• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • *stares at all the PMs...* o_O;;

Let me rephrase that.

a) on top of sending me a PM, it will be *very nice* if you can copy the link to your story as well... some of you are asking for story reviews that are off of the next 3 pages so where exactly is the story? x_x;

b) *cough*I wonder who did this?*cough* don't send in "Oh yeah Frosty can you review this oneshot and this along with that and that? When you finish those, how about this novel as well?" Let's limit it to... one story at a time each review? And when I send the PM notification for a fanfic review... then submit another request for another one of your story? Not really fair if I spend a whole week of time doing nothing but your story (even if they're all different stories or something...)

Thank you very much for everyone's support la~ ^^;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Origami

?Origami? it was called, for the girl called herself that.
    very awkward syntax... pretty sure it's grammatically incorrect. There is a very likely chance that you got a grammatical error if 2 nouns are side by side, like in the beginning of this sentence.

-christen is used with a wrong connotation... in terms of dictorial meaning, yes you've used it correctly as to christen means to name. However, the connotation of the word suggests a theme of holiness (as in a religious term, not just someone who do good deeds.) Also, christen is usually used to address either a human being (to christen a baby) or a grand construction (to christen a ship).

As well, since Origami can be refered to both the girl and the art, that sentence is rather unclear in terms of which Origami is being talked about. Right now, "Newly christened Origami" means "the new born child Origami" which isn't making sense as later in the story we know that Origami goes to school...

-don't need the "and" before the "then" in the 3rd paragraph

-a few run-on sentences... be careful about having 2 verbs in the same clause

-be careful when you're addressing to paper... keep it singular or plural all the way through in this case.

If they used it, then that was that.
    so what is "that"... watch out when you're using pronouns if you're being clear enough.

-paper used to write/fold with actually got no "s" for their plural form... papers refer to documents/exams.

-astuteness is against used out of its connotation. Astuteness does mean the ability to dwell deeply in an idea, but it is usually related to business, or even worst, machiavellian beliefs.

-some diction choices are weird and can be further refined as well... such as
    She had made.
    Make is a very commonly used verb and isn't very strong. Short sentences are indeed used for emphasizes with a strong sense of "power." However, it loses its effectiveness if it is used too often or if the word choices are not strong and defined/specific enough.

-some parts are wordy and a bit redundant... they can take away from your story a lot.

She could glue on two black beads, and people would automatically assume it was a child?s toy.
    Conjunctions are used to link 2 phrases/short sentences with similiar ideas into one. In this case however, there are no similiar ideas. The two phrases are unrelated with one another...

-you want "they were hers" instead of "her" as "hers" show possession.

-it's "its" not "its'"

-"happy" needs a period or elipses to follow after it... all sentences, intended run-ons or not, need punctuations XD

-the ending is slightly unclear... as the idea of "blue beads" are never mentioned anywhere but that one line. Sometimes the readers may get it from thinking over the 151 Pokemon, but not everyone will do so. Simply by inserting that same phrase elsewhere within your story so readers will realize that the ending is alluding to a previously read passage should solve the problem.

Good Points:
    -another original approach at a Pokemon oneshot
    -good/fair amount of support is shown for the theme
    -story element and all characters are coherent throughout the story

Focuses to Improve On:
    -grammar
    -choice of diction: be sure to check the connotations too before using the word
    -some parts are redundant and are unnecessarily wordy

Grammar Basics: 7/10
    Characterization: 15/20
    Coherence/Readability: 10/10
    Tone/Structure: 14/20
    Diction: 11/20
    Effort/Originality: 16/20
    Lit. Device bonus: +1 (alliteration on key phrase)

Total: 74

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • I have a question...

I'm thinking about doing an adventure fic where Ash and co. are pulled into an RPG (which will draw on elements of Zelda and Final Fantasy) and they have to go through the game themselves.

My problem lies in what classes I should give everyone...I'm still debating between using the Kanto Trio (Ash, Misty, Brock) or the current party (Ash, May, Max, Brock) for the story, so I'd appriciate any help.

Here are my ideas for classes:

If I use the Kanto Trio:

Ash-Knight
    Misty-Ninja/Samurai (in honor of the Ninja I have on Final Fantasy Tactics named for her)
    Brock-Mage (all the mage types plus the summoner all rolled into one)

If I use the current party:

Ash: Knight
    May: White mage/summoner?
    Max: Not sure, probably a blue mage
    Brock: Paladin (a knight that also knows magic)

Years
  • Is there someone out there who could read my latest ficcy and at least comment on it? ;-;

*sigh* I should write more like I used to... v.v

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • To EmeraldSky:

-well, if you want to be steretypical going along the line of the predictable FF line, then yes the current class besides Misty (ninja is a bit out of it...) definitely fits. (oh the healer is always ALWAYS the female character who's too kind to even kill a fly, while the main character is always an adaptable fighter! The male companion who's older than the main character is always some buffed up knight/melee warrior usually sucking in magic, while any other companions who are younger/same age as the hero are either black mages or support character! Oh gee I just summed up almost every FF character setup...)

