• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Shiny Experiences

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
Years
Alola!

So, I got Ultra Sun only today, and I had been playing through it for a whopping... two hours! Before I encountered a shiny Magnemite. Two hours into the game, and this guy took me completely by surprise! I've attached an image as proof, of course.

Edit: The image isn't working properly. This link should work.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4nQ0msGoBrDZjJ6OTZMSWYzNXU4T21oYVZuX2kweU42SVg4

This got me to thinking, though... this has got to be my most memorable shiny ever. What was yours?? Perhaps your first shiny you ever found? Did the circumstances make it special? How much work/luck went into it? I'm very curious to see what your experiences compare to mine.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Congrats on the early Shiny! I always hope to find a Shiny during my initial playthroughs (more bonding time), but it usually doesn't happen until the post-game...

Not my favorite, but my most-memorable Shiny would have to be Shiny #1. I was in Silver Version's Ice Path when I encountered a Golbat that appeared to sparkle. I didn't know that Pok?mon besides the Red Gyarados could be Shiny so, combined with the poor lighting, I figured my eyes were just playing tricks on me and I tried to run when the strangest thing happened:

"You don't want to do that!" appeared on the screen. It probably said "Couldn't get away!" instead, but that's not what I saw.

Imaginary or not, I heeded that advice and caught the Golbat, eventually checking it in my PC where I noticed the triple star symbol in the top right corner. I told one of my older cousins about it and he informed me of Shiny Pok?mon, their rarity, and how jealous he was having never found one himself. It made me feel special.

Then I evolved it into a pink Crobat that creeped me out so much when I saw it in Pok?mon Stadium 2. {D:}

Next to that might be my Shiny Nidoran-M from FireRed's Safari Zone. I'm always terrified of finding Shinies in these kind of areas in fear of them fleeing, but I luckily managed to nab this one. Really nice to look at, too. Sadly, I loaned my cartridge to a friend and they lost it... T_T

Last edited:
Years
These are neat stories. Good job everybody.

My most memorable experience was a random encounter with a shiny Braviary while soaring on Latios in Oras. It is by far the most beautiful shiny that I have ever gotten, that cerulean blue coat! It was such a funny twist of fate because I was trying my best to fly out of the way of any incoming pokemon to get to the move deleter in lilycove asap... then low and behold we met. *pets Sky the shiny Braviary**

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
My first shiny ever (well the first with my OT) was a flawless treecko with 4 egg moves and the nature I wanted. I was sooooo freaking happy!
My second one was a Foongus, after only 40 eggs. It is not perfect but not the worst so I kept it.
And in Sun I hatched a Mienfoo, almost flawless. Will become one when I will use a bottle cap. Mienshao is one of my favorite Pokemon so I was sooooo happy.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I guess my most memorable shinies would be random encounters shinies I've found.

My first shiny was a random encounter Pawniard in Y, I found it after I completed the game. I was trying to complete a living dex so I did about 10 encounters in Lost Hotel looking for a second Magneton, back then I thought Pokemon could only breed with the same species. After 9 encounters of Pawniard's and other not Magnetons I left, but immediately had a changeof heart and ran back in. The first Pokemon to pop up was a shiny Pawniard.

Up to this point I had encountered tons of Pokemon in my initial playthrough of Y. I missed the sparkles so the only reason I knew it was shiny was because I had just encountered a few red ones. I didn't play gen 5 much so wasn't familiar with its shiny.

My second random encounter appeared in Victory Road, I use to level up my Pokemon in Victory Road using the event Pokemon Mew and Jirachi with move sets that knocked out the high level Pokemon easily and exp share on. One day again was running back and forth and looked away then looked back and noticed an orange and green Druddigon. I knew it was shiny because I had knocked out many non shiny ones. I actually like the shiny version better then the non shiny version.

Interestingly Druddigon is also my first and only shiny fail, I encountered my 4th shiny Druddigon in Friend Safari and had sent out my Quagsire to put it to sleep but had Earthquake in the first slot and hit it by accident, I just sat there and waited for it to faint. To be honest I was kind of glad my first fail was a Pokemon I already had 3 of and not a new Pokemon. Though it was sad to break the streak.

My third random encounter shiny happened recently, was gathering eggs in Pokemon Y masuda methoding for a shiny Nidoran f. I usually ride my bike around the two flower patches in front of the daycare and every so often I'll actually go in the flowers and encounter a Pokemon by accident, I only have my Flame Body Talonflame on me and any hatched eggs obviously so failing it is very easy. So when a blue Volbeat appeared I just threw a quick ball and caught it. My only wish was that it was a Pokemon I didn't have.

I have had crazy luck using methods as well, on Aug 20 I found 5 shinies using 5 different methods, horde Hoppip, Dexnav Grimer, Friend Safari Forretress, Fish chained Shellder and an hour before midnight, 10 eggs that day, shiny Sudowoodo appeared, 460 eggs total.

