• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Let's Go Shiny Hunting

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Some of you may still be working towards the shiny charm, but many people, like myself, have taken a shot at the new shiny hunting method in the Lets Go series. What are your guys' thoughts on it so far? Do you like it, love it or hate it?

Personally, I'm not very fond of it. The main reason is that you run the risk of spawning other shinies while you're at it. Obviously it's cool cause the more shinies the merrier, but if you've been working on a catch combo for 3 hours only to catch another shiny Pokemon, you've got to re-invest the time into building that combo again.

And it kinda feels bad that 31 is the cap for additional shiny rolls. I would make it more challenging and have it cap out at 200 or something, and give more space between the granted extra rolls (ie. two more rolls at 50, four at 100, six at 150 and eight at 200).

I've caught 3 shinies so far. My first catch was shiny Chansey, while I was comboing for Growlithe. Then I spawned ANOTHER shiny Chansey during a Growlithe combo and decided to let it go. Then I finally got my shiny Growlithe. And my fourth shiny was Cubone, as I was comboing Geodude.

Obviously it's a small sample size but 1/4 of my spawned shinies were of the species I specifically wanted. It just feels weird.

Last edited:

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I was trying to get a Shiny Vulpix but the spawn disappeared before I could get to it :< only dang thing I want as a shiny and that was disheartening after 7 hours.

Edit: After a break let's see if I have any luck today :) I swear this is the only thing i'm gonna shiny hunt in this game untill I have the Shiny Charm. Haven't even progressed to Gym 3 yet xD

No luck today, if I could trade for one I would but I have nothing to trade really :<

Day 4 of hunting Vulpix: At Vulpix #876 and counting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2018
    I lost 3 hours of my life looking for a Shiny Shellder in Seafoam Island when my 112th catch combo run away.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    I lost 3 hours of my life looking for a Shiny Shellder in Seafoam Island when my 112th catch combo run away.

You really only need to catch to 31, pop on a lure and then stand there and watch the spawns. There is no benefit, from a shiny perspective, to catching more than 31. If anything, it increases the risk of breaking the combo and having to start again.

Personally I don't mind the mechanism. It is certainly very good odds. But after you achieve the required 31 catches, it can become rather boring. Compared to previous mechanisms where you had to constantly engage with pokemon to make a shiny appear, this one can get pretty boring just setting your character down somewhere and staring at the screen.

So far I have successfully hunted an oddish and am currently waiting for a shiny venonat to spawn.

Years
  • I tried shiny hunting for Nidoran female in the early parts of the game but gave up quickly, since I didn't (and still don't) have nearly enough money nor time to keep up with it. I know you can stop at combo 31 since rates cap there and continue to let them spawn in the overworld until you see a shiny, but I wanted to play really badly haha.

It's nice that you can actually see shinies without needing to run into battle, so :thumbsup: there! But you burn through so many balls that comboing can become tedious really fast. Especially since catching can be so frustrating later on when Pok?mon flee and break your combo. ):

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Well, after my combo broke bc I accidentally bumped into a vulpix and it ran, I gave the switch to my fiancee so I could play God Eater 2, 5 min after she completed the combo she caught me the Shiny Vulpix xDDDD But now that shes hunting Growlithe on hers its a complete no show after 5 hours so far

Last edited:
    Back