• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plusle or Minun

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Do you pick your game version depending on the exclusives they have? Like Zangoose for Ruby and Seviper for Sapphire?
    Or do you base it only on the Legendary? (or other?)
    I recall I picked Black for the White Forest region. X & Moon was my pick, because of the legendaries only. I ended up making Sun my main game afterwards because of the less annoying night cycle.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Tough one to answer, its usually a mix of both, but it mostly depends on the Version's Mascot, Zekrom over Reshiram, Dialga over Palkia, Groudon over Kyogre.

I also preferred White Forest to Black City, so that was another reason for my pick in Gen V.

Pika Pika :chu:

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I always pick versions based on the box Pokemon. Usually my favorite exclusives are already in the version i picked.

Most of the time, for me, it's the opposite. My preferred exclusive are on the version I dislike the box Pokémon the most. I was Really torn between Black & White because Reshiram is so beautiful, while Zekrom is really fugly, but I preferred the exclusive in Zekrom's game. :(

Ida13

Gone For a While
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I pick it for the legendaries, like Yveltal over Xerneas or Solgaleo over Lunala.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I pick it for the legendaries, like Yveltal over Xerneas or Solgaleo over Lunala.
    I haven't played the 3DS games, but if I do (someday hopefully :P), I'd probably pick X and Sun over Y and Moon, just based on the fact that I like Xerneas and Solgaleo more than their counterparts :).

Pika Pika :chu:

Maihem

Gamer & YouTuber
    Years
  • For me I usually picked the one with the legendary/cover Pokemon. Never really been the kind to thoroughly research the unique Pokemon in each game, just walk in the story like "Yup, that legendary looks badass!" and pick that one.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I unintentionally never picked the one that had the ones I wanted. Missed out on Scyther, Skarmory, Donphan, Reuniclus, Braviary, Drampa and Oranguru

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    i usually pick based on boxed pokemon too
    except with moon
    i picked that bc i am obsessed with the moon
    i like lunala but honestly, to me, solgaleo is much cooler

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I pick games based on what Pokemon are available to a particular version. In the latest generation, I'd pick Pokemon Sun simply because Alola Vulpix is one of its exclusive Pokemon. Legendaries are an afterthought for me.

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I usually decide based on the cover Pok?mon, with three exceptions:

Gen I: I was with my mom at a Sears in the United States, where they only had Blue in stock. I got it by default haha.

Gen III: After previously getting my choice of Silver over Gold(which went to my brother), he was allowed to pick first this time, meaning I got my second choice of Ruby.

Gen V: I got a Japanese White Version shipped to me upon release there, and got Black(aka my second choice) on the English-language release.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I choose based on first impression and preference. In the case of Generations V and vII, I chose the versions I initially preferred (Black and Moon) even though the other versions had features and Pok?mon I preferred much more. I chose Black because I thought that colour was cooler, and I liked Reshiram over Zekrom. I chose Moon before the legendaries were even revealed - the logo was enough to convince me. Even if I had picked the other versions with the more preferable features, I think I would've felt bad about not getting the version I initially liked.

As for RSE, I went with Emerald but otherwise I'd pick Sapphire based on the title legendary.

Last edited:

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    For me I usually picked the one with the legendary/cover Pokemon. Never really been the kind to thoroughly research the unique Pokemon in each game, just walk in the story like "Yup, that legendary looks badass!" and pick that one.
    When you discover what exclusive Pok?mon are in your game, are you usually happy or disappointed?
    I unintentionally never picked the one that had the ones I wanted. Missed out on Scyther, Skarmory, Donphan, Reuniclus, Braviary, Drampa and Oranguru
    Ugh, same for me! I missed on Growlithe, Zangoose, Cottonee, Spritzee and A-Vulpix. I really think they do that kind of thing on purpose, I almost always prefer the exclusives of the other version.
    I pick games based on what Pokemon are available to a particular version. In the latest generation, I'd pick Pokemon Sun simply because Alola Vulpix is one of its exclusive Pokemon. Legendaries are an afterthought for me.
    That's interesting! I should've made a poll, so far you seem to be one of the few picking on exclusives and not box legendaries. To be honest I think it's the way I should go as well because I don't use legendaries on my team. How about you?
    i usually pick based on boxed pokemon too
    except with moon
    i picked that bc i am obsessed with the moon
    i like lunala but honestly, to me, solgaleo is much cooler
    Did you also prefer the exclusives when you saw what they were?
    Gen V: I got a Japanese White Version shipped to me upon release there, and got Black(aka my second choice) on the English-language release.
    That's pretty cool! I bought Moon at first but then I also purchased Sun to ease my breeding, and I decided to start over Moon in French. I'm so confused at the Pok?mon and Moves names haha. Did you play in Japanese?

