• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Disney Starting Their Own Streaming Service, Pulling Movies From Netflix

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Paramount_Pictures,_Inc.
    Wouldn't be surprised if this heralded an age where the biggest providers of entertainment once again owned the method of distribution - we already saw this coming with Netflix, but they were essentially held at the whims of the companies they supplied until they put more focus onto producing their own content. Disney has the most potential due to the sheer breadth of their content and the markets they tap into, plus their infamous ability to essentially do as they please, but there are many other conglomerations that will eventually figure out a way to follow Disney's lead. It's a very troubling sign.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Aw. I don't want to rely on multiple streaming services... Netflix had a broad enough content to keep me satisfied. I'm not sure how much Disney stuff I actually watch these days though; Marvel and Star Wars things I'd watch in the cinema anyways.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • People who produced content were at the mercy of distributors because they held the keys to people accessing their content. What changed things was when people started realizing the power of the Internet. First it was how News was delivered(hence why Newspapers have been dying in droves) and now its changing the TV landscape. When companies like Netflix broke into the scene and started making their own content while utilizing the Internet to give their users access through their smart TV or PC, it basically circumvented the traditional TV Media relationship and that is why Netflix is considered to be a powerhouse now.

What is happening is that companies with the means to do so(first CBS and now Disney(who owns ABC and other content providers such as Marvel studios)) are following Netflix's path by offering their own "service". In other words, the people who created the content are now getting into the business of distributing it themselves and in the manner that Netflix started. The people who have to adapt are distributors like Cable Companies who have to face increasing numbers of people cutting the TV/Cable cord in favor of Internet streaming. Fortunately for some Cable providers, they also do Internet but it means less revenue for them in the long run(thereby forever changing the balance of power in Media). The real question is whether Internet companies have the right to change how quickly data is transmitted depending on what site or service you're trying to access(aka Net Neutrality issue). If Disney buys out an Internet company or two, then they'll control not only the content but the means at which to distribute it(and perhaps restrict their competitors, which again brings up the whole Net Neutrality crap).

Also with them now hosting a service with their content, we shall see what effect that has on Netflix, Hulu and even Youtube where content is posted online for people to watch.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm curious to know if they'll be leaving the Marvel shows as they are.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    That's good news! Netflix has been treating those pretty well.

Years
    Reactions: Her

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • This is going to make it harder. Think about the people who don't have enough money to waste on multiple services. I can relate a lot to that. I think this is a horrible idea. The fact of the matter is that Disney already makes enough money as is, so why do they need to make more? D: Don't get me wrong... I'm a massive Disney freak right now... but it's going to be a hell of a lot harder for me to enjoy my favorite movies...

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Yeah really not a fan of this. People aren't going to want to subscribe to multiple streaming services - essentially regressing into how things were before.

Back