Posted 4 Weeks Ago
248 posts
7 Years
Junko "June" Enomoto
Saturday, October 3rd
Morning
Slateport City
”The battle between Benji and June may now begin!”

In a massive battlefield in a stadium approximately twice the size of a baseball field while a flood of people watch from the audience, roaring to their hearts’ content. June stands still, shaking uncontrollably with fear while a faceless man stands across from her.

“Um… E-Einstein and Chip, please help me out!” She tosses two Pokeballs, and Einstein comes out alongside a very timid Golisopod. She doesn’t remember Chip evolving, but it doesn’t matter, he’ll stand more of a chance now.

...at lease she thinks, until the faceless man who is apparently Benji sends out a Ho-Oh of all Pokemon. June gasps and panickedly orders Einstein and Chip to use Confusion and Aqua Jet respectively. Both Pokemon attack, but for some reason both attacks just come out as a puny String Shot that Ho-Oh merely laughs off.

“Ho-Oh, use Sacred Fire!” The faceless gym leaders yells in a foreign language June can understand perfectly for some reason.

Ho-Oh rears its head back, charging up an attack inside it’s throat, and then unhinges its beak so that it can unleash a scorching wave of flames that completely engulfs both of her Pokemon.

CHIP!!! EINSTEIN!!!” June screeches, horrified at the sight. The fate of her Pokemon turns out to be the least of her problems though, as the fire doesn’t stop there! It continues to move forward, quickly approaching her as well. She wants to run away, but her feet are glued to the ground- literally. She looks down to see honey had been splattered all around the ground she stands on, making it impossible to move. Terrified of what her fate will be, all she can do is close her eyes…

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!” June wails as her upper body flies forward, tightly gripping on her covers. She looks around her room in a cold sweat, the blurry details bringing her back to Earth.

“Just a dream… of course.” She sighs as she reaches for her glasses.

Needless to say, June has been nervous about her upcoming battle with Benji. After Mr. Yamaguchi shared some of his wisdom with her, she stopped by the Pokemon Center to heal up and trained at the nearby battlefields until almost midnight, honing her Pokemon’s skills and learning what their limits are. She was kind and lenient with her Pokemon, but she might have pushed herself a little too much, having stayed up way later than she’s used to and all. She couldn’t sleep very well that night either, worries of her gym battle kept her up- that certainly explains the dream.

Saturday morning is a little better at least. She spends that morning relaxing with a nice plate of omurice for breakfast, and that definitely helps. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all. She does notice halfway though that she needs to get to the gym in an hour, so she hurries through her meal and flies upstairs to shower and change into her usual green dress and flip-flops.

When she’s all ready for the day, she makes her way over to the gym where a lot of people are hanging out around. After the sound of glass doors sliding open, she’s almost immediately greeted by Jack Fukui.

“Hey there, it’s June!” Jack waves with a smirk. “Ready for your big battle today?”

“Oh, hello there!” June bows. “I suppose I’m just a tad nervous, but I’m certain I’ll be fine!”

“That’s the spirit!” The gym trainer gives a thumbs up. “I’ve been excited for this since you booked your time slot, I have no doubt Jun’s daughter will put on a worthwhile battle!”

“Ahhh, th-thanks…” She half-heartedly laughs. Jack isn’t doing a great job at easing the pressure she feels.

“No problem kid! I got so excited that I offered to ref for your battle- usually I have Saturdays off to spend with my husband, but how could I turn this opportunity down?”

“Umm, you’re too kind, really…”

“He’ll be watching too of course! We both told our friends there’ll be a promising battle today, they told their kids who in-turn told their friends… yeah, we got a full crowd today!”

“F-full crowd??” June trembles. That’s a lot of eyes on her, meaning there’ll be more people to see her if she messes…

“Yep, sure are! But anyways, battle will be starting soon, so we gotta be on the field! Good luck June!” He gives another thumbs up while flashing both a smirk and a wink before running through the battlefield entrance. June gulps nervously and follows suit, taking in the large crowd he was talking about. It might be nerve-wracking, but she can do this, she can do this…

”Welcome one and all to the Slateport City Gym! I’ll be your referee for the day, Jack Fukui!” Jack, who now hosts a headpiece mic on his face, riles up the crowd and gets them to applaud, in particular a lot of girls seem to squee when he introduces himself. ”In this corner, we have quite the challenger today, hailing from Goldenrod City in Johto with three badges, introducing- JUUNKO “JUNE” ENOMOTOOOO!!!” She slowly raises her hands so she can wave to the crowd. This isn’t making anything better…

[i]”And of course, facing June is none other than who you came here to see! You know him, you love him- give it up for the one and only, BENJAMIN “BENJI” INOUEEEE!!!” The audience gets especially pumped up for Benji, a tanned slightly stocky man shorter than her donning a blue work uniform, who waves to his adoring audience.

