• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Wasted Potential

Years
I've been watching WataMote lately, and whilst I adore it and find it absolutely hilarious, I feel like they were really onto something here that could have been pushed a lot deeper. Are there any anime (or manga) with concepts/premises/characters that you really loved, but felt that could have been executed much better? Which anime (or manga) had the potential to be much better than they ended up?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 14, 2017
I feel like most Gundam series that aren't part of the Universal Century timeline fit this idea painfully well. Reconguista, the first season of Iron-Blooded Orphans at least (although the second is headed that way already) and 00's second season all fell flat. I don't think Unicorn ended as well as it could have either, especially concerning Full Frontal, who I found to be quite interesting initially.

Danganronpa's Future Arc could have been so much more than it was, too. Considering how good the Despair Arc was, that the Future Arc followed the same locked-room mystery scenario the games did was depressing.

Tiger & Bunny started off strongly and fell flat, too. More time spent on Lunatic, rather than Jake, would have made it a much better anime in my opinion. It had a very unsatisfying conclusion.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Naruto Shippuden, when they made the titular character a prophecy child, which contradicts the main theme surrounding his character, which is hard work changing destiny.

Years
Naruto Shippuden, when they made the titular character a prophecy child, which contradicts the main theme surrounding his character, which is hard work changing destiny.

By that point it was just so expected it didn't bother me.

It stopped being about hard work>genius in the Chuunin exam arc where literally every main fight was won thanks to hacks.

Years
Fairy Tail, when battles turned from science counters/determination to MY FRENDS ARE MY POWRRRR and the story itself regressed into male fanservice.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
Anime as a whole. A medium that has the potential to be filled with beauty while showing all kinds of aspects of Japanese culture is instead wasted on girls with big boobs and pathetic excuses for comedy.

Lookin' at you, Hate! Die! Sundown!.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Anime as a whole. A medium that has the potential to be filled with beauty while showing all kinds of aspects of Japanese culture is instead wasted on girls with big boobs and pathetic excuses for comedy.

Lookin' at you, Hate! Die! Sundown!.

That's why western anime fans enjoy JoJo, OPM, AoT, Berserk, DBZ, and Fist of the North Star more because they feature less girls with big boobs and more overly muscular men, which doesn't grow distaste from both genders.

Years
That's why western anime fans enjoy JoJo, OPM, AoT, Berserk, DBZ, and Fist of the North Star more because they feature less girls with big boobs and more overly muscular men, which doesn't grow distaste from both genders.

Most of the people I've come across actually prefer comedy/drama/slice of life.
Myself I like both lmao

Anyway, I think another one that fits the topic is ReWrite. The premise had a lot of potential but the pacing was just awful, the otherwise good characters lacked development and the abrupt change of gears hurt it a lot. It could have been soooooo much better than it was.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
Kiznaiver just why :c To be fair, I did like it a lot more than a lot of other people did, but all and all, there was so much that could have been done with it to make it better :c

Back