• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Decomp Hack: Kai-Zen Red

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    (new patch posted, fixed sprite elevations &
    NEW new patch, fixed oak text in lab with new starters
    NEWEST patch, fixed tms, lab text fixed)

This is my first project in a while, and my first project after I made the switch to decomp.

I've made 2 binary hacks before this point,

Pokemon: Inverse Alter

and Pokemon Z-Random

They're pretty different from another but its all been in pursuit of my main project.

A Fire Red Improvement hack I call.

Kai-Zen Red

It's pretty far from done, but I'd like to get some playtests so I can get feedback and to help find any bugs.

There aren't any gamebreaking bugs, (far as I know) and it can be played in entirety.

But after a while there won't be any more changes.

There are a few improvements I can tout at this point though.

I've got emerald style character selection for the intro.
    Decomp Hack: Kai-Zen Red

gen 8 pokemon (sprites & stats only right now)

Some starter changes

A couple changed or new abilities, catch changes + exp on catch, and b&w style repel system.

Patch is below so give it a go, and please comment any bugs you find.

I'm aware of the fury cutter issue, I just haven't had time to fix the text yet.

oh, and I have fairy type, but with a few tweaks, and a few tweaks to other types. ...I'll just tell you those now I guess.

nothing major just some small tweaks for balance, but everything makes sense.

I made fairy a counterpart to dark type. meaning in most cases its similar but opposite.

so fairy is now both strong and weak to dark.

its still strong to dragon, but is resistant to dragon instead of immune.

fairy resists ghost & psychic. & does normal damage to fighting instead of being super effective.

Other than that its the same.

Rock now also resists rock type damage. (oh and early gen rock types have received some defensive buffs to help them compare to more recent rock type pokemon)

Ice types are super effective to bugs, and resist water.

Water no longer resists Ice.

And Flying types no longer have their flying type replaced when grounded/roosted.

So instead they aren't immune to ground types by default, but just can't be hit by them unless they are grounded first/use roost.

Oh and you have a chance to get a pokemon's hidden ability when you catch it, this one is still in the early phase so, that might not be obvious except for a few pokemon.

Attachments

• KaiZen_Red v3.zip
      17.3 MB · Views: 45
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    Just played up to the first gym. This hack is great, being difficult in a different way than a standard difficulty hack. Most of the difficulty come from wilds, and trainers are usually not too difficult. But there were some problems.

1: route 1 had higher wild levels than route 2. It kinda looks like they were reversed.

2: the starters were called by vanilla names, instead of the new ones. The picture was correct though.

3: Brock's team is still kinda weak given how hard the game was. Zubat with water hidden power took his lead, and almost took his ace. At level 8... Maybe give him some coverage. I have some ideas for team reworks from him if you want, since other trainers had some edits themselves.

4: the team edit at the end of viridian forest could softlock, if the player is out of money/sellable items, and has no team members that can take his last Mon. Maybe switch the ability to the other one (you did have both versions of that Mon like you said you would on the discord, right?)

5: the tm Brock gives doesn't work. The only option in the menu for the tm is to give, or close. No use option. Unless this is somehow intentional, such as using tms as trophies, or only able to be used in some odd context (maybe at a pc, since they are discs?).

Otherwise, this hack has been really interesting.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Just played up to the first gym. This hack is great, being difficult in a different way than a standard difficulty hack. Most of the difficulty come from wilds, and trainers are usually not too difficult. But there were some problems.

1: route 1 had higher wild levels than route 2. It kinda looks like they were reversed.

2: the starters were called by vanilla names, instead of the new ones. The picture was correct though.

3: Brock's team is still kinda weak given how hard the game was. Zubat with water hidden power took his lead, and almost took his ace. At level 8... Maybe give him some coverage. I have some ideas for team reworks from him if you want, since other trainers had some edits themselves.

4: the team edit at the end of viridian forest could softlock, if the player is out of money/sellable items, and has no team members that can take his last Mon. Maybe switch the ability to the other one (you did have both versions of that Mon like you said you would on the discord, right?)

5: the tm Brock gives doesn't work. The only option in the menu for the tm is to give, or close. No use option. Unless this is somehow intentional, such as using tms as trophies, or only able to be used in some odd context (maybe at a pc, since they are discs?).

Otherwise, this hack has been really interesting.

lol hidden power is a bit broken right now, I wanted to make it better since the concept of the move is cool, but the potentially low power makes it not very useful.
    So I added some conditional buffs, but it seems it may be too much, I've been meaning to try cutting the buff in half, but just haven't gotten to it.

Thanks for letting me know about the tm thing, I can guess what's causing it, need to adjust my item list.
    and while I intend to make things a little more difficult the first route is so much more difficult, just because its populated with everything I was trying to test. 😅

I haven't actually gone around adjusting any other levels for things.

You mean the shedinja? I haven't checked it in a while, but every time I ran into it, it still had wonder guard instead of the new ability.

and yeah I should probably have covered that since, its something most might not know.

So I gave rattata beatup. as a temporary fix for that.

Beatup does typeless damage, even though its listed as dark type move, that's the same for normal firered as well.

So if the shedinja has wonderguard, one attack from rattata will kill it no matter the level.

If it has the second ability, beat up will still work, but depending on how many team members you have rattata has a slight chance to die,
    before it finishes it. Since it might not go down in 1 attack.

So let me know if that doesn't work well enough for that. and I'll see about adjusting my item list.

Back