“Welcome to Slateport Gym, June! We both have nicknames derived from our first names- what a coincidence, huh? I like that!” Benji, hands on his hips, belts out a gutsy laugh.

“Aha, yeah…”

“We’ll be doing a 4v4 double battle. I’ll send my Pokemon out first and you can choose what you think is the best matchup, got it?”

June gives one unsteady nod. “Excellent! These’ll be my starting Pokemon!” Benji reaches for his shirt pocket to grab two Pokeballs, one in each hand. She recognizes both of them, one of them is a Seel and the other is a Sandslash except it’s… blue? It can’t be like that green Teddiursa or Big Blue, because this Sandslash’s claws and spikes along its back are shaped differently.

“Oh, you’ve never seen an Alolan Sandslash before? Not many beginner trainers here have.” Benji speaks up. “Instead of being a ground-type like the ones found in Ransei, Sandslash from Alola are ice and steel-type because of their habitats. Neat, huh?”

Why is it called Sandslash then? After some deep breaths, June starts with Einstein and Chip.

”LET THE BATTLE BEGIIIIIIN!!!!”

Right as the battle is declared, Einstein projects a Reflect barrier, Sandslash moves its claws to an inaudible beat, and Seel claps its hands to call on a sudden hailstorm that bothers both June’s Pokemon. Chip is the only one to attack, using Aqua Jet to target Sandslash in the belly while a portion of Reflect breaks off to protect him while he moves about. Sandslash nearly retaliates, about to strike with Fury Swipes, but Ally Switch has Einstein swap places with Chip, and a psychic blast fans outwards from a point-blank range on both Pokemon. Ally Switch activates again, and Chip kicks up sand at both Pokemon. Sandslash and Seel are only slightly irritated from it, and Seel’s now iron-coated horn is jabbed into Chip while Fury Swipes slashes him across the back multiple times. After the third strike, Chip frantically high-tails it back to his Pokeball and opens another Pokeball in the process, and Heracross is sent out.

”And June’s next Pokemon is Heracross!! She’s got the type-advantage here, smart move, but will that be enough to best Leader Benji!?

Einstein uses Supersonic on Seel, but not before it can surround itself in a ring of purifying water. Trying to dodge the hail, Einstein floats about, rapid-firing Struggle Bug at the opposing Pokemon.

Meanwhile, Heracross focuses on Sandslash, throwing forward a thrust of his palm, but Sandslash reacts by swiping it away with its claw. Heracross grunts, annoyed by that, and tries again only for the same thing to happen. Sandslash then arches forward a claw that’s now covered in a sharp icicle, but Heracross smacks that away with an Arm Thrust. The two engage in this exchange of attacks, each blow coming out faster than the last, yet no matter how quick it may be they’re still countered. No matter how much his cries of fury suggest otherwise, Hercaross can’t keep up, so Sandslash’s bolstered speed and strength beats out Heracross, who was already being worn-down from the constant hail.

“Gotta be weary of weather effects!” Benji speaks up in a cheery manner right as Sandslash goes in to land a clean-hit, but using Counter, Heracross extends his arm over Sandslash’s claw to hit ‘em straight in the face- but that’s blocked with a Protect. While that happens, Seel fans its tail forward and exhales a freezing cold blizzard that also blows forth the chunks of ice falling from above, and both June’s Pokemon are buffered. Einstein uses Light Screen to weaken the attack, but that doesn’t prepare them for what’s next- Sandslash spins around, increasing his speed by the second, and using the gain momentum to maneuver around the field. While the amplified Blizzard makes it difficult to see clearly, Sandslash takes advantage of that by mowing over Heracross when he can’t accurately predict an incoming attack. It’s not different at all from Merry’s Miltank, but the weather makes it all the more effective. Just like with that battle, Heracross tries to grab Sandslash and push him back, but its moving too fast to get a proper hold of him and instead he ends up grazing his hands against the pointy spikes. The continuous ice-type attack is troublesome for Einstein as well, and even though he doesn’t have to deal with Sandslash, the storm makes it hard to so much as stay afloat.