Another day I had two shinies appear at the same time, a Hoothoot in Friend Safari and a Scraggy in a horde. I usually do the FS encounter first then the horde, so I looked at the shiny Hoothoot sparkle then looked over just as the horde appeared and saw the sparkle for the Scraggy just off camera.

Last edited:

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
Years
All great stories! Shiny Pokemon always just feel super special. I also found a shiny Lillipup by chance while playing through normal Sun version, but I gave him to a friend. I was so surprised!

Congrats on the early Shiny! I always hope to find a Shiny during my initial playthroughs (more bonding time), but it usually doesn't happen until the post-game...

Not my favorite, but my most-memorable Shiny would have to be Shiny #1. I was in Silver Versions Ice Path when I encountered a Golbat that appeared to sparkle. I didn't know that Pokémon besides the Red Gyarados could be Shiny so, combined with the poor lighting, I figured my eyes were just playing tricks on me

Now, this. This brings back memories. My first shiny was a Whismur in Sapphire; I had no idea what a shiny was. Somehow my 8-year-old self thought it's slightly different colour had something to do with the Contest food, and I fainted it...

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
My first shiny ever was a Luvdisc in X/Y. I was so excited to finally encounter a shiny Pokemon, and I wasn't even chain fishing! (hadn't even known it was a thing at that time). I was addicted to shiny hunting X/Y and ORAS from then on. Haven't found or hatched any in S/M or USUM yet.

The Luvdisc was special, because I was playing my game next to my sister who was sleeping on the sofa next to me at the time (several months pregnant with her first kid). Sister had blankets from when she was an infant (issued by hospital) that were pink and yellow, so catching my first shiny that was yellow and the normal version pink next to my sister was very special timing!

I named the Luvdisc, Binky (her nickname for the blankets as a kid)

icycatelf

Alex
Years
That rumor of being unable to run from wild shinies in G/S/C is so widespread that your brain must have slightly altered that memory over time and ended up incorporating that rumor into it. That's what I think most likely happened, at least.
I know the mind can be faulty sometimes, but I have a feeling that it was probably due to Golbat's high speed that I wasn't able to run away (assuming I had a slow Pokémon in my lead at the time). Still glad I caught it all the same.

As far as I can recall, I've never heard that rumor. I've actually heard more tales of people successfully running from Shinies because they didn't know what they were.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 1, 2017
My first Shiny ever was a Machop or Rattata or something like that and I either fainted it or ran. xD I remember the glistening and then i thought Oh that's weird and doing nothing about it. xD But the first one i obtained was an Egg in my pc box.. sitting there for 6 months. waiting to be hatched.

I was wonder trading a bunch of Phantumps and Pumpkaboos that I had bred and I had a few eggs left over that sat in the box for a while until i finally decided I was going to hatch them and i was really surprised when one was a shiny squirtle. xD I think his name is Mittens and he's in my Sun version. He's still only a Wartortle. Idk if I want to evolve him further. xD I love Wartortle. ;w;

Sul_Silver

Please don't hit yourself in confusion... %@#$!!!
Years
I guess the first shiny that I ever caught was a shiny sandile on moon. At the time, i was grinding for atk Evs for my M-Lopunny and was sorta distracted watching tv. Then, sudenly i hear that lovely sound of something precious, and I turn around just to find that yellow and brown guy staring at me.

Well, if you count rom-hacks though, I found a shiny snorunt in pokemon Glazed. had a bad nature and it was a male (didn't want to use glalie) so ended up not using it.

Another shiny was when I was trying to get a Carbink with HA also on moon. after a chain of 50+, I see that black Carbink. I still wanted one with a hidden ability, and when my sylveon used skill swap to check, it was. A HA shiny carbink with a somewhat useful nature, after 50+. Oh and if you are wondering why I wanted a HA carbink, it was for a strat, but it didnt quite work out. Maybe I can write it here later.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
My first shiny I always remember was back in the original Silver version. I was grinding in Victory Road to power level my Pokemon before taking on the Pokemon League. I ran into a wild shiny Rhyhorn. When I first saw it, I had no idea what shiny pokemon were (despite the Red Gyarados, I originally thought the Red Gyarados was just a special Pokemon just for that one situation), despite not knowing what a shiny was, I thought to myself, "Oh cool, some weird glitch Pokemon! I really want that!".
I remember struggling to catch it, but I did actually catch it and carried it on my team afterwards. I continued to grind through Victory Road with it after catching it. Evolved into a Rhydon and it also helped my team a lot when I went through the actual League.
If I remember correctly I named it Pinky, because I recall the shiny coloration of the Rhyhorn appeared pink to me at the time, but I think it isn't actually pink, I'll have to look it up again. Sadly I don't have Pinky any more since that copy of Silver is long gone now, but I still treasure the memory as my very first Shiny encounter.

