• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Two trans people elected to government office in the U.S.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Yesterday was election day in the USA, it was basically all local and state stuff iirc, the biggest thing up for grabs was governor in New Jersey and Virginia. One of the notable results of yesterday's election was that in Minneapolis and Virginia, an openly transgender person was voted into office.

History was made in Virginia on Tuesday when a 33-year-old woman became the state's first openly transgender elected official.

Roem, a journalist and metal-loving mom, beat out 26-year incumbent Robert G. Marshall, 73, for the House of Delegates seat that represents Prince William County.
    The nation?s transgender community, after a year of tremendous opposition from state legislatures and the president, is rejoicing Tuesday over the election of Andrea Jenkins, who gender advocates say has made history as the first openly transgender black woman elected to public office in the United States.

Jenkins, who has been elected to the Minneapolis City Council, became the second openly transgender candidate to win a race Tuesday night.
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-marshall-in-historic-virginia-race/23270498/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lic-office-in-the-u-s/?utm_term=.3014204b4c1d

idk, thought it'd be nice to post something nice in here we need moar threads anyway

Years
  • It pleases me that despite the very anti-LGBT push in US politics in recent months that something like this could still happen. It shows that whatever vitriol is coming out from the Whitehouse isn't an accurate representation of what everyone in the country wants for social progress.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    While the biggest prize of the White House wasn't up for grabs yesterday, it still felt like a bit of healing with all these positive results across the country. Virginia especially. Democrats rode a wave of awesome there.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • About time! I can honestly say that I've had enough of all this craziness already, but I feel things are gonna change soon.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • splendid! i'd heard of one but i didn't know there was a second. very happy to hear that things in america seem to be getting better, at least at the local and state levels =)

Back