Seeing as how most of the trouble I’ve received has been grounded perhaps its time to test out that new move in battle… “Heracross, Bulldoze!” In the midst of the storm and the occasional Rapid Spin hits, Heracross jumps as high into the air as his legs allow him in such condition, and comes crashing down, his weight creating quakes in the ground. This causes both opposing Pokemon to lose their footing and forcibly stop attacking, which in-turn causes the storm to subside.

Heracross seizes the opportunity, flying forward and swinging his horn in a downward arc to slam it into Sandslash, burying his feet into the ground. He gloats to the roaring audience, extending both arms outwards and points to himself, and doesn’t notice Seel flying forward horn-first. Einstein takes care of it though, using Confusion to fling Seel backwards. Snoring is heard from the Sea Lion Pokemon, but for some reason Jack doesn’t declare him unfit to battle.

“Heracross, now isn’t the time to boast!” June pleads. Heracross turns back to Sandslash, who Rapid Spins in an attempt to free itself, kicking up chunks of dirt in all directions that pelt Heracross. Doing whatever he can to keep Sandslash trapped, he jumps up and down again to create cracks in the ground, and Einstein even helps out now that Seel isn’t an issue, using Confusion to put weight on the ice-type.

Turns out June was wrong about Seel though, as out of nowhere, it flings itself forward to jab its steel-coated horn in the area above Einstein’s face which releases Sandslash from his grip. Most shockingly though, is how Seel appears to be completely unconscious while doing this! June is completely taken aback, looking to the Pokedex for answers- ...Rest and Sleeptalk, I see. So that’s why Mr. Fukui didn’t say anything! Einstein is able to rid himself of Seel though by once again using Confusion to toss him away. Einstein’s little scuffle almost distracts Heracross until weak drilling is heard from behind him. That’s when Heracross sees Sandslash using the last of his strength to escape, but Heracross puts a stop to it by thrusting forth a barrage of Arm Thrusts, knocking Sandslash out cold.

”Sandslash is unable to battle!” Jack announces. ”But what else does Leader Benji have up his sleeve?”

As Heracross confidently flexes with his boosted strength flowing through him, Benji grins and shouts “Way to go June! Now let’s take that up a notch!” before tossing out his next Pokemon, and one that completely takes June out of her battling mindset.

“Oh my gosh- a Pineco!” June fawns, eyes sparkling as her hands are clasped together.

“I thought you might like that, seeing as how so far all your Pokemon have been bug-types. Of course, that’s not why I called Pineco out- this is!” While Seel creates another hailstorm, Pineco starts to spin in-place much like Sandslash, but rather than building up speed, rocks are flung outwards and scatter all across the field. Once that’s over with, another Blizzard comes from Seel, obscuring the vision of June’s side. Pineco rams its body into Heracross, and while that deals less damage than Sandslash did, Pineco is able to follow-up in quicker succession, not leaving much time for Heracross to strike back. June, curious as to why, tries her best to see through the weather until she can find an answer (even if it means defogging her glasses a few times): Pineco is using the rocks it set-up as bumpers to get out more hits! It doesn’t stop with that though, because soon enough Pineco uses a rock as a ramp, and gains enough air to smash its entire body into Einstein! Despite Orbeetle being quite the defensive Pokemon, the attack is enough to send him straight into the ground.

“Einstein!! Are you alright!?” There’s a bit of struggling from Einstein, but ultimately he can get himself back in the air to nod towards June. It might have been the hail that’s worn Einstein down… he wasn’t fond of the rain at all, so it’s only natural he’d dislike hail. I’ll have to keep this in-mind next time. “Thank you for helping Einstein, but it’s about time you get a little rest. Return!” She beams the psychic-type back to his ball before signaling to Jack that he won’t be able to battle.

”Well I’ll be- looks like Orbeetle is throwing in the towel! Fortunately for her, June still has two more Pokemon left! Will we see her Wimpod a second time or is it time we find out what her fourth Pokemon is?”

Hmm, I can’t imagine Sting will appreciate the hail very much, and Chip should be a little more well-rested before sending him out again. That just leaves… “Kit, I choose you!”

