• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improving Infrastructure In The United States

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    The one thing that most people seem to agree with President Trump on is the fact that our infrastructure is crumbling, old, and lagging behind that of our peers in the rest of the world. Hell, as we saw last week, even the new infrastructure is killing people, so...

The main question people always ask is; "how do we fund such a massive undertaking"?

My answer? Legalize weed nationwide, and introduce a "tax" on every ounce of weed sold. Maybe 50 cents an ounce. We could fund the update in a year or two, tops.

Your thoughts? Ideas? Do you disagree that our infrastructure is crumbling?

Years
  • Legalising weed can't pay for everything the US needs to do but I don't think putting some of that revenue into infrastructure is a bad idea. I'd also reallocate some of the funding being used for the military and building stupid walls.

Overhauling infrastructure would also be a boost to the economy and create desperately needed jobs for the lower and middle classes as well as make places across the country far more accessible. I can't stand Trump but I'm with him on that front.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    I don't think taxing something anyone can grow in their yard or house would work plus I don't think enough people smoke pot to fund all the infrastructure repairs needed.

The infrastructure issue has multiple points.
    1. What has priority for repairs
    2. What companies can make the repairs
    3. Who pays for it.
    4. How fast can it be done?
    5. What govt regs apply
    6. When can you make the repairs (year round or only when warm enough)

Part of the problem is the massive cost of replacing a single bridge and the impact to the population.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • America's so deep in this hole that's there's really no legitimate way to fix it. Legalizing and taxing marijuana wont do much. America already spends billions if not trillions of dollars on things they don't necessarily need. Like the war on drugs for example. All that tax payers money going towards the prison system and big pharmas, it's not to "stop people from using drugs" anyone that thinks it does is a loonie it's nothing but a big profit scheme for the government and big pharmas. Big pharma eliminates medical marijuana and replaces it with man made drugs that in long term are dangerous for the body if not addictive while arresting and potentially locking up people for "smoking weed" making money for prison systems and that's what they want. Hence, why it's really illegal. State and federal are completely different, marijuana is still illegal even in states where it's "legal by state" in America. They want us addicted to benzos, opiates, speed (Ritalin, Adderall, etc) so they make more profit off of us because they're HIGHLY addictive. You're just another customer, they don't actually care about well being.
    Chemotherapy, we know it has a very slim chance of working, it's just another quick buck for big pharma or should I say a nice tip for their good deeds.
    Don't even get me started on the amount of money the government spends on military and war, it's jaw dropping and pathetic they feel the need to be the superpower of the world. Spending all this money to look high and mighty as a result fucking the rest of the population over with their ridiculous spending funds on bullshit. Yes we need military but, seriously?

Another main reason our infrastructure is so screwed is because most of these manufacturing companies went overseas after the free trade agreement. This put America out millions of jobs.

When there's less jobs that equals less revenue for states and when the states spending more than they get, it causes it to go into debt thus causing it to fail. If America doesn't change their priorities on spending habits, our infrastructure is doomed as we know it.
    America has a MAJOR DEBT problem and it's hurting our infrastructure tremendously and quickly as well.

Last edited:

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • Adding a tax to gasoline would be a great way to raise the funds, might make people upset but it could also help encourage other forms of transportation.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    "how the fuck do we fund this" is the eternal dilemma lol

Adding a tax to gasoline would be a great way to raise the funds, might make people upset but it could also help encourage other forms of transportation.

The US already has a tax on gas, and idk if I'd want to see it increased. Nor do I get the feeling that it'd really encourage people to use other forms of transportation.

Years
  • Adding a tax to gasoline would be a great way to raise the funds, might make people upset but it could also help encourage other forms of transportation.

I don't like this approach. This taxes the regular people who have to drive for a living (like me) and not the people with the money who can afford live near where they work. Those people don't have to drive each day (they can walk, take the subway, etc.) so they're paying less in taxes through gasoline tax.

Just tax the rich across the board like should be done generally to pay for things.

Back