• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you welcome a return to 2D graphics if it meant we got better performance?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    By better performance, I mean constant 60FPS and 1080p graphics on the Switch. No more lagging in double battles. Plus, it would likely mean the more colorful sprites return. Could animate them just like in the Unova games.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I've said this often enough and I will keep saying this: yes yes yes yes!

Nothing beats the charm of 2D Pokémon, really. Pokémon has always made best use of the 2D/2.5D and I think it's really where GameFreak's creativity has shined through. Especially seeing at how far Gen V got with 2D it's a shame they virtually dropped it altogether and went for 3D games. It's gonna take a while for them to master the art of 3D Pokémon games, and even then it will never get on the same level as the 2D games, in my opinion.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind it either way really. There are pros and cons to both methods, and I'd be buying the games no matter what. And on 3D, I think they'll eventually get the hang of it. Nintendo in general has a lot of success stories in this regard, namely with Metroid and Zelda.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • I will always prefer 2D Pokemon and would always welcome more 2D games, but I don't see it happening ever. Thank god for rom hacks and fan games!

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Absolutely not. I found B&W graphics horrendous, like an awkward attempt at high quality vs nostalgia. I don't use the 3D feature of the 3DS but I largely prefer Gen 6 and Gen 7's graphics. I feel more connected to the Pokémon, they don't look like a drawing anymore, they feel more alive, and they are much more pretty/badass

pkmin3033

Well, considering the 3D models are absolute garbage, I would more than welcome a return to 2D sprite models. The 3DS titles just feel washed out and flat, like second-rate plasticine bootlegs, and this is just visually, it has nothing to do with performance.

I expect/hope the 3D models will improve in the future. But the sprites of the 4th Gen era are, to me at least, the perfect representation for Pokemon, and even if we didn't see better performane for the games' running times etc, I would still welcome a return to a superior style of visuals.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Absolutely not. I found B&W graphics horrendous, like an awkward attempt at high quality vs nostalgia. I don't use the 3D feature of the 3DS but I largely prefer Gen 6 and Gen 7's graphics. I feel more connected to the Pokémon, they don't look like a drawing anymore, they feel more alive, and they are much more pretty/badass

They look more alive, but 2D sprites will always be better. They looked far more colourful and pretty, and showed off every detail even though being smaller than 3D models. 3D models were cool for all the console versions of Pokemon, because you could see them in their full splendour on your big screen tv, putting 3D models on the small 3DS wasn't a good idea. Only Pokemon Amie was good with them.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    They look more alive, but 2D sprites will always be better. They looked far more colourful and pretty, and showed off every detail even though being smaller than 3D models. 3D models were cool for all the console versions of Pokemon, because you could see them in their full splendour on your big screen tv, putting 3D models on the small 3DS wasn't a good idea. Only Pokemon Amie was good with them.

In my opinion, I don't think the colours were better, just annoyingly fluorescent. It's true that 3D models have slightly more faded colours, but I feel they fit the Pokémon better (for most at least). I can't see more details either, I just feel they are more pixelized. Even on smaller screens, which is really weird looking to me. The animations were also pretty awful compared to the new 3D models, like what the hell is wrong with Espeon's tail...the more I look at it the more I dislike it lol
    espeon.gif

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    In my opinion, I don't think the colours were better, just annoyingly fluorescent. It's true that 3D models have slightly more faded colours, but I feel they fit the Pokémon better (for most at least). I can't see more details either, I just feel they are more pixelized. Even on smaller screens, which is really weird looking to me. The animations were also pretty awful compared to the new 3D models, like what the hell is wrong with Espeon's tail...the more I look at it the more I dislike it lol
    espeon.gif

I am not talking about BW, I admit that the animation method they used is a bit odd, but otherwise sprites are better for me. About the details part.. when you were having a battle in lets say Platinum, you could pretty much clearly see all of the pokemon's details on the front sprite, the pixel artists did a good job tucking it in a small pixel sprite, in XY and ORAS on the other hand, I could barely see anything. The outlines were off, the details were somethimes scrambling as the model moved, the colors are indeed faded, and that's not a good thing considering everyone likes pokemon for their cuteness and colorfulness. And the model does not fit in the tiny screen of a 3DS, the 3DS xl does a slightly better job.

I'd probably like the 3D models if they didn't use them for a handheld game, they simply don't fit it to me.

Ida13

Gone For a While
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Not on the switch. I prefer the new animation, especially from sun and moon.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I would prefer a return to 2D graphics even if they somehow didn't improve the performance by doing that. 3D is cool but nothing has managed to top the 2D Pokémon games graphically as far as I'm concerned.

Guest123_x1

If sacrificing rendered 3D graphics and returning to 'flat' 2D gameplay (as had been the case from Generations I-V) means improved performance, then I'm all in for this. Sure, having a 3D overworld and battle screen is nice visually, but it's apparent that the main series games will likely never break away from the sloppy coding that makes the latest entries so sluggish.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    The Switch is more than powerful enough to handle some 3d animations smoothly lol.

As for me, I'm willing to put my nostalgia goggles aside and appreciate the progress Nintendo has made in the last few years. That may be because I've played much more of the 3d games than the 2d. In the end, this is really just a matter of preference. They'll never be able to please every crowd that's for sure.

Last edited:

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Well, considering the 3D models are absolute garbage, I would more than welcome a return to 2D sprite models. The 3DS titles just feel washed out and flat, like second-rate plasticine bootlegs, and this is just visually, it has nothing to do with performance.
    I haven't played the 3DS Games yet, so I can't really comment on the in-Game difference, but I have to agree on this. Some of the 3D models are very poorly done & visually very unappealing, some cute Pokemon (Marshtomp for e.g.) now look like zombies. Even the colours seem to be paler, compared to 2D models.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • It depends, if it was the 2D graphics of Gen Three/Four then I'd be all for it, but wouldn't feel the same about Gen Five's graphics. Tbh though, for me that would only apply to the handheld versions of Pokemon, on the Switch I'd like to see it in 3D.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    No thanks. I'm happy with the move to 3D now.

Besides I don't really see how the Switch won't be able to handle whatever 3D Pokemon wants to throw at it. Remember the Switch is definitely more powerful than the 3DS.

If anything the move to the Switch could mean the return of triple or hoard battles. (or something similarly demanding)

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    I doubt I'd like it ... I actually have trouble playing older games now because I'm so used to the 3D.
    Also, I'm actually hoping more for a "breath of the wild" pokémon for switch ... tho it might actually be the cause of my death if that ever came to be, cuz I doubt I'd ever stop playing that XD

Back