I end up hording them. I know I could just box the mons but a lot of the nuzrun variants I would like to do have a "no boxing rule you must release." Yes I know that is a pretty lame excuse but it is true. But another excuse is I have like 50 different challenges going right now despite the fact I promised my self I would do 2 at most. Maybe after they are all done I will do a nuzrun. Though first I'll be asking the professional nuzplayers for tips on playing the game.

Shiny Pokemon I have caught: Rapidash (SS), Linoone (E), Spinda (E), Bibarel (Pt), Weedle (FR), Garbodor (X), Chansey(x5) (X), Audino(x2) (X), Flechinder (Mn), Whiscash (Mn), Magby (Mn), Caterpie (X)

Hall of Fame Post
      Old January 14th, 2016 (10:25 AM). Edited January 14th, 2016 by LilyGardy.
      Lilligant Trainer

Nature: Gentle
        No.

I have never done a Nuzlocke and likely never will as the concept of them does not strike me as fun.

I have played Monotypes of a few types (Grass, Psychic, Fairy) and found them to be great fun but would not tell anyone they should play a Monotype if they didn't want to.

Nobody should be forced to do a Playthrough they do not want to after all games are played for fun.

One more thing you can write stories or draw comics about any type of playthrough.
        Old January 14th, 2016 (11:05 AM).
        Fruit Pokémon

Part of the appeal of Pokémon is being able to play through the game however you want. Whether you're a casual player or more hardcore throughout the story is up to the player. There's absolutely nothing wrong if someone does not want to do a Nuzlocke challenge because it doesn't interest them.

Besides, there are many other challenges people can do to make the game more difficult for themselves that they might enjoy more than Nuzlocke. Monotype and NFE challenges are also available, and they may appeal to some people more than Nuzlocke does. Nothing wrong with that.
          Old January 14th, 2016 (11:48 AM).
          Lord

People perceive challenge differently. There's even people who are happy if they can beat the games as is, without additional rules that make playing the games harder. Forcing someone to play with challenge rules does nothing but taint the experience they get from playing the game and when that happens, they don't have fun and when they don't have fun, they stop playing the game.

I've watched a lot of Nuzlocke runs in the past. In fact I've watched so many of them, I don't like them anymore. I've also attempted playing such a run, but I stopped pretty quickly, as I found it to be pretty tedious and I prefer skill based challenges over ones that can be broken down to stupid RNG and mindless grinding, in order to replace a Pokemon that fainted.

On another note: I like playing challenges that force me into one single team of six and that don't allow for grinding, as it involves a lot more planning and strategizing, but more importantly: the only way to fail this challenge is when I give up, instead of when I run out of Pokemon, because of the RNG deciding to screw me over.
          That, btw., also gives options for stories, mainly involving the adventure those six Pokemon, so comics and co are no Nuzlocke exclusives.
          Old January 14th, 2016 (12:23 PM).
          "...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."

Nature: Quirky
            No.
            I have never done a nuzlocke and probably never will. I like to play the game with the pokemon I choose. If I want a challenge I can use competitive battling in the post game.

Everyone likes to play their own way, many people probably wouldn't play the games if nuzlocke was forced on them.

Click my trainer card for my Trade Reviews
            Due to poor health and other issues coming up in real life, I wont be able to be on here and breed very much for a while. If you have a trade with me please send me a pm, I have some trades in my pc that I never heard back about.
            Old January 14th, 2016 (10:57 PM).
            Challenge God

I don't know if this would work with everyone. Like you said, bugs learn a lot of utility moves, so I just looked up Butterfree on Bulbapedia. In the first generation, it learns 5 consecutive non-direct damage moves (PoisonPowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Supersonic, Whirlwind) between Confusion and Psybeam (in Red/Blue, or Gust in Yellow). I don't know if there are any that go longer in between damaging moves (and don't really want to check lol). Maybe you could add something to the rules saying that a Pokemon may not keep a move if it has learned 5 moves since it learned the first move, unless deleting the first move would leave the Pokemon without any damaging moves (horrible wording that would need to be fleshed out, but you get the idea).
              Old January 15th, 2016 (5:42 AM).
              Hater of ads

Sigh... I guess you guys are right. I guess I just 'over-appreciated' nuzruns. I mean, I've been doing them for nearly 2 and a half years now, so it's probably just an addiction that made me feel that other people can't have different ways to have fun with their games. So I lost the battle, I now get that different people can have diferent challenges.
                Old January 15th, 2016 (8:44 PM).
                A World Of Pain!