Seel creates another Aqua Ring and as always whenever she’s sent out, Kit uses Water Sport to create puddles of water around her to skate around the field. Whenever Pineco comes hurtling forward, Kit gracefully leaps over it, and when Pineco uses a rock to spin upwards and crush her from above, she slides out of the way, eventually getting into a rhythm. Soon Pineco starts to get frustrated and begins pursuing her, but Kit capitalizes on this by leading it to Heracross where Mega Horn bats it away like a baseball player getting a homerun.

It looks like June has the advantage until another Blizzard comes out and completely freezes over the shallow pond. This worries June, especially when Pineco comes twirling forward to smash into Kit, causing her to skid back, and the frozen pond has her sliding back further than she would otherwise. Hold on a second! “Kit, skate around on the ice while using Bubble Beam!”

Kit does just that, using the frictionless ice to become nimble while shooting more and more bubbles towards Pineco before Heracross uses Bulldoze again. The quakes this time around are a lot more harsh though, making it especially hard for Pineco and Seel to really do anything. Even though Kit is able to avoid it by leaping midair, cracks form in the ice and June takes note of that, opting to call off the attack, much to Heracross’ displeasure. But once Bulldoze is called off, another Blizzard is blown forth. I often forget Seel is a threat until Blizzard is used, but I’m starting to suspect that might be Benji’s strategy, where he has a speedy Pokemon act as a distraction. In that case, I’ll have to do something as soon as possible.

Pineco shoots Pin Missiles from its spike like a fountain, making Kit busier evading the attack than actually using attacks of her own, and Heracross Aerial Aces straight toward Seel. Seel, who looks to finally be awake, intercepts the attack with Smart Strike, but Heracross intercepts that with Counter and follows up with four hits of Arm Thrust to finish the job.

”Seel is unable to battle! It’s now 3v2, but looks like Heracross is on his last limb! Can June keep up the pace, or will Leader Benji blow her out of the water?

Jack is right- although doesn’t acknowledge it with all the celebratory flexing he does, Heracross is covered in dirt and bruises, and he struggles just to stand upright- Mr. Yamaguchi’s advice comes to mind. Like with Einstein, it might be a good idea to have him rest.

“Heracross, return.” June shoots the beam of Heracross’ Pokeball at him, but she’s shocked to see him completely sidestep the laser. “Wh-what!? Heracross-”

“A defiant Pokemon, huh? That might make this next round tricky.” Benji remarks. “But I’m sure you’ll give it your best! Speaking of- seems the theme of this battle has been spinning and weather. Why don’t we combine them?” He hurls a Pokeball forward, revealing his final Pokemon: A Trash Coat Wormadam. A little underwhelming as a final pick, but not to June

“Wow, you don’t often see that variant!” June beams. “It makes sense why they aren’t as common as the other two, afterall Burmy are mostly found in grassy areas. Of course though as cities expand in recent times, they’ve become easier to find, but it’s still not as-”

“Woah, you sure know a lot about bugs!” Benji chuckles. “That’s great! But rather than telling me what they’re like, how about I show you what these two bugs can do together? Wormadam, use Magnet Rise!”

Through some means, Wormadam is able to levitate into the air, high enough that Bulldoze isn’t at all an issue for her. Pineco then makes its way to its partner Pokemon, using Rapid Spin to stand right below her. Both Pokemon start to spin, but in opposite directions, and a gust of sand is kicked up and seems to have the same effect as the earlier hail. It's not an issue for either of Benji’s Pokemon of course, quite the opposite in-fact. Pineco spins in a particular fashion so as to suck up the sand and remaining chunks of hail, creating a hurricane that surrounds both Pokemon. As if that wasn’t intimidating enough, the tornado of sand and ice begins to move around the field, Pineco acting as its legs, and Wormadam going on the offensive as she continuously shoots Flash Cannon as she continues to spin! Resorting to her usual strategies, Kit skates around with Agility and shoots bubbles, doing her absolute best to not get hit.

