• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile A Modern Pokemon Stadium

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Released the original Pokemon Stadium way back in 1998. Pushed both the 3D experience and the larger television screen. Released no Stadium-like game since Battle Revolution in 2006. Understands why. Falls flat as a standalone game premise in the Nintendo Switch age. Simply asks, "Why not just make it part of the main Pokemon game?"

How would you make a Pokemon Stadium game worth buying without feeling like you ripped out a piece of a mainline game for a quick cash grab? What features would you include?

1. Battle customization. Bring back all of the battle formats (like Rotation, Royal, Inverse, and doubles with partners). Allow toggles for Dynamax, Mega Evolutions, and Z-moves. Bring back restrictions like Little Cup, as well as Base Stat Total limit options. Should be able to use different Generation rules, as able. Would be interesting to mix newer mechanics with old generations too (like Z-moves in Generation 3).

2. Add some new battle formats. Suggests a format with random Pokemon and a few held items. Pick three of four to battle. Customize their moves, abilities, and items.

3. Unique stadium mechanics. Stole this idea from the anime*. Ought to make a difference where your Pokemon are battling. May have trouble moving in an Ice Arena. Could be problematic for a Flying Pokemon dropped into the water by Gravity. (Must have normal stadiums too, of course.)

4. Online. Seemingly did this in Battle Revolution. (Never played it. May or may not be obvious.) Adds the idea of asynchronus play in there. Put up and browse player-made team. Fight them with an AI controlling that team. Should have the ability for tournaments too, offline and online.

5. A streamlined, single-player Pokemon experience. Pick a region and battle format(s). Follow its normal progression. Begin with one of three Pokemon. Defeat a random Pokemon in the grass to add to the team. Automatically levels your entire team between matches. (May still choose level-up moves and evolutions.) Eventually challenges the Champion.

6. Handicaps. Becomes more accessible to newer players. Give them affection benefits and level advantages, for example. Perhaps maximum damage rolls as well.

7. Achievements. "Regain a berry twice in one battle with the Harvest ability". "Use Round on two Pokemon whose Speed difference is equal to or greater than the slower Pokemon's Speed stat". "Burn a Pokemon who is normally immune to the status effect." "Copy or reverse a Pokemon's stat stages totaling +10 or more."

*Thought about an anime mode as well. Somehow operates more like a battle from the anime. Watched too little of the anime to present a more fleshed-out idea, unfortunately. Risks turning it into an action game. Deviates a little too much from Stadium for personal taste.

Years
  • i think the biggest issue with a modern stadium game is that it's really difficult to differentiate it from modern main series games because the biggest aspect of stadium games has already been incorporated into the main series - which is to say that seeing your pokemon in the big screen was a lot of the appeal. if stadium were to be reintroduced in a similar fashion as pokemon snap, i'd imagine it wouldn't be significantly different from its more classic counterpart with the exception that it's more expanded upon in a way. i'd imagine a fun stadium game would be working your way up to world champion by fighting every single region's elite four and champion and have it level capped to like, 50 or something. it's also possible to transfer your own pokemon from modern games into this new stadium game for extra fun.

that's about what i can think of.

Latios

Editor of the Johto Times newsletter
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I think the emphasis should be on mini-games, that's what I remember the most about them. Perhaps the 'campaign' could be beating all previous gym leaders, elite 4 and eventually champions of each region, using a selection of Pokémon offered to you. Upon completion, you could go for a tougher campaign where you have to defeat them using your own team.

I think regular player vs player battles could be a unique form of battling not seen on any other platform, rather than focus on your team being in 3D, which is redundant these days. What those conditions would be, I would need more time to consider, but I like the idea of a unique approach, rather than just a battle simulator for a theoretical Pokémon Stadium 3 in the modern day of 2022.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Released the original Pokemon Stadium way back in 1998. Pushed both the 3D experience and the larger television screen. Released no Stadium-like game since Battle Revolution in 2006. Understands why. Falls flat as a standalone game premise in the Nintendo Switch age. Simply asks, "Why not just make it part of the main Pokemon game?"

How would you make a Pokemon Stadium game worth buying without feeling like you ripped out a piece of a mainline game for a quick cash grab? What features would you include?

1. Battle customization. Bring back all of the battle formats (like Rotation, Royal, Inverse, and doubles with partners). Allow toggles for Dynamax, Mega Evolutions, and Z-moves. Bring back restrictions like Little Cup, as well as Base Stat Total limit options. Should be able to use different Generation rules, as able. Would be interesting to mix newer mechanics with old generations too (like Z-moves in Generation 3).

2. Add some new battle formats. Suggests a format with random Pokemon and a few held items. Pick three of four to battle. Customize their moves, abilities, and items.

3. Unique stadium mechanics. Stole this idea from the anime*. Ought to make a difference where your Pokemon are battling. May have trouble moving in an Ice Arena. Could be problematic for a Flying Pokemon dropped into the water by Gravity. (Must have normal stadiums too, of course.)

4. Online. Seemingly did this in Battle Revolution. (Never played it. May or may not be obvious.) Adds the idea of asynchronus play in there. Put up and browse player-made team. Fight them with an AI controlling that team. Should have the ability for tournaments too, offline and online.

5. A streamlined, single-player Pokemon experience. Pick a region and battle format(s). Follow its normal progression. Begin with one of three Pokemon. Defeat a random Pokemon in the grass to add to the team. Automatically levels your entire team between matches. (May still choose level-up moves and evolutions.) Eventually challenges the Champion.

6. Handicaps. Becomes more accessible to newer players. Give them affection benefits and level advantages, for example. Perhaps maximum damage rolls as well.

7. Achievements. "Regain a berry twice in one battle with the Harvest ability". "Use Round on two Pokemon whose Speed difference is equal to or greater than the slower Pokemon's Speed stat". "Burn a Pokemon who is normally immune to the status effect." "Copy or reverse a Pokemon's stat stages totaling +10 or more."

*Thought about an anime mode as well. Somehow operates more like a battle from the anime. Watched too little of the anime to present a more fleshed-out idea, unfortunately. Risks turning it into an action game. Deviates a little too much from Stadium for personal taste.

I feel that a Pokémon Stadium-like game can be included into a mainline Pokémon game. With that, it doesn't have to exist as a standalone game. The Battle Tower, for example, can serve as a Pokémon Stadium-like facility, with more battle modes, different rules, multiplayer features, and online functionality. Another aspect of the facility could include mini-games, but I also believe that mini-games could be used to replace the Game Corner as well. I feel that if the games can include things such as Pokémon Contests, they can include different places that allow players to engage in mini-games. The building can also include a Pokémon lab similar to Professor Oak's Lab feature in Pokémon Stadium and a Pokémon school of sorts can serve the same function as Earl's Pokémon Academy to teach players more about the more competitive aspects of battling.

Back