• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Pika Storm

learning to script
Years
  • Map Name: Upside down world

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: I am making preparations to make a torn world like in platinum, I have the sprites, and I'm working on how to temporarily change the sprite, and right now I am working on the tiles for the roof gravity field. There are supposed to be two houses at the bottom of the paths, but their tiles won't load properly, so they don't show up :tired:

edit: I also rememembered that the rocks I put in don't show up either

Mapshot:
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9672/tornworld.png

Credits: alistar for alot of tiles and palets

Years
  • Well, I'm not really sure how to rate that, as what you're really showing is the idea, along with some tiles. As a map, it's pretty small and insignificant, really.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    well heres one of the gate buildings in white light

gatebuilding.png

credit to me for most of the tiles and kyle for a couple of his

Years
  • I know you've designed it to be like that, but it looks a little too dark in my opinion, but that's a tileset issue. As for the map itself, it looks good. You've got a nice balance and a good amount of scenery. Nice one! :D

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I know you've designed it to be like that, but it looks a little too dark in my opinion, but that's a tileset issue. As for the map itself, it looks good. You've got a nice balance and a good amount of scenery. Nice one! :D

Thanks its not actually that hard to fix so ill play about with it and see what light level will look best thanks

9.5/10
    Love the tiles.
    It's a little too dark.

thanks a lot i designed most of them my self from hgss screen shots

Years
  • Well, it's very difficult to see what you've changed :P [/joke]

It looks phenomenal to me, but I think you should consider having a grass free route going south, as it is in all the other games, and you should force the player to go through a bit more going north (you can skirt around most of the larger patches). Otherwise, I have no complaints. Superb!

Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Ok I got inspired by a freind to do a cystal onix themed map

so here it is

crystalcave2.png

I also did a quick lake of rage revamp aswell
    lakeofrageprecopy.png

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013

so here it is

crystalcave2.png

lakeofrageprecopy.png

For the cave:10/10
    I love the tiles and like the over all map.

For the lake:8.5/10
    i don't like the grass, house, and sign.
    Other than that I love it.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Hate to say anything, for I am just the insignificant noob, but isn't this the Map rating thread? Why are the maps being according to the tiles used?

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Hate to say anything, for I am just the insignificant noob, but isn't this the Map rating thread? Why are the maps being according to the tiles used?
    Urgh, we've had this discussion before. Basically, the tiles determine how good the map looks. You could have perfect placement and a great idea to your map but if the tiles are dodgy then it looks rubbish.

But it is a fair point. And don't feel like I'm bashing you. (Too late :P)

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Haha, no worries.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I can think of a few maps that used Stock Emerald tiles (if you don't like them, if you like them then sorry xD)which look terrible, but the map looked very nice, so shouldn't you, instead of rating a map on the tiles used, rated on how the person used the tiles they had on hand.

V0RT3X

Scientist at fluid dynamics
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016

so here it is

crystalcave2.png

lakeofrageprecopy.png
    I'll give the cave 9/10: it looks great, it's original but i'm still missing the final touch
    the Lake of rage i'll give 6/10: the gyarados got the blue spikes on his head, the shiny version got it in red; The house looks like something saurav created and it is far from original. The good thing is that you added the fog and the tiles are good (but i still think you got some of saurav, if you do so, give credit for him).

I know it's kinda bad comment, but face it, everyone just see the thing he don't like first.
    Maybe if you got a litle more experience you get the lake map really good, but the highest score i'll give on non-original map is still 8/10

Back