My other very memorable shiny encounter was in Omega Ruby. I was breeding for a competitive Gorebyss. I wanted a shiny female which was a Pokemon I used to have back in my White version, however the one I had in my old White version wasn't my own, it was bred for me by a really awesome member of this community. I was very attached to that Gorebyss back in white and I wanted to replicate that experience in OR, however when I was breeding Clamperls I was very half hearted about spending all that time just to Masuda Method a new shiny Clamperl. I had decided at the time that when I find a Clamperl that had 5/6 IV's (-Attack) with a Modest Nature, I would give up the hunt and just settle with whatever I got.
I was at my friend's house breeding Clamperls while he was grinding in Y version. After a couple of hours of breeding Clamperls with modest nature, I had hatched a shiny female Clamperl with a Modest nature and 5/6 IV's (-Special Defense). Although I wished it had missed Attack instead of Special Defense, I knew it was meant to be, it was just too perfect. I named her Porcelina, which was the name of my Gorebyss back in White version, and it has continued to be my favorite and most prized Pokemon. Even now I still use her as I am now going back into Omega Ruby to finish up the National Pokédex.

I've found many shiny Pokemon but those two are easily the Pokemon that are the most memorable to me.

I guess I might as well mention the shiny Cleffa I found about half a month ago that I found after only hatching two eggs. It was completely unintentional, but I found it while I was breeding Clefairy for the purpose of breeding over an egg move to my Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

User19sq

My current UM-playthrough is my first-ever all-shiny run. All I'm missing is Null, who may be the toughest to get shiny.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Since I got the Volbeat I decided I should try random encounter shiny hunting instead of masuda method. At least the ones I can.

My first hunt was in Santalune forest. I was going for Caterpie to evolve to Metapod or Weedle. I was in X so I can only hunt on the first 12 or 13 routes and route 22.
I got the shiny Caterpie in 1,588 encounters.

My next hunt was on route 12 for Tauros or Exeggcute. I hunted in yellow flowers with a shiny female cute charm Delcatty I had evolved recently to get more Tauros then Miltank. Shiny Tauros appeared at 1,794 encounters.
My most recent hunt was shiny Aerodactyl. I did 460 fossil resets last year, then 140 revives on the 26th. The next day the shiny appeared at 56 fossils. 656 total old ambers.

I'm currently doing random encounters for Azurill on route 22 and fossil resets for Omanyte.

Last edited:

TheMagnanimousL

Pokemon Connoisseur
Years
My most memorable shiny was a shiny Axew I randomly encountered when trying to get through the cave in X and Y. It's my most memorable because I really love Axew and its evolutionary line, but I gave it to someone I met through the PSS and talked and traded with me a lot, she was real nice and we helped each other fill our dexes. We were real close up until S/M when festival plaza destroyed the socialization aspect of Gen 6. Haven't spoken to her since...

Otherwise, my most valuable Shiny has to be the Poipole I got in my playthrough of USUM not a even a week ago. Didn't reset or anything, it had been my second playthrough in my attempt to complete the living dex for Poipole/Nagandel. I was planning to get it JUST to complete my local living dex, so when I saw that it was a shiny first time, I almost peed myself.

And this was immediately after a very anti-climactic fight with ol' Ultra Necro. He missed a super-effective photon geyser that surely would've killed me due to affection bonuses, and then I 1-shot k/o'd crit him on the first turn.

Last edited:

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
Years
I recently just caught ANOTHER, slightly more obscrue shiny. In the tunnel near Kiawe's trial, you can sometimes encounter invisible Kecleon. And wouldn't you know it, the first one I found, it was a Shiny!

It's so wonderful to share these experiences with everyone and to see the luck or bad luck of everyone else. I'm going to try and Masuda-Breed or Chain Fish for a shiny Dratini when I finish Ultra Sun (yes, I'm not finished yet).

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
My first ever Shiny was a Shiny Golett in a randon encounter in X. I didn't even know Golett was in X but luckily I had played the Unova games so knew that Golett wasn't meant to have green highlights. He is now a Shiny Golurk that can fly and will soon be joining me in Ultra Sun. Golurk is a great Shiny too.

My latest Shiny was a Shiny Crustle found in an Ultra Wormhole in US yesterday. The green coloration is very noticeable.

My favourite Shiny is of course my Shiny Lilligant Jessica which I found as an adorable blue eyed Petilil in Alpha Sapphire. :)

Last edited:

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
My most memorable shiny happened when I was collecting legendaries after completing Alpha Sapphire.

All I really wanted to do was to just catch every legendary, so I was going from one place to another chucking my balls at every legendary I could get my hands on. And then it happened. The most incredible thing ever. A SHINY ZEKROM. I did NOT soft reset, I did NOT hack it, it was just pure coincidence. I just freaked out when I saw it. I still can't believe how lucky I got. Just the perfect dragon. Still black but with pure blue eyes. Named him Exterminator and now he is neatly chilling in Alola with my other pokemon. :)

Back