• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Losing your progress

pkmin3033

I'm sure it's happened to us all at some point or another - corrupt save data, forgetting to save (or being unable to) and losing several hours of playtime, a power cut, external interference from another person...there are any number of ways progress can be lost in an instant, especially considering a lot of video games do not autosave and still won't let you save anywhere.

So, what was the most painful loss of progress in a video game for you? Did you move past it, or was it enough to make you give up on the game in question?

...my answer to this WOULD have been my copy of Pokemon X corrupting and losing me nearly 10 years worth of Pokemon, but I found out just now that my 500+ hour save file of Monster Hunter Generations was stored on my SD card and not the game card...an SD card I wiped as I transferred my account to my other 3DS. I don't know if I have the energy to do all that again...

TY

losing 2k hours of effort in Terraria characters and worlds

all because of a steam update

Years
  • I've already mentioned this before on another topic. All my hard work on my Blue Version got erased two times. First time, I don't know how it got erased but I think a boy from school erased my file when I was not in the classroom and he must have took my Gameboy out of my backpack when I was not in the classroom. The second time my Blue Version got erased was when a classmate with a Silver Version wanted a Squirtle so he started a new file on my Blue and said he would not save the game. He just wanted to trade the Squirtle he started a new file on my Blue to his Silver but, you can't trade without saving first and that stupid jerk erased my Blue Version and all my hard earned Pokemon I caught and raised to level 100 were erased.

Another game I played that got erased was Banjo Kazooie and I shared the same file with my sister. A friend of my sister said that if you get a game over battling Gruntilda, the final boss, your file will get erased and to prevent the file getting erased, you had to reset the game if you die on your last life without getting a message game over. My sister and I did not believe the friend and so when we got up to Gruntilda and got a game over, our file got erased and my sister and I had to start all over from the first world traveling all the way to the 10th world which took a week I think to get to Gruntilda, the last final boss again.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    My Twilight Princess save file was corrupted because of the disc getting scratched. I've already beaten the game, but now the entire game doesn't work anymore so I can't replay it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Most of the time I play for a while and turn the game off, forgetting to save.

When I use Emulators, I frequently lose my save file. This happened to me halfway through Mother 3.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Bravely Second has crashed on me way too many times, and one time I lost forty-five minutes of progress in the game.

No effort is wasted effort, you say?

Also, my Tomodachi Life game keeps getting its save data corrupted. Don't know how, don't know why, it just does.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • For me it was probably my Phantasy star online save file on gamecube corrupting. Spent hours with friends grinding to get weapons and armour to do ultimate was around level 112 which wasnt an easy thing to hit.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Our Minecraft servers have been accidentally wiped so many times it kinda became a meme/"tradition" :P

When I played Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town my save file got corrupted somehow (I did the thing where I blew into the cartridge and when I popped it back in everything was just gone) - that one was probably most frustrating, if you played HM you know how much time you sink into your little farm and it really sucked losing so much progress, but eventually I picked it up again and got even further with it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Happened to me when replaying Digimon World 3, glitched after hours of playing doing tons of grinding, and of course I didn't save the game.

I gave up and left the game after that, lol.

Back