I choose based on first impression and preference. In the case of Generations V and vII, I chose the versions I initially preferred (Black and Moon) even though the other versions had features and Pok?mon I preferred much more. I chose Black because I thought that colour was cooler, and I liked Reshiram over Zekrom. I chose Moon before the legendaries were even revealed - the logo was enough to convince me. Even if I had picked the other versions with the more preferable features, I think I would've felt bad about not getting the version I initially liked.

As for RSE, I went with Emerald but otherwise I'd pick Sapphire based on the title legendary.
    Really? The logo made you pick the game? That's interesting, the first logos didn't stick with me, I can barely remember what they looked like. I remember USUM's logos however, and I'm still unsure which game to pick ^-^; Will you pick up USUM?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • That's interesting! I should've made a poll, so far you seem to be one of the few picking on exclusives and not box legendaries. To be honest I think it's the way I should go as well because I don't use legendaries on my team. How about you?

Well Legendaries make battling far too easy as their power dwarfs that of any Pokemon of a similar type. Since I frequent playing Pokemon Yellow(the infamous Generation 1 when it comes to Item storage), the Legendaries would be the Birds(Moltres, Articuno and Zapdos who are very similar to Eevee Evolutions(except Vaporeon has no STAB on Ice moves and Moltres lacks Flamethrower... a real drawback) and the two Psychics in Mew and Mewtwo. Rest are typical Pokemon although you could argue that Dragonite, Gyarados, Lapras and Snorlax are quasi-Legendaries.

The reason I like Pokemon Yellow over the other Generation 1 games is that I can have all three Kanto starters at once as opposed to having just one or having to trade them from a third party. I also like it because Pikachu naturally learns Thunderbolt(only Electric Pokemon to do so). Unfortunately for Yellow though, it lacks any exclusive Pokemon. What you can find in Pokemon Yellow can also be found in either Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue. However, if I had to choose between Red or Blue for exclusive Pokemon, Id probably pick Blue because it has two Pokemon I absolutely love: Vulpix(#1 Pokemon and why I'd pick Pokemon Sun for its Alola variant) and Sandshrew(Ground Type that has underrated power).

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • That's pretty cool! I bought Moon at first but then I also purchased Sun to ease my breeding, and I decided to start over Moon in French. I'm so confused at the Pok?mon and Moves names haha. Did you play in Japanese?
    I played White Version in Japanese(as after all, the English translation had yet to be completed at that point). I didn't understand much though, as my Japanese sucks. I can read kana though so I knew the Pok?mon's names at least. As a result I still refer to several Gen 5 characters and locations by their Japanese names. xD

I actually started playing Moon in French as well recently, and the names and moves have confused me too. It's the reverse of the above problem with Gen 5 though, as now I'm used to the English names as opposed to other languages(in this case French).

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I don't really pick versions for exclusives typically, though I did switch from LeafGreen to FireRed back in the day because I wanted Vuplix and Oddish.

Years
  • I tend to pick my "main" version based on the cover legendary and which other version exclusive Pokemon I liked better. Version exclusives tend to play a major part in which version I play more than the other.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I don't really pick versions for exclusives typically, though I did switch from LeafGreen to FireRed back in the day because I wanted Vuplix and Oddish.
    What usually makes your pick your game, then?
    I tend to pick my "main" version based on the cover legendary and which other version exclusive Pokemon I liked better. Version exclusives tend to play a major part in which version I play more than the other.

Ah-ha! So you're one of those (like me) who ends up buying both games? :P I also consider having a "main" and a "side" game. Between USUM, which will be your main you think?

Years
  • Ah-ha! So you're one of those (like me) who ends up buying both games? :P I also consider having a "main" and a "side" game. Between USUM, which will be your main you think?

Well, I kinda broke that pattern with S/M since Moon is currently the only one of the two I have. I'm the only person in my family who's even invested in Pokemon.

As for US/UM, I'm going to be picking UM since you know, I love Lunala better than Solgaleo and the new forms are no different.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i always pick based on exclusives. i stopped caring about the legendary after dppt

Back