Heracross has a different idea though. June is a little overwhelmed by the hurricane, and calculates some kind of solution in her head, so he acts on his own. He leaps up high into the air to come down with a heavy thud that creates intense tremors throughout the ground, debris being mercilessly thrown around the field. While it does make Pineco’s spinning less stable, it serves as an obstacle for Kit as well when she already needs to worry about her opponents. Desperately she tries to stay airborne as much as possible while simultaneously moving around Flash Cannon, dreading every instance she has to land so she can gain air again. Even professional ice skaters screw up sometimes though, and Kit accidentally jumps right into the trajectory of the steel-type attack, sending her hurtling towards the ground.

Heracross shows no signs of stopping though, despite June’s pleading, and the ground continues to shake violently. Kit hangs in there as much as possible while the ground rocks uncontrollably beneath her, but Pineco has adjusted to that by this point, and even if its movements are a little wobbly, soldiers on. Wormadam launches an Electroweb towards Kit, but her unsteady aim has her miss, instead falling right onto Heracross. He furiously struggles within the cramped web, frustrated he’s unable to jump up and down, and the web reacts by giving him a weak shock. Despite how little damage it is though, it does Heracross in- he definitely pushed past his limit. June sighs in relief as Jack declares he’s unfit to battle, and is returned to his Pokeball.

Luckily for Kit, her own partner isn’t a problem anymore, but that still leaves the frequent Electrowebs which are now aimed at her that she goes out of her way to evade the super effective attacks, skiing right past every web and leaping over every Stealth Rock, circling the tornado and getting into a rhythm again. However, this brings about something June didn’t expect at all-

Kit starts to glow white.

”Wow, what an incredible turn of events from Surskit!” Jack comments. ”Looks like June might just gain the upper-hand again!”

Even though her entire body is flashing white, she’s not changing shape at all and continues to skate around with Agility, not even bothering to avoid any Electrowebs her way, as the white light seems to almost absorb it. June was initially excited by the sight, but seeing it go on for longer than it should has her confused. She’d really like for Kit to evolve, but recalling the last time this happened, she forms an idea that could save her skin.

”June’s next Pokemon is the same Wimpod we saw at the beginning of the battle! But nevermind that, Surskit still hasn’t evolved somehow! What could be going on here!?”

“Kit, hold back as much as you can and use Agility! Chip, use Aqua Jet!” Kit continues to circle the tornado, getting faster by the second, all the while Aqua Jet allows Chip to ride along the air current. Unsure of how to deal with Chip, Pineco shoots pin missiles that get stuck in the current fly upwards, either pelting the pesky Wimpod or coming out from the top and giving Kit more projectiles to dodge. Once Wormadam shows signs of exhaustion, June decides to strike.

“Kit, use Bubble Beam! Chip, aim for Wormadam!”

In the same way Kit rejected evolution at the Pokemon contest, the glowing energy that surrounds her body is expunged into bubbles that flow effortlessly from her antenna. Unlike her regular bubbles though, these are much faster, more abundant in numbers, and much more powerful as witnessed by the impact they have upon popping against both Pokemon, where they burst into nearly blinding sparks of light against the two. As soon as the light wears off, Chip builds up momentum all the way from the bottom of the vortex and slams right into Wormadam with all his might, taking her down and causing her to collapse right onto Pineco, as well as all the ice and sand that was sucked in the tornado.

”It looks like both Wormadam and Pineco are unable to battle! That means the winner of this battle is Junko ‘June’ Enomoto! Give her a nice round of applause, why don’t ya?”

“That was fantastic!” June claps her hands together. Maybe that could have gone smoother, especially with Heracross acting up for a bit, but she’s too caught up in the moment to take that into account. “Thank you both so much, Chip and Kit!” Chip seems more relieved than ecstatic, but Kit praising him with a few happy squeaks gets his spirits raised, even if just slightly

“I agree, that was fantastic!” Benji claps, walking up to the tall girl. “And that’s why I wanna give you this!” He holds his hand open and reveals a shiny new badge atop a stack of 10,000 Pokedollars. “Here- the Cloak Badge as proof of your victory!”

“Ah, thank you!”

“What I’d tell ya Benji?” Jack smirks, removing his earpiece. “She’s a promising trainer! That Heracross of yours though, he’s a real Joe!”

“...He’s a what now?”

“Oh, my bad. That’s just what your dad would call anyone with that much vigor. Musta dropped it from his vocabulary I guess.” That’s a bit of an odd thing to call someone, but it fits Heracross. Honestly he’s gone without a nickname for too long. “The rest of your team was pretty fun to watch as well, of course! I’m impressed your Surskit ended up not evolving yet you still came out on-top!”

