• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care what gender you play as?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Even though I'm a guy, I play as the Female simply because the Anime has the Male protagonist(in this case Ash), doing what you do in the games: Challenging the Gyms and corresponding League while leaving the sidequests/extra's for that region's Female Lead. Therefore I purposely play the Female character just to see what it would have been like had May, Dawn, Iris(granted I know its Hilda in BW) and Serena had done the same thing as Ash.

I swear... can the Anime get with it and give the Female Lead something better than to strut around as eye candy?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Even though I'm a guy, I play as the Female simply because the Anime has the Male protagonist(in this case Ash), doing what you do in the games: Challenging the Gyms and corresponding League while leaving the sidequests/extra's for that region's Female Lead. Therefore I purposely play the Female character just to see what it would have been like had May, Dawn, Iris(granted I know its Hilda in BW) and Serena had done the same thing as Ash.

I swear... can the Anime get with it and give the Female Lead something better than to strut around as eye candy?

It should've changed the protagonist every region like one of the mangas or the games. Ash is one of the most pathetic protagonists in anime history. But the anime is literally status quo: the anime.

Always token female and male companions, Team Rocket and Pikachu. It will never change past that, apart from maybe changing the number of token sidekicks from time to time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 14, 2018
i'm a boy in real life and always pick on girls since gen 1.

sorry i'm not english not my first language but

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I usually play as the male on my first playthrough, as female on the second and pick either one on any consecutive playthrough, at random or whichever design I think looks best.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I've been playing as a girl ever since Pokemon Red. I don't know why I never play as a boy, probably because it feels...weird? Maybe on my next playthrough I'll play as a boy and call myself Bob.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I usually play as a female character in most video games, including Pokémon games where you are given the option to do so.

Last edited:

NewtonRPG

Newton
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
I don't really care about the gender. All I care about is the gameplay.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
I've mostly played as a girl but in Pokemon X I chose to be a boy since it felt like a welcome change. Even though I'm a girl myself I felt like the character I played as in X was a lot more personal somehow.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 5, 2018
I rarely play as the male. I tend to pick the female, because I'm a girl IRL.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
I don't have a preference, I've just always picked the male because I'm a boy. I'd be fine with playing as the female protagonist. I often think they're better designed than their male counterparts.

LillieAndNebby

Someone (not) very special!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 21, 2023
I will always choose the female protagonist because it just feels weird playing as a boy. Furthermore, character customisation made playing the female character even more lucrative.

... and here is the real reason: playing as a girl eliminates the need to think of a name as I can use my own. I have (almost) played as a boy once in Y and I sat there for an hour and I was like "Is there even a name for a boy?" and I ended up playing the female protagonist again. Well done, Lillie, well done. ^-^'

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I always play as a girl because it just feels weird if I don't. I don't really care about styles or clothes. I have to be in the mood to spend money on the clothes.

Back