Yes and No, and I posted my thoughts on Nuzlocke in one post but I'll expand on it anyway, and I'm actually planning for a regular Nuzlocke run soon despite my randomizer run last year.

Regarding that run, I actually did one Blue Randomizer Nuzlocke run with movesets randomized, and I completed it with just 2 deaths, both due to a Graveler in Diglett Cave due to the moves Explosion/Self-Destruct and Counter (which are one hit KOs at Full HP). Needless to say, my experience with it is really really tedious, since I have to grind my Pokemon to higher levels just to avoid my Pokemon to faint. It's even more tedious when you have to replace your fainted Pokemon with lower-levelled Pokemon just to grind them up to the levels you have in your team (After that part where my two Pokemon faint, I have to grind my Hypno and Electabuzz for 10+ levels, yes, it's more than 10 levels). The worst part is that it's possible that your Pokemon will faint due to grinding too even if your Pokemon are higher levels and grinding is actually the reason why my only 2 Pokemon faint in my Blue Randomizer run (After the 2 faints, I decided to solve it by grinding them in a less risky area but the EXP given was lower). Some argue that I can just have some no-grinding clause or just grind your Pokemon to a certain level like a few levels below some gym leaders, but the problem is that grinding is probably the only way to beat a Nuzlocke. I do watch some Nuzlocke runs on YouTube (but only for a few parts), and most of the losses are due to not grinding enough to higher levels, or other stupid reasons (such as fastforwarding the game a lot and you'll often choose the wrong moves leading your Pokemon to faint, or right after your Pokemon faint you'll still proceed anyway to lead to more deaths instead of immediately heading back to the Pokemon Center and replace the fainted one with one you have in your PC and grind that up). Needless to say, I have never seen someone lost a Nuzlocke despite the user's party is higher or equal to the opponent's levels. And back to grinding, I don't think grinding your Pokemon up to higher levels just to avoid them to faint makes it challenging, since it's more towards annoying. Although it is true that you can lose due to grinding like what I posted my experience above, but if you can get through it, it's still tedious since you have to fight the same lower-levelled Pokemon over and over like 50+ times. Unless you're looking for decent shinies, the grinding part is really really boring but it's the major aspect of a Nuzlocke.

However, I do see why people enjoy doing these Nuzlockes, since there are a lot of variants of it compared with any other challenges. The comics and stories for them are pretty interesting and there's one comic I read which is pretty good. I do see the challenge behind it in terms of a regular Nuzlocker's perspective especially you want to form strong bonds with your Pokemon and you just don't want to make them faint. With these reasons above, I'm actually alright with more people getting into Nuzlockes just to let them experience how they are like.

I'm doing a regular Nuzlocke run soon (just a regular Nuzlocke, no additional rules etc.) and it's more towards giving it a second chance. Perhaps I might like the challenge more.

Currently playing: The Ultimate Rodent Solo Run Challenge Marathon
                  Pokemon Blue Raticate Run: (8/8) (COMPLETED)
                  Pokemon Silver Furret Run: (16/16) (JOHTO + KANTO + RED COMPLETED)
                  Pokemon Sapphire Linoone Run: (8/8) (COMPLETED)
                  Pokemon Pearl Bibarel Run: (2/8)
                  Pokemon White Watchog Run: (N/A)
                  Old January 16th, 2016 (10:40 PM).
                  I AM THE REAL SONIC

Nature: Adamant
                  Maybe you can do it where a slot cannot keep the same move for more than X levels, forcing you to eventually swap out each slot.
                  Old January 17th, 2016 (10:10 AM).
                  Harbinger of Calamity

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Necrum View Post
                  Maybe you can do it where a slot cannot keep the same move for more than X levels, forcing you to eventually swap out each slot.
                  That's a really good idea, tho it may have to be for X moves learned (thinking 7) because some pokes learn moves every 4 or 5 levels, while some other ones (legendaries, Smeargle) go 10 levels between moves and some (Ditto, Magikarp) only learn less than 4 moves.

