• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Your Very First Card

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    What was the first Pokémon card you ever owned? Do you remember how/where you got it? Do you still have it? If not, what happened to it?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I honestly can't remember. I thought it was a Jigglypuff (Jungle) I bought from a classmate during a school festival for the longest time, but the dates don't add up. I would've had my Ancient Mew and probably my VHS Mewtwo by that point, but it doesn't seem like either of those were my first card. I do remember some Japanese cards being among my first though, so maybe it was one of those? All from the same friend, IIRC (I think he gave me the Exeggcute and I traded him snacks for the other two).

1168319.jpg
    1168271.jpg
    1168205.jpg

I've still got the Exeggcute and Omanyte, but I've no idea what ever happened to the Golbat. Which is a shame since it feels the most nostalgic of these three for some reason...

EDIT: Pretty sure I got most of my bootleg sticker cards before I got any of these, if those count. My first was Magikarp (Team Rocket). I remember my sister poking fun at me, saying that I couldn't have gotten anything worse, only for her to get a Grass Energy. I had given it away when I gave my cousin all of my non-VG and official TCG stuff back in middle school, but it found its way back to me. :)

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • An Espeon I got in London, in my first meetup with PC people, as a gift from the former member known as Drakow. A great souvenir from my first solo trip

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • If I remember right... my first Pokémon card was Oddish from the Jungle set in summer 1999. I had received Pokemon Blue version for Christmas in 1998, but I didn't get into the anime/cards until after playing the video game.

I remember it being warm outside. My parents and I were at a flea market (outdoor area where vendors sell typically used or second-hand goods for cheap). Oddish stuck out to me because it looked mysterious with its red eyes and stubby legs lol. I do not have the card. It's somewhere in my parent's closet (at least, that is what they tell me. Not surprised if they sold my belongings when I moved out). They refuse to give me my old Pokemon cards and most of my GBA/DS era games. :/

45161.jpg

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    The first Pokémon card I physically obtained was the Base Set, 1st edition, Machamp from the 2-Player Starter Box. I'm fairly certain that was the first card I'd ever seen in person, in fact. Good ol' Dad bought it for me, haha.

And yes! I do still have it and indeed it is still in its original packaging. It's pretty discolored from years of being encased in shoddy plastic, air locked with pollution of the 90s, and being exposed to the sun for prolonged periods.. but I don't care I still love it to pieces!
    ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2022
    I got that pikachu pokemon card from a magazine. Years ago, I used to subscribe to a Nintendo magazine, and one of them contained that pikachu pokemon card. I wasn't really into Pokemon at the time, and I was only just learning about it. But I kept it because I knew it was special in some way. I'm surprised I never misplaced the card or anything... But then I discovered Pokemon, and the rest, as they say, is history:)

Last edited:
    Back