• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Endings

Years
  • Something that we don't talk about a lot are how series end. So, for better or for worse, what are some anime or manga series with endings that left a lasting impression on you?

pkmin3033

Some ones that spring immediately to mind...

- Princess Tutu's ending is the most bittersweet thing I've ever seen. It's fantastic that after all the suffering she endured, Rue got her happy ending, but poor Ahiru didn't really get anything...
    - TTGL's ending is pretty infuriating as well, for similar-ish reasons in that the romance doesn't work out the way it should. You can't just kill her off after rescuing her!
    - Speaking of...fuck off, Your Lie in April. Seriously.
    - Death Note's ending remains the worst I've seen in any anime to date. That show should have ended with episode 24. Everything after that is just plain bad. I HATE Death Note's ending.
    - Cross Ange has the most fantastic pay-off imaginable, both for the protagonists and for some characters (Ange's little sis whose name escapes me at the moment) who really needed a wakeup call to reality. Cafe Ange being a thing was great. xD
    - I typically find Gundam anime endings to be somewhat unsatisfying - it's always the journey and not the destination that counts with these things, at least for me - but I found the ending to Iron Blooded Orphans hit particularly hard. It's probably the best Gundam ending to date, because it didn't dramatically switch gears mid-show (like 00 did) and it didn't downplay its antagonists, so it hit all the right notes.
    - Yugi vs Atem. If you've seen this, you know why. If you haven't, you're missing out. It was the match the entire show was building up to, and it's easily the best the franchise has ever been. Watching Yugi finally step out of Atem's shadow and stop being a borderline side character was extremely satisfying. The way he outplayed Atem at every step - to the point that he knew how the entire game was going to end up, and exactly what to do to come out on top - was fantastic.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Endings can really make or break a series, but if it sticks the landing it or has a really great ending that can really elevate it into the greats.
    If it isn't good I usually just forget about it.

I'll try to not stick to really mainstream or obvious ones for this.

A series that was really great to me, and I think a sleeper for a lot of people is brigadoon, its one of those series that just expanded so far from the initial concept but somehow still stayed good.

The ending to chrono crusade...just hits different.

I won't mention any names (and I hope no one else does as well) but there are a few series with anime original endings, that just completely save the series when compared to the manga ending.

I'll leave it there, anything else would just go into talking about some of my favorites that I've already talked about 100 times.

Years
  • AnoHana's ending is a beautiful gut punch to the feelings every time I see it. I think it's one of the best endings in anime honestly.

Years
  • Clannad: Afterstory's ending was probably my worst experience with an ending. I was emotionally wrecked when I was nearing the end and I could sort of predict what would happen.

well, stupid ol' me searched what would happen in the ending and I confirmed my prediction. Long story short, I hated the ending. I hated myself and the anime for wasting my time watching it. though, of course, that was years ago and from hindsight, I overreacted obviously. I just didn't like those kind of endings, I get too attached to characters ;=;. I should have seen it coming, honestly. I mean its known for the feels :(

still a great series thought that I'll recommend!

Back