EDIT: this idea is better rip

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
                  I don't know if this would work with everyone. Like you said, bugs learn a lot of utility moves, so I just looked up Butterfree on Bulbapedia. In the first generation, it learns 5 consecutive non-direct damage moves (PoisonPowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Supersonic, Whirlwind) between Confusion and Psybeam (in Red/Blue, or Gust in Yellow). I don't know if there are any that go longer in between damaging moves (and don't really want to check lol). Maybe you could add something to the rules saying that a Pokemon may not keep a move if it has learned 5 moves since it learned the first move, unless deleting the first move would leave the Pokemon without any damaging moves (horrible wording that would need to be fleshed out, but you get the idea).
                  What I might do is have the dice roll mechanics, except re-roll if it would leave the poke with no damaging moves.
                  It protects fields and warns people of disaster,
                  so one ought to be grateful for it.

Challenges - TCG - Trade Corner - Daily
                  Old January 17th, 2016 (11:34 AM).

WHY WON'T THE JOHTO E-4 DARK TYPE LEADER FREAKING LOSE TO ME!!!!!!!! Her Houndoom ohko's MY NIDOKING with a flamethrower WHAT THE HECK and they are around the same lvl.

Shiny Pokemon I have caught: Rapidash (SS), Linoone (E), Spinda (E), Bibarel (Pt), Weedle (FR), Garbodor (X), Chansey(x5) (X), Audino(x2) (X), Flechinder (Mn), Whiscash (Mn), Magby (Mn), Caterpie (X)

Hall of Fame Post
                    Old January 17th, 2016 (1:31 PM).
                    Slow Thursday

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Necrum
                    Good idea. This would close a loophole people could abuse.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
                    That is a good idea. Make an exception so Pokemon that don't learn damaging moves don't have to delete their only attack. In Red and Blue, there is a 20 level jump between the 2 attacks Butterfree learns naturally, so unless you plan on constantly using TMs to give it an attack, you'd be out of luck with it.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ddrox13
                    That's a really good idea, tho it may have to be for X moves learned (thinking 7) because some pokes learn moves every 4 or 5 levels, while some other ones (legendaries, Smeargle) go 10 levels between moves and some (Ditto, Magikarp) only learn less than 4 moves.
                    Learning less than 4 attacks is fine since there could be an exception saying you can ignore the rule about only keeping an attack for so many turns if the Pokemon learns 4 or less attacks. Of course, we would have to make another rule for Smeargle since someone could just hold onto sketch in their third or fourth skill slot so it won't try to learn sketch again. Maybe have a rule that says you have to use sketch within 9 levels of learning it?

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Obsideon
                    WHY WON'T THE JOHTO E-4 DARK TYPE LEADER FREAKING LOSE TO ME!!!!!!!! Her Houndoom ohko's MY NIDOKING with a flamethrower WHAT THE HECK and they are around the same lvl.
                    Base 110 Special Attack + STAB damage + No resistance/Nidokings base 85 Sp. Def. Do you have a water or rock type Pokemon you could use instead? Or a way to give it an status ailment? You could also use an x sp. def to lower the damage.

Old January 17th, 2016 (1:51 PM).
                    Harbinger of Calamity

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
                    Also her Houndy is cute. That is all.

I'm gonna assume you are doing a Solo Run here because your mono is Bug, I miiiiight leveling up if you are even-level in a solo. Houndoom is only base 95 speed to your 85, so get up a few levels and try to outspeed. If you do outspeed and the problem is failure to OHKO Houndoom you have made a terrible mistake.
                    It protects fields and warns people of disaster,
                    so one ought to be grateful for it.

