• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Souls Series Discussion Thread

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Lol, Sir Lautrec actually pointing you in the right direction :P

So what would you guys say was the most difficult boss y'all have ever faced?

Years
Lol, Sir Lautrec actually pointing you in the right direction :P

So what would you guys say was the most difficult boss y'all have ever faced?

I would say Ornstein and Smough is by far the hardest bosses i've fought in the Dark souls series by far

I'm not that used to fightning two hard bosses at once
So i ended up getting beaten down by they're powerful Lightning and Hammer attacks and the Super forms they get
After you kill one of them made me rage so much I even was close to beating Super Ornstein

He just had 1% health left and then i died and oh boy it was so frustrating
After some battles after that i decided to kill Ornstein first which made the fight slightly easier
And after about 1 week of trying i finally managed to beat them And got on with my story.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
I would say Ornstein and Smough is by far the hardest bosses i've fought in the Dark souls series by far

I'm not that used to fightning two hard bosses at once
So i ended up getting beaten down by they're powerful Lightning and Hammer attacks and the Super forms they get
After you kill one of them made me rage so much I even was close to beating Super Ornstein

He just had 1% health left and then i died and oh boy it was so frustrating
After some battles after that i decided to kill Ornstein first which made the fight slightly easier
And after about 1 week of trying i finally managed to beat them And got on with my story.
So it's funny you mention that. The first Dark Souls game is the only game in the series that I haven't beat yet; I've gone through and beat Dark Souls 2 and 3 (I actually perfected 3 lol) and am currently at Sen's Fortress right now. How far away am I to Ornstein and Smough? While I've never fought them, I've seen pictures of them - he's the one with the giant hammer right? - and the way you describe it sounds like it will be a difficult fight.

Yukari

I think the boss I've had the most trouble with was The Rotten. Not because of the boss itself, but because I didn't know about the second bonfire in the area and usually ran out of estus flasks before actually getting to fight it. s:

Freaking hate the Black Gulch.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
am currently at Sen's Fortress right now. How far away am I to Ornstein and Smough? While I've never fought them, I've seen pictures of them - he's the one with the giant hammer right? - and the way you describe it sounds like it will be a difficult fight.
They're the bosses for the area after Sen's Fortress. Ornstein is the one with the golden armor and the spear, Smough is the fatass with the giant hammer.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
Hello there! I actually started Dark Souls recently, but I haven't gotten so far yet. I'm working with a Pyromancer, and I got past the Taurus Demon recently.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
They're the bosses for the area after Sen's Fortress. Ornstein is the one with the golden armor and the spear, Smough is the fatass with the giant hammer.
Aight, guess I have something good to look forward to soon! Who should I target first? Or does it make a difference as to which I kill first?
Hello there! I actually started Dark Souls recently, but I haven't gotten so far yet. I'm working with a Pyromancer, and I got past the Taurus Demon recently.

Nice! How's it been being a Pyromancer? Do you find it difficult?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Pyromancy is fun.

Aight, guess I have something good to look forward to soon! Who should I target first? Or does it make a difference as to which I kill first?
It does make a difference yeah. When you kill one, the other absorbs their power. Smough in round 2 is easier than Ornstein on round 2, at least in my experience. The other thing is though is that you only get the soul of the last one you kill, you don't get both.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Pyromancy is fun.

It does make a difference yeah. When you kill one, the other absorbs their power. Smough in round 2 is easier than Ornstein on round 2, at least in my experience. The other thing is though is that you only get the soul of the last one you kill, you don't get both.

Does it work like Dark Souls 2 + 3 where you can trade in the bosses soul for their weapon?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Does it work like Dark Souls 2 + 3 where you can trade in the bosses soul for their weapon?
For the most part. You don't just hand over the boss soul+the normal soul cost to the smith and get the weapon though. You also need to have an appropriate upgraded weapon in your inventory as well as the soul. Like for example if you want to make Quelaag's Furysword, you need not only her soul, but a curved sword type weapon +10 in order to get it.

Yukari

I feel like the only person out there that has never used Magic in Dark Souls.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
It's okay. I've been toying around with that and a Vagabond. I mostly like the Pyro because of not only the Fire damage and strength factor, but poison spells as well.
Nice! (: You'll have to tell me what works and what doesn't work; I'll probably want to do another run sometime with a magic build so give me some tips if you can!
I feel like the only person out there that has never used Magic in Dark Souls.

See I'm the same way, but in DS1 I've found Soul Arrow super useful in that area where there's bugs flying everywhere and poison all on the ground - I forget the exact areas name, but it has Qualaag as the boss at the end. It definitely comes in handy every once in awhile!

Last edited:

Yukari

Can I just go on record that I beat Ornstein and Smough on my second try and really didn't find them to be a hard fight?

I feel like people exaggerate how hard that fight is, to be honest.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Can I just go on record that I beat Ornstein and Smough on my second try and really didn't find them to be a hard fight?

I feel like people exaggerate how hard that fight is, to be honest.

Funny you mentioned that: I just beat them for the first time the other day as well! (:

Did you have help in the fight, or did you do it solo?

Yukari

Funny you mentioned that: I just beat them for the first time the other day as well! (:

Did you have help in the fight, or did you do it solo?

Solo. I was using the Havel Set and Black Knight Sword +4. I was able to kill Ornstein in about 8 hits or so. Smough wasn't really any trouble either. I had way more trouble with the Gaping Dragon, haha.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Solo. I was using the Havel Set and Black Knight Sword +4. I was able to kill Ornstein in about 8 hits or so. Smough wasn't really any trouble either. I had way more trouble with the Gaping Dragon, haha.

2nd phase Smough isn't bad at all, agreed. He's really slow and as long as you are conscious of his lightning assblast, its very much doable. Did you ever feel like you were getting blindsided by Smough though when you were fighting Ornstein? I had some difficulties with that from time to time.

Sir Codin

Oh cool, we have another SoulsBorne thread! Now I know where to put all my shit-posts:

Spoiler:

Yukari

2nd phase Smough isn't bad at all, agreed. He's really slow and as long as you are conscious of his lightning assblast, its very much doable. Did you ever feel like you were getting blindsided by Smough though when you were fighting Ornstein? I had some difficulties with that from time to time.

Nope. Ornstein didn't last long enough For Smough to really get enough hits off. hehe

Sir Codin

Smough's second phase has always been easier than Ornstein's, mainly due to the fact that Smough is slow and doesn't get an entirely new moveset during 2Ph.

Also, of course you were going to beat them on your second try, Yuk. You're wearing freaking Havel's Set, that armor basically says "fuck you" to almost everything. XD

Last edited:
Back