• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Safari Zone

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • kangagif.gif

Who here remembers the Safari Zone area? We're there any Pokémon in here that you anxiously always tried to obtain when you were here? What is your favorite Pokémon from this area? We're there any Pokémon you could never catch?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Well considering that I have no other Generation 1 games or people I know who still have said Generation 1 games, I'm pretty much relegated to using the Ditto Glitch to completely fill out the Pokedex. As such, the most notorious or sought after Safari Zone Pokemon is Kangaskhan. Since its Hex value is a whopping 2(or 258), getting it via Ditto glitch would be extremely difficult. Hence its a slog and basically one Safari Ball after another to try and catch one. Sometimes I get lucky and get one right away, while other times it takes me like 100 Balls just to get one. Rest of the Safari Zone I can catch as well or get via Ditto Glitch(which I've found to be easier since they never run away). Ironically I found Dratini to be easier to catch than Kangaskhan or Chansey. Scyther and Pinsir are not far behind them either.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Most things there were hard to get :(

Rhyhorn was always pretty easy though. Don't think I ever got a Chansey or anything cool like that to appear!

Exploring it WAS sooooo much fun though!!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I remember spending hours looking for a Chansey only to have it run away when I finally encountered it. Don't remember if I ever actually caught one. Scyther, Pinsir, and Tauros I do remember, but I think after that little incident I gave up on trying to catch a Chansey. Never bothered with bait or rocks and just kept hurling pokeballs hoping to get lucky. {XD}

Years
  • I remember getting stuck in that area for quite a while. X_X

I found it hard to get to the spot where you got surf (and the gold tooth) because of the 500 step limit. I didn't really spend much time catching Pokemon there, as I got frustrated at them constantly running away and having the ball fail. Also I never did get the point of those rest houses, did they even do anything useful??

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    One of the reasons Pokémon Red is my favorite game is because of the Safari Zone! It's sooo hard to catch the more Rare Pokémon, but the sense of accomplishment when you do get the one you want? That's what hooked me.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I found a particular patch of grass that seemed to have a higher population of Chanseys than anywhere else. Not that that helped much as they were still damn near impossible to catch when I did find them. I loved finding the likes of Tauros, Chansey, Scyther, Pinsir, Venomoth etc because their sprites were so much bigger than the Nidoran and Oddishes and other small crappy ones. So as an 8-9 year old, when I saw one of those silhouettes glide across the screen upon encountering one, my excitement levels went through the roof.

Years
    • Seen today
    I always try to make one trip through and catch as much as I can, but nothing ever ends up on my team. I sorta want to use Kangaskhan next playthrough, but there's lots of easier normal types to get.

Back