• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Ryan Reynolds voicing pikachu (not kidding)

Years
  • Well that's... something. I mean, I guess it's better than fans who originally wanted Danny Devito to get the part (or is it?), but either way, I can't say that I'm overly excited for a Detective Pikachu movie. Hopefully it proves me wrong when we finally get it, though!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So since we know that Ryan Reynolds will be playing himself, like he does in all of his movies, what does everybody think about the idea of Reynold-chu? I expect Reynold-chu to be sarcastic, have plenty of monologues, and to fill almost every line with Innuendos.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Reynolds quite a bit, but it doesn't change the fact that when he acts, he's not playing another character, he's just playing a slightly exaggerated version of himself.

The thing I don't quite understand, is Detective Pikachu a pokemon that has always been able to coherently speak in english (I assume like Meowth), because I have never heard of Detective Pikachu until I started hearing rumors about this movie months ago.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Well that's... something. I mean, I guess it's better than fans who originally wanted Danny Devito to get the part (or is it?)

No, it's not. The idea for Devito to play Detective Pikachu may have been seen as a meme of sorts due to stuff like the online petitions for it, but make no mistake, it was premised on the fact that DeVito's voice and mannerisms are an uncannily perfect match for the role.

Reynolds might do a good or even great job, but when you consider that the entire point of hiring a celebrity actor for a voice role to make people interested in seeing that person be that character, Devito would have garnered so much more interest.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So since we know that Ryan Reynolds will be playing himself, like he does in all of his movies, what does everybody think about the idea of Reynold-chu? I expect Reynold-chu to be sarcastic, have plenty of monologues, and to fill almost every line with Innuendos.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Reynolds quite a bit, but it doesn't change the fact that when he acts, he's not playing another character, he's just playing a slightly exaggerated version of himself.

The thing I don't quite understand, is Detective Pikachu a pokemon that has always been able to coherently speak in english (I assume like Meowth), because I have never heard of Detective Pikachu until I started hearing rumors about this movie months ago.

It is based on the game which was apparently really popular in Japan and wasn't very kid friendly if I recall.

I love him being Pikachu. He is sarcastic and I don't care if he is just being himself or not. Acting is acting. He is probably the perfect part for the movie.

But now, when I think of Pikachu, I am going to be thinking of Deadpool.

As for Danny Devito, he didn't know what pokemon was. So i don't know if he would be a good choice or not. Ryan probably grew up like most of us, playing the games. He may be 41, but that means he was 19 or 20 when pokemon started, meaning he probably has more understanding of the pokemon world.

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Hi I'm not productive

Spoiler:

Danny DeVito should've done this role. Pretty sure there was a fan petition for it at some point...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • It's not Danny DeVito, but I wonder how well Ryan Reynold will do as Detective Pikachu.

Currently, I'm seeing negative reactions from people who never heard of the Detective Pikachu game due to its Japan-only status.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • i can't believe this isnt a joke

first, a live-action pokemon movie? second, its based off a game only released in Japan? third, they are using american actors? fourth, they think this will have widespread appeal? fifth, I'm totally seeing this movie when its released

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i have trouble accepting this as something that actually is happening haha

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
  • They should have got Ryan Gosling instead based on Blade Runner 2049 and him having comedy chops as well in stuff like La La Land.

Back