• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No, I am your father!

pkmin3033

Plot twists are great...and sometimes they're not. What's the most ridiculous, unbelievable, or just plain BAD plot twist you've ever encountered in the story of a game? Were you surprised by it? Have your feelings for the plot and the game changed over time because of this?

....obviously, this topic will contain spoilers.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The end of Bioshock Infinite. This one ranks right up there in the bad category, and considering how not flattering the gameplay is (especially by that point), it really leaves a bad taste where you should really be overflowing with emotion.

I'm not really going to go into what happens since the end is basically based solely around its twists, but the game's logic essentially collapses into itself in favor of...trying to make the player feel some sort of bittersweet takeaway? I generally like to forgive this game on the basis that it had such a tumultuous development cycle and was at one point a completely different game (that looked a hell of a lot better), but it just seemed far too confused with itself at the end and really failed in its attempt to try to make the player feel as if there was more meaning than was actually there.

It's just not a good time.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Transitioning away from the beast focus of Bloodborne into the eldritch horror focus was so freaking cool and not something a lot of people expected.
You buy Bloodborne expecting to hunt beasts and those infected by a plague that turns people into said beasts, and by the end of the game you're dealing with HP Lovecraftian Horror monstrosities

Also Nier Automata. All of the last third of Route B and beyond. Not spoiling that, though.

IM BAD AND MISREAD

Last edited:

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
Transitioning away from the beast focus of Bloodborne into the eldritch horror focus was so freaking cool and not something a lot of people expected.
You buy Bloodborne expecting to hunt beasts and those infected by a plague that turns people into said beasts, and by the end of the game you're dealing with HP Lovecraftian Horror monstrosities

Also Nier Automata. All of the last third of Route B and beyond. Not spoiling that, though.

Not to discredit your post or anything, Disturbed, but we're talking about BAD plot twists here. Like, for instance, Super Mario Bros. 2 being all a dream, the extreme pushover of a final boss in Fallout 3, Joker's steroid serum in Batman: Arkham Asylum, that kind of thing.

P.S: Now that I'm thinking about it, your positive reaction towards Bloodborne makes me wish all the more that it comes out the Switch sometime soon. :-(

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
oops i completely misread the post omg

that ... makes a lot more sense now OOPS

uh, bad plot twists

uh uh uh

...the ending of Danganronpa v3
(that's all I got for right now I'll come back to this)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Fine. Here goes.

Spoilers of both the Bravely games await you beyond this sentence.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The end of Bioshock Infinite. This one ranks right up there in the bad category, and considering how not flattering the gameplay is (especially by that point), it really leaves a bad taste where you should really be overflowing with emotion.

I'm not really going to go into what happens since the end is basically based solely around its twists, but the game's logic essentially collapses into itself in favor of...trying to make the player feel some sort of bittersweet takeaway? I generally like to forgive this game on the basis that it had such a tumultuous development cycle and was at one point a completely different game (that looked a hell of a lot better), but it just seemed far too confused with itself at the end and really failed in its attempt to try to make the player feel as if there was more meaning than was actually there.

It's just not a good time.

Really? You didn't like that? I thought that was a great twist to his entire character and the whole point to the story. It was one of the more unique and interesting plot twists I've seen in something.
And it makes replaying it all the better.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Chrono Cross

As fascinating as the game is, it really suffers from trying to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger. That is not to say having lots of references to the previous game is a bad thing. Chrono Cross actually did a pretty decent job for the majority of the game.

And then you get to the end. There's a point right at the end when you come to realize that you've pretty much done all there is to it. Pretty much any conflict build up has been resolved and the game might as well end and everything would be fine. But of course that's not the end. After all it's a sequel to Chrono Trigger, which means that you have to fight Lavos because of course it's not dead, yet.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
It's already been said but Super Mario Bros 2 ending which shows a nightcapped Mario asleep in bed and it 'was all a dream.'

Strangely despite being figments of Mario's dream Shy Guys and Birdo have appeared in several Mario games especially in Mario Kart.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
So in the "Really well done and just generally amazing plot twist" category, we have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky. Oh my Arceus this was so perfectly done. They don't hint it at all (bar the "Ghost types are usually evil in Pokemon games" thing), which can be good or bad. In this case, the first real clue you get is... well... when it happens. You just caught a bad guy, Grovyle. Then your friend Dusknoir says that he and Grovyle are actually from the future and that he's going to take Grovyle back with him. But as he is about to return, he literally grabs you and your partner and says "YOU'RE COMING WITH ME!" and the next thing you know Dusknoir is about to have you executed. This game is rated E. then the execution fails cause Grovyle is a smart cookie.

What's great about this is the surprise, buildup, and the character's reactions. Unlike in some games where the characters just kind of accept the plot twist at face value, in PMD2 your partner really struggles to get over the fact that Dusknoir isn't the great hero he thought he was. It takes him a solid 4 dungeons to come to terms with this fact. OH, and these dungeons are freaking scary. which really adds to the intensity.

In the "good concept but terrible execution" category, we have Bravely Default (and to a much lesser extent Second). The concept of this was really good. Your heroes meet a mystery fairy, who tells you how to save the world, but turns out you were just destroying a different world, which you then get transported to. Repeat. The execution was just bad. The repetition in the last 4 chapters was awful.

And in the "worst plot twist ever", we have Gates to Infinity. Dear Arceus this game was terrible and the twists worse. It's another "turns out the character you thought was evil is actually nice fwohohoho" but it was REALLY forced. Oh, and the Keldeo subplot was dumb.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Best part about how bad the latter half of Bravely Default's story was is that Ringabel regains his memories part way through and doesn't even bother to tell the rest of group the highly important information he's remembered, or even just offer a "hey, maybe we should do something different this time". Like what the hell man.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Really? You didn't like that? I thought that was a great twist to his entire character and the whole point to the story. It was one of the more unique and interesting plot twists I've seen in something.
And it makes replaying it all the better.
Nah see, that's the ironic thing about it.
Spoiler:

And I suppose the reason was that for a game that decided it actually wanted to take on these real world ideas of racism and the like and then go for a twist that was so...plain, with Comstock...Infinite didn't take any risks. It didn't have anything to say, and it wasn't really trying to do anything even though the tools were all there for what could have been one of the greatest narratives we've seen in gaming. And I really want to blame the game getting cut short and being reworked multiple times for this because, again, the narrative and the ideas within it all do seem to be at war with each other, and some parts of the story seem so hamfisted that it seems like they really were a part of some other game considering how quickly they escalate or how easily they're moved on from.

And in terms of replay value, I actually think it's probably one of the weaker games I've played in that regard, partially because all of its issues become glaring once you start it up a second time, more once you realize that the idea of the illusion of choice, as they portray it, makes all of the choices particularly unfun because they don't have any interesting or thought-provoking outcomes. This ironically even extends to the gameplay, where likely 99% of the playerbase will take at least the same powers each time, most of the same weapons, and will upgrade most of the same things. This irony's made a bit humorous when you realize that the game actually even penalizes you for upgrading multiple weapons since all that this really grants you is reduced damage overall and fewer perks on the weapons you have equipped, made worse by the limited nature of the resources in the game.

Just makes me sad is all. Starting it up I was really looking forward to it but I can easily say that the first hour, maybe 30 minutes are the best part and after that it's all downhill. Which is a damn shame.

Sorry for the rant, had a lot to say about it at the time but never really had the chance or outlet to actually do it.

Back