• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch turns 4 today!

pkmin3033

Where does the time go? On this day in 2017, the Nintendo Switch was released, and has gone on to sell over 70 million units! Quite a bit more than the disaster that was the Wii U, then.

So let's talk Switch! Did you get yours at launch? What is your favourite/most played game? Anything you're looking forward to in the near future? Anything it desperately needs, games or otherwise? Overall, how would you rank it compared to the competition and past consoles?

Years
  • I got mine at launch, all in preparation for the new Animal Crossing release (which I thought would be sooner than the 3 years I had to wait haha!). That's definitely my most played game, I have around 400 hours in it which probably isn't a lot by most people's standards but for me it's a pretty big deal :D

I would absolutely love a Persona main game release on Switch - it's something I've only recently gotten into but think it would be a perfect game for Switch! I'd also love another main Pokémon game. I was slightly disappointed by Pkmn Shield but maybe I'm out of touch lol.
    There are a lot of things wrong with the Switch, the main being the dreaded joycon drift which I hope Nintendo will address at some point. However, I can't really complain because it's been a cathartic release for me during the Pandemic and I love that it's portable so I can take it with me : - )

Years
  • So it's officially 4 years of me thinking about getting Switch.

I think Switch is great and original console, but I see the main problem with games. I'm fan of Nintendo's franchises, but it feels like there aren't that many good games on Switch. It started strong with Super Mario Oddysey, Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and few more, but it quickly got to the point that most of the bigger releases I hear about are either disappointing (like Pokémon games), remakes or are also released on PC.

I'm still not sure if I should get Switch for like 5 games that I'm interested in and hope for new games. I might as well wait for a updated version of Switch that could be released soon.

Years
  • Nintendo Switch turns 4 today!

here's a photo of my switch still in the box after we went to the midnight release for it and BOTW! We've since upgraded to the ACNH Switch, but logged many hours on this one. My most played game is ACNH (210 Hours), followed by BOTW (65 Hours). I had so much fun playing ACNH at launch, fizzled out, and recently got back into it.

I'm relatively kinda looking forward to the SSHD remake, wishing we had TP/WW HD ports as well. I'm also kinda disappointed with the support for old games/eShop stuff - like, Nintendo Switch Online still doesn't have N64 games on it, wth is that? I wanna replay OoT & MM on my Switch dang it.

The Switch definitely is probably my favorite console, I just feel like there's missed potential re: the User Interface (no folders, no themes) and lack of eshop stuff. lol

pkmin3033

I got my Switch at launch, and I've not upgraded to a new model or side-graded to a Lite yet, much as I've wanted to. Coral Lite is gorgeous and that MH Switch is verrry tempting. I'm on my third set of Joycons (neon pink and green) and have a split pad pro I don't use because my hands can't get used to it, haha. I have something like 200 games for it now...yeah, it's my most-played console. Most played game would be MHGU at 540 hours, followed by Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition at 350 hours...and other stuff at a lot less, haha.

Switch is one of those frustrating consoles that I love for the games but hate because it's criminally under-utilised in every department, including the games. The Virtual Console wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, especially during the Wii u era, but it was managed much better than the rubbish online service Nintendo are putting out on this, and it's annoying because they are once again sitting on their legacy content for no good reason...and will probably continue to do so. This thing is practically BEGGING to be a port machine, and there's no reason why they can't just put the games out there when they're obviously not going to remake or remaster them. Never mind that the Switch UI is even worse than the 3DS one. At least the 3DS had a decent activity log, as well as themes, folders, music...taking the "it plays good games and that's all that matters" thing a bit too far with this.

...and I haven't even gotten into the unacceptable quality of the Joycons.

As a console, I find there is more to dislike about the Switch than not. But the games really do save it, and as someone who grew up with handhelds I find myself gravitating towards it more often than I do my other consoles for the most part, and if a game is on multiple platforms I will usually bite the bullet and accept the loss of visual quality and performance for that portable convenience. Although the PS5's ridiculously fast loading times are testing my resolve more than a bit there.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I got my Switch a few months after it was released. Not necessarily a bad console, but it certainly has its flaws, especially with the drifting controllers (I've bought two controllers since my Joy Cons started drifting, and now both of those controllers are drifting too)

I liked being able to play a main series Pokémon game on the TV for the first time

Years
    • Seen today
    I like the console, but I prefer the Wii U because of the virtual console selection.

I don't like the subscription service, and how you can only obtain what they drip feed every few months.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Omg has it really been that long already? (。・o・。)

Years
  • Wow it feels like the other month I was driving to every Toys R Us I could, trying to find a Switch in stock haha. It's also crazy to think about how the 3DS is TEN years old now. Time flies ;__;

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Switch. The first-party games are amazing, as usual for Nintendo. I think I have the most hours in Breath of the Wild or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The only thing I would have like to see is more powerful hardware, because third-party games don't tend to do very well on the Switch when there are more powerful console options. But Nintendo does Nintendo, and they do it well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • that feels so strange... i remember me and a coworker getting super excited after seeing the trailer. and i got my switch for christmas the year it released. i love my switch, i haven't been playing it much as of late, but i've sunk countless hours into pokemon sword, fire emblem three houses, friends of mineral town, animal crossing, i even use it to play just dance and my partner and i plan on getting ring fit adventure aha. i think it's just a fantastic console. i love the versatility of it, just wish the joycons weren't such an issue. had to replace my pair last summer. was thankfully able to nab a pro controller, which i've come to prefer for some titles, but i really like the joycons as controllers too. i just use them a little more sparingly bc i don't wanna replace them again.

happy birthday switch!!!

Back