Depends if you want to go serious or commedical... if it's commedical, swap all the jobs around (White Mage Brock go go go!). Otherwise, what you have is justified... some of the jobs can also be changed a little, but they won't matter too much.

Btw, paladin is restricted to white magic support only (refer to Beatrix of FF9). Paladin are "good guys." They don't use any other magic besides white ^^ In terms of most games and FF, this remains true.

To Oni-san:

-4th on the list? XD;;;

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • frostweaver: I was thinking of the Ninja and Samurai classes in Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) when I planned Misty as a Ninja (in fact, one of my strongest characters in FFT is a Ninja named for her)...and I'm still not sure what class to give Max...

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    here's what I think on those Final Fantasy job classes.

Satoshi: Mediator
    Haruka: Dancer
    Masato: Calculator
    Takeshi: Chemist (he does carry around the healing items and all that)

Remember, though, in RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics, it's possible to change your jobs anytime between battles.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • *looks @ waiting list* Cool! I'm first on the waiting list! *hopes that no one else PMs Frosty after this so I can get another story on the waiting list soon* XD I haven't had much reading lately. My stories go straight onto the xth page without a single reply.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Frosty...2 things:

1. Thanks for the review! (Even though I didn't PM ya) ^^

2. It's Onii-Chan* ;-;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Emerald Sky- now FF/Zelda world do not revolve solely on FFT... (and another day I'll argue about how absolutely crappy the battle/job system is in FFT) I'm pretty sure that "Calculator" only exists in FFT and FFT alone, not even in any other FF series. It's not even in FFTA. It's not a very realistic class anyway... >>; ahem. I know what you mean as I played FFT too (and eventually traded it for FF8 which is a GREAT deal ^o^)

According to the stereotypical job distribution of FF, any supportive class will work... Just make sure that you did say how it got Zelda elements too. Right now it seems like it's totally tipped towards FF (and FFT in particular.) Personally, I suggest you to whip out original "classes" that corporates Pokemon elements into it as well... Remember that the Pokemon World also got a small set of "classes" ranging from "Pokemon Trainer" to "Pokemon Coordinator" or "Pokemon breeder." These are *also* classes. Just cause they're different from the FF ones... best to find ways to combine them, instead of just taking the classes from one side completely.

A common pitfall for any Pokemon crossover with any RPG game is that all Pokemon elements are usually lost besides the character names and the fact that Pokemon are now nothing more than the monsters you fight (ex: replace your standard Goblin with Rattata.) Stay away from this at ALL COST.

@ Jedi_Amara- you'll be 6th at least either way XD;;

@ Lily-chan- well you addressing Oni-san of course you use "chan"... now if I'm using that suffix as well, there will be "a lot of problems" lol XD! And plus, you did request a review for it on MSN a long time ago... and how come we seem to rarely talk with each other nowadays? ;-;

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Umm... do we still need to PM you to get you to read a chaptered fic that you're already reviewing? <<

Years
  • frostweaver said:
    @ Lily-chan- well you addressing Oni-san of course you use "chan"... now if I'm using that suffix as well, there will be "a lot of problems" lol XD! And plus, you did request a review for it on MSN a long time ago... and how come we seem to rarely talk with each other nowadays? ;-;
    Onii-chan means big brother, also... you know? O_o;; So she's correcting you in a way that she's trying to tell you to call me big brother...XD

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • JA called frosty 'dear.'

*hasty accusations made*

I originally thought Onii-chan was 16 so it doesn't make a difference to me. XD Oh, and JA, you have to teach me how you use words one day. o.o!!!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • oni flygon said:
    Onii-chan means big brother, also... you know? O_o;; So she's correcting you in a way that she's trying to tell you to call me big brother...XD

But you *ARENT'* my older brother ;o; You should be calling me that ;p Most I can call you is by just plain old "san" anyway ;p (or younger brother I suppose...)

As for Dragonfree, yes you do. =p The point of this whole thing is to clear my reading debts >>; *cough cough*

And Lily... *hugs her closely*
    But I know what you mean =p

Pucca! <3

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Why can't I call Frosty "dear"? He asked me to take care of you in the mod lounge. That gives me the right to call him "dear" XD. Hm... what do you mean, Lily? You're using words right now!

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • ....*JA is now her enemy! ;-;*

No no, I meant your word choices. o_O it was a question not meant to be answered. Just that I <3 your descriptions. =3

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back