• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Wish Fulfillment ♥

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    This talk thread is about something I am a HUGE culprit of. If you know me, well, you know about this too.

I'm talking about writing a post or designing a character that makes a personal wish of yours come true, at least in fiction.

An example of the former? I've wanted to skate for a long time, so I made one of my characters, Avril, use them quite a lot in a series of Hoenn: Square 1 posts and turned her into a skating waitress too, although for only a little time. That one has a happy ending because I did buy a pair eventually and I'm currently learning how to skate, without having, you know, Avril do it for me.
    An example of the latter? Arianne, perhaps Akiza Helene even. Both more at ease with themselves, being clear about what they liked and didn't like - one more of a popular girl and cheerful friend for many, the other ambitious and unapologetic. All things that try to address the fact that in real life, I'm still shy, a bit reserved, and harsh with myself, despite not really feeling like that's actually the kind of personality I'd want for myself. Working on it I promise ♥

So, yeah, this is a topic that can get personal - you don't have to answer in the same way and can focus on more light-hearted things too, no problem! But regardless of that, I'd love to know more about similar connections you made with your characters. And also - did they make writing certain characters easier or more rewarding? Did they play a part in how you'd roleplay and work with other players? Did you ever do something like this without even realizing it?

To that specific question, I would have a pretty interesting answer as well, but... that's even too much to say here. Again, if you know me, if you know how I got here, then I hope you get what I meant and get a nice chuckle out of this. And thank you for everything ;)

Years
  • Honestly... not really? I know that a lot of writers - especially RPers - write for wish fulfilment and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's never been about living vicariously through my characters for me though. For me it has always been about crafting a satisfying story and exploring the minds of different characters first and foremost. Even in RPs, that's my focus. It's just that I get to do it in a different, collaborative way instead.

That's not to say I don't end up exploring parts of myself through my characters. All my characters have a part of me in them to some extent. They come from my mind, so it's impossible for them not to. But I've never created a character with the singular goal of self-discovery or reflection either. That's just a side benefit that sometimes comes up. In the same vein, if a character of mine does end up in a situation that is something I would want for myself... it's really just a coincidence in service to the story.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I used to all the time when I was a child through to my early teens, because it was a form of escapism, I guess, and I enjoyed writing things that I knew I'd always miss out on in life. It was cathartic in a way. Nowadays I don't do that, at least not purposefully (it does sneak in sometimes!). I found it impacted my overall writing in a way I didn't like, that wasn't true to my characters. I still struggle with that at times, you know, keeping my own world views separate and not accidentally preaching or venting through my character's voice, because afterwards, when I realise I've done it, I feel I've lost the thread. It goes on a tangent, and my character is no longer fun for me.

So now I find much more enjoyment in crafting an individual, not a version of myself. I'll need much, much more practice before I can consider myself halfway decent at this, but hey, roleplays are perfect for that.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • if there's any particular wish fulfillment, it tends to be ingrained in my characters rather than making them do random stuff i would like to do. my characters tend to be independent, physically capable, adventurous, financially stable, and able to pursue their passions- those are very base wishes that can have any amount of complexity built around them haha. sometimes characters will inherent an interest in things i'd be interested in pursuing, or like- they'll go to a sushi restaurant because i wanted sushi that day or whatever. but it's either ingrained in their character from the beginning or so background as to hardly matter!

Back