• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What region would you like to see made? ^^

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
  • Not what fan-games you'd like to see made, but actually made by GameFreak in future installments. ^^
    What should it be like? Based on a real country? Or what do you have in mind? If they do your idea... what do you want them to include and what do you not want them to do. =O

Region I'd like to see next
    Seeing how they had regions heavily inspired by real life countries such as France (Metropolitan France, if you want to get technical =P) and Hawaii, I wonder if they may try to tackle Germany as well. =O

The reason
    Germany has such pretty wooden clocks, loads of nature, and are generally such clean and lively, but also can be quite serious and well educated, people. =3 I should know, I used to live there. XP
    Spoiler:

What I'd want them to do
    If they did, I hope they make more owl, bunny, and hedgehog Pokémon or other forest creatures. =)
    Preferably, I'd like to see the Marten as a Pokemon. =3 Though... Furret and Zangoose already look a lot like it... but just look how cute it is. >w< ♥
    Spoiler:

Only thing is... Germans can't stand Martens, because they chew through their car's hoses and wires. *sweat*
    They kept telling me what giant rats they are, viscous and evil little creatures that live near the lakes and forests, actually making me believe they're like Raticates except long and ugly, but much later found out online that they look just precious! ^^ ♥

My concerns
    They'll stereotype the heck out of it. >_>
    Put all the NPCs into Lederhosen, do silly dances, yodel constantly, drink beer throughout the day, and randomly spout German lines like "Guten Tag!" and "Auf wiedersehen!" but then make everyone speak English (or what language setting you have it on) otherwise. >-<
    Spoiler:

Yes, some people there do that, but I only saw that on tv there. Most people I know, even in the village I used to live, dress like regular people. *sweat*
    In fact, they dress more like American city folks than anything else. =O Except maybe less exposed in the chest area or less showy... At least down in Bavaria. ^^
    Only in the alpine or at Oktoberfest do they dress with Lederhosen and may do the yodeling and stuff. =O That or the older generation likes watch people dress that way on German tv shows that are all about "Volksmusik" how you call it. ^^ If they want to go for the stereotype, then please don't have them sing traditional folk music It's so awkward to me! XD

What isn't a stereotype is that there are many, many Germans who love beer, are massive fans of soccer, and eat pork above all else! =P

AHEM! So...
    What region do you want to see? Why? What should and shouldn't be in it? ^^

Additional thought: Why DO they keep speaking your language in the games anyways? >-> Wouldn't it be more interesting to deal with loads of NPCs that only speak their own? While others try to speak yours? =O When I played the older games in English without knowing much of anything on it, I found it more interesting, because I had to research and low how to speak the language, as well as got educated along the way. ;) I'd wouldn't want them to make a new language just for the game, because you couldn't use that knowledge anywhere else but in that game. *sweat*

Last edited:
    Years
  • I still really want to see Greece as a region, it has some beautiful scenery and ancient architecture/mythology that could be a crucial part of the story. Plus, the country has many islands surrounding it, allowing for the player to traverse land and sea in their journey. I think a Greece-based region would be perfect tbh.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I would love to see a game take place in Western Canada, particularly Vancouver and surrounding areas. Biased reasons aside, there is a nice mixture of climate there, from maritime to mountainous and even rain forest.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I still really want to see Greece as a region, it has some beautiful scenery and ancient architecture/mythology that could be a crucial part of the story. Plus, the country has many islands surrounding it, allowing for the player to traverse land and sea in their journey. I think a Greece-based region would be perfect tbh.

Except they already used one of the best locations, Santorini / Thira, in Hoenn. Although...a Greek-inspired region would presumably have a lot of ocean, they could use the Egyptian Atlantis!

I would love to see a game take place in Western Canada, particularly Vancouver and surrounding areas. Biased reasons aside, there is a nice mixture of climate there, from maritime to mountainous and even rain forest.

Temperate rainforest I presume? That would be really cool - a forest with permanent rain (would actually make Bug-types not a complete pushover if you have a Fire-type by weakening its STAB super-effective attacks as well).

I was just looking through a previous thread on this topic in Pokémon Gaming Central and found my post elaborating on an idea by Adventure and thought it was pretty cool:

Let's develop my old fan-region RP plot a bit better.