Challenges - TCG - Trade Corner - Daily
                    Old January 18th, 2016 (8:49 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ddrox13 View Post
                      Also her Houndy is cute. That is all.

I'm gonna assume you are doing a Solo Run here because your mono is Bug, I miiiiight leveling up if you are even-level in a solo. Houndoom is only base 95 speed to your 85, so get up a few levels and try to outspeed. If you do outspeed and the problem is failure to OHKO Houndoom you have made a terrible mistake.
                      Nope it is the new years event challenge and I guess I will have to grind.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
                      Base 110 Special Attack + STAB damage + No resistance/Nidokings base 85 Sp. Def. Do you have a water or rock type Pokemon you could use instead? Or a way to give it an status ailment? You could also use an x sp. def to lower the damage.
                      Well I have a slowpoke but um it is to slow so I get hit with dark pulse if I try. Even with the choice scarf.

Hall of Fame Post
                      Old January 18th, 2016 (8:55 AM).
                      Slow Thursday

Quote:
                      Well I have a slowpoke but um it is to slow so I get hit with dark pulse if I try. Even with the choice scarf.
                      I looked at the resolution challenge and your current team isn't posted (unless I completely looked over it?) so I can't really help too much. Um, if you have that Quilava/Typhlosion (if you evolved it) could work pretty well. If you still have smokescreen still left it would be really useful. Also, ground type Pokemon don't resist fire types but ground types are super effective against fire types.

Old January 18th, 2016 (9:21 AM).

Quote:
                        I looked at the resolution challenge and your current team isn't posted (unless I completely looked over it?) so I can't really help too much. Um, if you have that Quilava/Typhlosion (if you evolved it) could work pretty well. If you still have smokescreen still left it would be really useful. Also, ground type Pokemon don't resist fire types but ground types are super effective against fire types.
                        I thought they resisted but I did know about the effectiveness. And my team is.

Quilava (yes I have smokescreen cause it is useful)
                        Slowpoke (knows surf)
                        Ampharos (thunder wave power)
                        Furret (I mostly use him as a pivot or to kill ghosts with sucker punch and shadow claw sometimes psychics)
                        Nidoking (knows dig and earth power)
                        Fearow (It knows pursuit and roost along with fly and aerial ace)

Hall of Fame Post
                        Old January 18th, 2016 (9:26 AM).
                        Slow Thursday

Quote:
                        I thought they resisted but I did know about the effectiveness. And my team is.

Quilava (yes I have smokescreen cause it is useful)
                        Slowpoke (knows surf)
                        Ampharos (thunder wave power)
                        Furret (I mostly use him as a pivot or to kill ghosts with sucker punch and shadow claw sometimes psychics)
                        Nidoking (knows dig and earth power)
                        Fearow (It knows pursuit and roost along with fly and aerial ace)
                        Okay, you could use Ampharos to paralyze houndoom to lower its speed or use Quilava for smokescreen to lower its accuracy. As long as Nidoking doesn't get hit or can outspeed it, Houndoom should be easily killed with Dig since its base attack is higher than sp. attack (although the stats may be different so you need to check that. If you can, try giving Nidoking something to keep it in the game, like a focus sash.

Old January 18th, 2016 (9:31 AM).

Quote:
                          Okay, you could use Ampharos to paralyze houndoom to lower its speed or use Quilava for smokescreen to lower its accuracy. As long as Nidoking doesn't get hit or can outspeed it, Houndoom should be easily killed with Dig since its base attack is higher than sp. attack (although the stats may be different so you need to check that. If you can, try giving Nidoking something to keep it in the game, like a focus sash.
                          I think it is to early in game to get that I only got the choice scarf cause the mom npc sent it to me. And I forgot to mention that Amphy can use cotton spore (very very useful).

Hall of Fame Post
                          Closed Thread

Quick Reply