• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Map name: Viridian Forest
    Map editor: RMXP
    Comments: Tree Tiles made by Alucus_of_Borg (I think), the grass autotile is made by Alistair (almost forgot to say that), and the bright grass path and cliffs are my edits.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

10/10

Tiles are godly and the map layout is impressive.
    I always thought games that had old regions in them are not worth playing but, this is good enough to change that opinion.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Hahaha. Thats a great idea with the map Peeky. I love how half of the town is under water.
    I've never seen anything like that before.
    I'd give it a 7/10.
    The left hand side of the map is very plain. Maybe mix up the houses a bit to add variety. And maybe add a bit of a white wash (white pixels lol) around where the bits of trees and roofs are poking out of the water.
    Edit:
    Luka, 8/10.
    The map is given new life takes to the elevation of it on the mountain tiles.
    I never liked the rip of that shrine- really brings it down. The color detail in the middle front of the shrine is not there at all. If you changed the paths up a bit, so some were maybe soil dirt, and maybe another sandy/tan colored path, it would bring that map up a point for sure. It's a great layout.
    Also, the stretched part of the top left (the building) should be shortened. If you fixed that, that map would look like it's straight from gamefreak- which would be a 10.

Last edited:

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
  • Map Name: Berrilion Town

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: The starting town for the game I am working on. I need suggestions on how to make the town less "blocky" and have more variety, since I am new to Mapping. Tiles are Kyledove's.

Mapshot: Attachment

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Neo-Dragon, I have taken into account of all the comments you made and hope that this version would got for your 10. I personally like this more and it was more complicated than the one before.

So here we go again...
    Map Name : Viridian Forest
    Map Editor : RPG Maker XP
    Comments : All the new tiles added are mine. This includes the new shrine and the gate buildings which are my rips from HGSS that I have modified to match my needed resolutions and 2D layout.
    Map Shot :
    Spoiler:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Looks better. The building in the top doesn't really make snse since if the player walks out that building, why is there tress behind it? Ya know.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Looks better. The building in the top doesn't really make snse since if the player walks out that building, why is there tress behind it? Ya know.

Yes but you have to take into account that during gameplay, that whole top part wont fit onto the screen, so the building will be cut off just before you see any trees.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Well as long as the player doesn't see it, it doesn't matter what's on your map. You could have digimon tiles placed in a pokemon game and it doesn't matter if the player doesn't see it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Neo-Dragon, I have taken into account of all the comments you made and hope that this version would got for your 10. I personally like this more and it was more complicated than the one before.

So here we go again...
    Map Name : Viridian Forest
    Map Editor : RPG Maker XP
    Comments : All the new tiles added are mine. This includes the new shrine and the gate buildings which are my rips from HGSS that I have modified to match my needed resolutions and 2D layout.
    Map Shot :
    Spoiler:
    I really don't like the roof of that shrine. It just looks out of place.

I also wonder if you could redesign the stairs to fit in better with the rest of the forest.

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
  • Map Name: Berrilion Cave

Comments: Tiles are Kyledove's. Any suggestions? This is my first cave, and is meant to be the first route in my game, only in a cave.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Map Name: Berrilion Cave

Comments: Tiles are Kyledove's. Any suggestions? This is my first cave, and is meant to be the first route in my game, only in a cave.

One of the great fixes of the 4th Gen was the introduction of side wall caves. Unfortunately stairs haven't been done quite so much (certainly not top stairs for 2D, anyway). Having said that, your uppermost and lowermost sets of stairs look really bad there.

At the bottom left is what looks like a passageway to either another part of the cave or to outside. If it's outside then there should be light there like the other entrances. If it's another part of the cave, then presumably it's on the same level - in which case it's better to have it all in the same map. Transitions between cave maps should really only be done between different levels (via stairs/ladders/lifts/mine shafts/etc.).

Is this the entire cave part of the route? It looks a bit short. Now you probably shouldn't have it as long as the one between Pewter and Cerulean, but certainly longer than this map. If the routes between towns are too short, it starts to look silly calling the two towns separate towns when logically there's right next to each other.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Map Name: Route 1

Comments: The first Route in my game. Using KyleDove's Tiles.

Map:
    Map Rating Thread

Years
  • I think you should try to force the player to walk through more than a minimum of 2 grass tiles on the first route. It also looks very square, so try to mix it up a little and use less straight lines. Other than that, it's a nice job. I'd question streetlamps in the middle of a route, though ;)

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Ok this is actually 2 maps together. The home town and the first route out of the town

WARNING LARGE IMAGE

LINK

Tile credit to kyle pokemondiamond alistair and my self

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    I think you should try to force the player to walk through more than a minimum of 2 grass tiles on the first route. It also looks very square, so try to mix it up a little and use less straight lines. Other than that, it's a nice job. I'd question streetlamps in the middle of a route, though ;)

I don't understand what you mean by using a minimum of 2 grass tiles on the first route.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Alucus, that's a 9/10 map..
    Really great. Nice tile choice. Nice layout and pretty complex looking too.
    The only reason it didn't get a 10 is because it wouldn't play very well.
    Because the houses are all kinda the same, it would be easy for the player (when playing at game resolution) to get confused what part they are at of the map. Since there is no landmarks as such, the player might just get lost.
    If you changed up some of the houses, to give a visual clue to the player where they are on the map- that's a 10 for sure.
    Good job.

ForeverRed

teeheeee
    Years
  • Well as long as the player doesn't see it, it doesn't matter what's on your map. You could have digimon tiles placed in a pokemon game and it doesn't matter if the player doesn't see it.
    Well have you taken to account that for example, when you access ilex forest from azealea town on hgss, there are trees covering the start of the forest?

Anyway, this is a pretty old map, as I've now upgraded my tiles:

Map Name: Sprouting Town

Comments: Tiles are all mine, very few are kyles, some are WT's.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Years
  • I don't understand what you mean by using a minimum of 2 grass tiles on the first route.
    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. What I meant is this: if I were playing that map, there's a way that I could walk through it by only touching two grass tiles. You should make it so that the player has to walk through more grass in order to get to the other end, or else it's not really difficult. Does that make more sense?

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Some very nice tiles there, good job. But as I've said before, the bland look just doesn't hit it with me and I think it would be a bit better if you made it slightly more colourfull. The buildings aren't to similar but still match each other, the grass, paths, trees etc. There is a slight problem with some of the shadows on the houses and two trees but that can be fixed quickly. I also like how you have added little bits in bettween the trees that you will never even see, although pointless it is still a nice touch somehow. All together I would say a 8/10, missing the two because of the bland look (although this is my opinion, lots of people like it that way) and the shading trouble.

Last edited:
    Back