10) Special feature of the Region?
    Hmm. How about, you don't FLY around, but the river that goes through the whole map can (eventually) rather quickly take you to any city. Idk if that's very special ahaha. Perhaps you could also ride/surf on any large enough pokémon, instead of using a bike/HM SURF.​

Actually, this was so much fun that I might re-make my Pokémon World prefix'd thread in Fanfiction & Writing and turn Arcanum into this haha.​

If your mountain range is based on the Andes you could make it that Fly simply isn't possible that high due to the lack of oxygen. Or make it only available to Dragons as a lot of them tend to have pokédex references to flying high and far.

I feel like now we've had variations on tropical regions (Hoenn / Sun & Moon region) and temperate regions (Kanto / Johto / Unova / Kalos) and a slightly colder climate (Sinnoh) going fully into an extreme climate, with some areas that boost pokémon variety would work quite well (running with the Andes theme, hot springs would have nicer climate around them, which could be where bigger cities would be and less hardy pokémon). Although if there wasn't a Toucan pokémon I'd be gutted, I loved the Toucan in George of The Jungle.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
    Years
  • I still really want to see Greece as a region, it has some beautiful scenery and ancient architecture/mythology that could be a crucial part of the story. Plus, the country has many islands surrounding it, allowing for the player to traverse land and sea in their journey. I think a Greece-based region would be perfect tbh.
    Wow! That would actually be pretty beautiful region, deep with history! =D
    I actually liked the Greek alphabet so much that I can spell it out. XP Except the symbols... I can only say it, not write it. ;) AHEM! Anyways... Yeah! You pretty much summed up Greece perfectly! Nothing for me to add! ^^

I would love to see a game take place in Western Canada, particularly Vancouver and surrounding areas. Biased reasons aside, there is a nice mixture of climate there, from maritime to mountainous and even rain forest.
    Now that sounds nice! =D I'd be curious of all the different Pokémon there could be, possibly even variants! ^^

Guest123123

I doubt this will ever happen, but one on a different planet where you're an extraterrestrial species.

pkmin3033

How about an entirely original region, not based off any country at all?

The problem with confining regions to existing places is that you immediately have to fit a theme, and it stifles creativity. You can't have certain landscapes, or cultural inspirations, or even character archetypes, because they don't fit the theme. It becomes predictable and stale and, whilst it is certainly more realistic and recognisable, who plays Pokemon for realism?

I would love to see them do away with this convention of basing regions on existing places and come up with something entirely new and original and unrestrained. Surprise me. Immerse me in a fantasy world I've never seen before, drawing from dozens of different cultures and places and mixing them all together in a unique blend with touches of originality that make the best fantasy worlds in other video games worth exploring. Don't just take me to a simplified version of an existing area of the world but with Pokemon in it, for a change.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I would love to see them do away with this convention of basing regions on existing places and come up with something entirely new and original and unrestrained. Surprise me. Immerse me in a fantasy world I've never seen before, drawing from dozens of different cultures and places and mixing them all together in a unique blend with touches of originality that make the best fantasy worlds in other video games worth exploring. Don't just take me to a simplified version of an existing area of the world but with Pokemon in it, for a change.

I feel like they won't fully remove themselves from basing regions off certain locales even if they did take an approach more like what you're talking about - if you have to design a landmass / island chain from scratch it'll end up looking similar to some real-life inspiration anyway, so why not take the broad outline of features from a real location?

i agree on not just deriving things from one overriding culture, although I feel like after 4 Japan-based regions it was only natural that for later ones they've incorporated the cultures of the other regions as well as their landscapes.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I would say Italy, but I feel that might be too much like France, another romance country.

