• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care what gender you play as?

Years
I'd be fine with playing as the female protagonist. I often think they're better designed than their male counterparts.

I do see your meaning here. Ever since 4th Gen, the male protagonists all seem to have blue incorporated into their outfits, and mostly following very samey designs, most likely to make it easier to design new outfits for Ash in the anime, since his outfits have become more heavily resembling the generation's resident male player character. This became even more literal in SM, where in that anime saga Ash literally wears the exact same outfit as the male player, just with the shirt colours inverted and the hat being red instead of black.

Years
On my first playthrough of the games, I've always gone with the male character since I'm a guy, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Actually, the only time I chose the female character was on my second or third playthrough of Sapphire, and that was just for the novelty of having a rival with my real name, without having to pick it myself.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It just depends. In Gen 6, I only play as the female because there are better clothing options, plus the boy is ugly. Gen 7, the boy is cute and there are better options, so I go with him. I never play as a boy in Crystal because I like Kris' sprite. I change it up from gen 3-5 though. Usually depends on how I'm feeling or whatever team I plan on using.

Years
Not really. I'm trying to swap between them at regular basis as I'm playing a lot of different challenges. But in Gen VI and VII I prefer playing as girl because of the better customization.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Lol when I was younger and more innocent I would play as a girl in x for the anime legs and midriff but I exclusively play as male now for all pokemon games

Last edited:

Lannios

me
Years
I don't really care. Male and female, i don't really care. Actually, a lot of times i put their names as the real character names, specially Rosa and Dawn.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Used to always play as male, but now I play as female on my main game, and then male on my second game (or third game if there's a third version :p)

Back