• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is this Ninetales special?

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2017
    Hello all, new to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot.

I haven't collected pokemon cards since they first came out so i'm not sure if this is something normal that got added to the cards over the years or if this is special. Long story short is I bought some booster packs of Evolutions cards and ended up pulling a couple holo Ninetales, one of which was sparkly all over. Just wondering if someone could help me out by clarifying what I have here.

Attachments

• Is this Ninetales special?
      SBS.jpg
      759.8 KB · Views: 14
      OG.jpg
      987.5 KB · Views: 17
      FHNT.jpg
      106 KB · Views: 23
      A4.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Just a standard reverse holo I believe. No reason to believe it's fake, and it certainly isn't a SR for this set, so...

EDIT: I should probably explain that. Each pack contains 1 "reverse holo" card. In this case, yours was Ninetales.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2017
    So are there different varients of reverse holos? Maybe I dont quite understand what reverse holos are. I added another picture showing what I thought were the reverse holo ninetales I collected.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Scrap what I said before.

Upon further research, there are actually 3 versions of Ninetales n the set. A Reverse holo, an regular holo and a normal rare. It seems like the sparkily one is the normal holo, although I've never seen the sparkles on the normal text portion. an't say for sure what it means tho.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2017
    Thanks for trying. I have been looking online and can't find any info and its driving me crazy. I've never seen the sparkles outside of the little square box the pokemon is in, which is why I was wondering if this was special or a misprint of some sort. The sparkles appear to be laid out over the whole card including on the Ninetales itself, instead of just in the background. It also covers the name, hp, the little picture of Vulpix, the yellow boarder, and basically everywhere else on the card. The pictures I took don't really do justice to how sparkly the card really is.

Years
  • Scrap what I said before.

Upon further research, there are actually 3 versions of Ninetales n the set. A Reverse holo, an regular holo and a normal rare. It seems like the sparkily one is the normal holo, although I've never seen the sparkles on the normal text portion. an't say for sure what it means tho.

He's got a normal holo in picture 4 next to this one.

Thanks for trying. I have been looking online and can't find any info and its driving me crazy. I've never seen the sparkles outside of the little square box the pokemon is in, which is why I was wondering if this was special or a misprint of some sort. The sparkles appear to be laid out over the whole card including on the Ninetales itself, instead of just in the background. It also covers the name, hp, the little picture of Vulpix, the yellow boarder, and basically everywhere else on the card. The pictures I took don't really do justice to how sparkly the card really is.

It almost looks like it's missing a layer? I'm thinking it was an error in the printing/pressing process of some kind. Can't say with certainty, though.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    It doesn't look fake, but that's certainly not a rev. holo. Maybe someone ballsed up at the factory? Evolutions has had pretty bad QC as a set so far so I reckon what you've got is just a misprint

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2017
    I have no idea how they make Pokémon cards but to me it seems like the holographic layer that should be underneath Ninetales and the rest of the card was placed over the top as the final layer. Would something like this make the card more valuable? I don't know how misprints work and if they make Pokémon cards more or less valuable. If it is a misprint though, it sure is a cool one.

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    Yeah it looks like they accidentally made the regular holo pattern spread beyond the card's art and cover the full card. Definitely not a normal reverse holo for Evolutions.

Back