• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The Sun and Moon Starters: A Closer Look into our New Pokémon

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
This was a really interesting article to read, nice work! Was interesting to see what animals and concepts each respective starter is based on. A fun read!

Years
The endangered species connection was the best part of the article, but also the comparisons to previous starters suggesting what the evolutions could look like was also a worthy read.

Looking forward to more Sun & Moon articles from you and the others.

Years
I swear to god, if this region pulls a Kalos and only releases like 2 new Pokemon, I'm flying to Game Freak's headquarters and introducing them to my goddamn fists.

Starters are rad though, so good start GF. 8]

Years
Pretty good analysis from not having much to go on. Good catch in noticing that they're all animals from island and tropical areas.

Also, the mention of Litten possibly getting a secondary Rock-type makes me think that Popplio could get a secondary Fighting-type so that their secondary types could all form a secondary rock-paper-scissors. And seals and sea lions are pretty vicious animals after all, so I could see that happening with Popplio to help differentiate it from Dewgong and Walrein.

Last edited:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I'mso excited to use these starters now! I like the idea that Esper said about forming the secondary types in a way that there is a second advantage. I can't decide which one will be used on my first run! I really like all of them, though Rowlet is probably just a little bit ahead right now.

Your analysis was quite good I thought and really made for a good read! Looking forward to all your future articles.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I swear to god, if this region pulls a Kalos and only releases like 2 new Pokemon, I'm flying to Game Freak's headquarters and introducing them to my goddamn fists.

It's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon. We'll get some awesome stuff. All the punches will be pulled.

blue

gucci
Years
Thanks for putting this together, a great in-depth article! Some interesting points were brought up and it definitely gave me more of an insight to these starters.

Since first seeing the starters they have already started to grow on me, particularly Rowlet. Still on the fence about Popplio, though I do like the idea of it having relations to performing seals. Litten still remains my favourite and after seeing some more art work I'll most definitely be choosing it as my first choice.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
Rowlet is love. Rowlet is life.

But in all seriousness, I love all the starters! The only starter poll that I loved all of then was Hoenn (and I hate the unova starters, they're just bad). I wish I could get all of then on the playthroug! But since it's only one, I go with Rowlet. It's just too cute! And by it's description on the Sun Moon website, The final evolution will be a fast physical sweeper.

#TeamRowlet

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Nice read! And I'm calling it now:

Starter's final forms are based on circus performers.

Owlet becomes a knife thrower

Litten a tiger that jumps through a fire hoop.

Polpio a seal performer, like a juggler.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Didn't Fire/Fighting rule supreme in Starters from Gen III to Gen V? I'm fairly sure Emboar is Fire/Fighting...

Reactions: Z25
Back