Although I would love to see their version of Venice.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Probably Australia or Italy it would be nice seeing regions based off those places.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • I have wondered how my home country, The Netherlands, would be like as a region. I could think of thinks of some interesting things landscape-wise, though qua creatures, I am not really sure about that. I do not know if we have one that is typically Dutch...

pkmin3033

I feel like they won't fully remove themselves from basing regions off certain locales even if they did take an approach more like what you're talking about - if you have to design a landmass / island chain from scratch it'll end up looking similar to some real-life inspiration anyway, so why not take the broad outline of features from a real location?

i agree on not just deriving things from one overriding culture, although I feel like after 4 Japan-based regions it was only natural that for later ones they've incorporated the cultures of the other regions as well as their landscapes.
    Because it limits creative vision? I know art imitates life, and there is a tendency to gravitate towards taking inspiration from things regardless - everything fits into a trope, and that's necessarily not a bad thing - but it's never just a broad outline; it's a carbon copy. It's lazy. Can't and won't think outside the box, when there shouldn't be a box in the first place.

I think this is something that can both make a region shine as a place that is interesting to explore, and make it an absolute chore, as it contains no surprises whatsoever. You know more or less what you're going to get in terms of places to explore and Pokemon design, because no real thought has been put into it. In short, they're not creative enough: it's all or nothing, and I'd prefer them to take nothing and actually use their heads for a change. Take inspiration from a variety of cultures if you must, and squish half a dozen different landmasses together if you're out of ideas, but don't just base it all on one area of the world, because it's boring and predictable. At least in my opinion.

Years
  • Love to see Australia based region. The barrier reef, those beautiful beaches and cliffs and not to mention it's urbanity and lifestyle, it seems perfect for a Pokemon advebture

virtualboy2558

Versatile Virty ^u^
    Years
  • I would love to see a game take place in Western Canada, particularly Vancouver and surrounding areas. Biased reasons aside, there is a nice mixture of climate there, from maritime to mountainous and even rain forest.

Ooh, I would find that pretty cool! ^-^ Very wintery and large forests would make a neat landscape for the region. I live in Canada myself, and if they could do it properly and not just tack it on, I would be open to it! =)

Because it limits creative vision? I know art imitates life, and there is a tendency to gravitate towards taking inspiration from things regardless - everything fits into a trope, and that's necessarily not a bad thing - but it's never just a broad outline; it's a carbon copy. It's lazy. Can't and won't think outside the box, when there shouldn't be a box in the first place.

I think this is something that can both make a region shine as a place that is interesting to explore, and make it an absolute chore, as it contains no surprises whatsoever. You know more or less what you're going to get in terms of places to explore and Pokemon design, because no real thought has been put into it. In short, they're not creative enough: it's all or nothing, and I'd prefer them to take nothing and actually use their heads for a change. Take inspiration from a variety of cultures if you must, and squish half a dozen different landmasses together if you're out of ideas, but don't just base it all on one area of the world, because it's boring and predictable. At least in my opinion.

Of course you cannot squish an entire culture into one area... if they did, Pokemon games would take much longer to make than the usual 3 years in production. And it's not like the more recent regions are exactly like the cities or countries they're inspired by. Even if GameFreak isn't the most creative company, they at least make their worlds functional. You could even almost say the Pokemon world is like an alternate world to our Earth, and some of our notable landmasses are reflected in their regions.

And I'll say this... at least Japan (the country that made Pokemon the way it is today) is taking more interest in other cultures, given that a great majority of them tend to be closed-minded of learning their international neighbors.

Years
  • I'm usually the one suggesting Western Canada in these types of threads, but since that's already been done, I'll go with something else and pitch New Zealand.

New Zealand has quite a diverse environment for a relatively small set of islands, with mountains, forests, beaches, and large cities not that far from each other. That plus some of the unique wildlife there would lend itself perfectly to a Pokemon region in my eyes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    How about an entirely original region, not based off any country at all?

The problem with confining regions to existing places is that you immediately have to fit a theme, and it stifles creativity. You can't have certain landscapes, or cultural inspirations, or even character archetypes, because they don't fit the theme. It becomes predictable and stale and, whilst it is certainly more realistic and recognisable, who plays Pokemon for realism?

How about a group of trainers stumbling into an alternate dimension with strange pokemon and landscapes, a la Digimon Adventures 8D

EDIT: aaaaand i made it https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=393108

Last edited:
    Years
  • The United Kingdom or Australia. Favour Australia more, have the outback, jungle, city and forest terrains and not to forget the beautiful ocean!

Back