“This isn’t the first time that’s happened funnily enough. Admittedly though the first time I couldn’t help but feel a tad let down by her not evolving, but… if she feels that’s best for her, I’ll accept.”

“That’s a good attitude to have!” Benji gives a thumbs up. “That’s what’ll get you to the league in no time!”

“...if that’s the route you wanna go though, I’d suggest swinging by the Pokemon Fanclub to sign up for a membership. They’ll give you a free item that’ll be beneficial to unevolved Pokemon.” Jack butts in before flashing a sly look at Benji. “Man, you need to step up your advice game.” Throarty giggles can be heard through his teeth.

“It’s just not my style. Besides, I’d put you out of a job if I did!” He laughs before facing June. “Anyways, unless you had anything else you needed, it was nice meeting you June!”

“Same goes for both you and Mr. Fukui! But yes, I will be on my way now- farewell!”

Benji and Jack wave to June as she walks out the door, with Jack giving an additional "Don't forget: Tell Jun that Ol' Frosty says hello!"

🐞 June's Party 🐞

Spoiler:
  • Einstein (Orbeetle) M|Telepathy
    Struggle Bug|Super Sonic|Confusion|Light Screen|Reflect|Ally Switch
  • Chip (Wimpod) M|Wimp Out
    Struggle Bug|Sand Attack|Defense Curl|Aqua Jet
  • Sting (Beautifly) M|Swarm
    Attract|Silver Wind|Poison Sting|Bug Bite|Electroweb|Air Cutter
  • Kit (Surskit) F|Swift Swim
    Bubble|Quick Attack|Sweet Scent|Water Sport|Bubble Beam|Agility
  • Joe (Heracross) M|Moxie
    Arm Thrust|Counter|Endure|Horn Attack|Aerial Ace|Bulldoze

Spoiler:
  • Merits
  • Knuckle Badge
  • Balance Badge
  • Dell Badge
  • Cloak Badge
  • D-Rank Ribbon x1
    Bag
  • Contest Pass
  • TM Ally Switch
  • TM Bulldoze
  • Green Scarf
  • Absorb Bulb x3
  • Bug Gem x3
  • Net Ball x11
  • Premier Ball x1

Cubeth

Age 22
They / Them
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
2,428 posts
3.1 Years
Jordie "Jo" Hughes
Thursday, September 24
Chapter 3: Part 7 - We keep moving
10:00 - 10:20 Route 104
I went back to Route 104 in the morning to train the last two pokémon I caught. There's no way I'm using them in tomorrow's battle now that I have the option of using better trained pokémon, and I doubt Wally will make me use all six pokémon I have -it hasn’t happened with either gym I’ve challenged so far, and since I have only two badges, it's not very likely-, so I’m taking my time to properly train them while I have time.

Since I'm not taking Maroon and Gabby outside their dusk balls today, I'm not training Dewey and Quinn on getting adapted to Trick Room or trying to break Maroon's defenses. Of course, that will be top priority after Wally's Gym.

Using the scan feature, I manage to find a small area of trees on the way to Petalburg, good enough for a training spot with weak wild pokémon such as Wurmple, Slakoth and Teddiursa, which are easy enough for both of them to take on. And most importantly, they are slow, making it possible for Quinn to do something.

Dewey shoots a Spider Web at a shiny Teddiursa I found, and while it's restrained and busy trying to take it off, Quinn Yawns at it, making it fall asleep on the spot. Right now, this is the best strat I've gotten so far for these two. It will definitely be more useful once both pokémon are under the effects of Trick Room.

It is at that moment, though, that what I was fearing would happen today, happens: Another call from Unova. It's not as bad as I thought it would be though, since it's not family who's calling this time.

Andrea it says on the screen. She’s a friend of mine, she used to study with me at Trainer's School and should be working at the Battle Subway's Care Center now, or at least she applied to that when we graduated. Considering what I did yesterday, am I to assume she was accepted and this is probably about baby Boo? I don't know. But the fact that such a chance exists is enough to make me nervous about it.

I hesitate a bit, holding my stylus on the call button, thinking if I should swipe down and ignore or swipe up and answer. I'd rather not talk to anyone from Unova, but this is also something I got myself into after forgetting Dewey was my sixth pokémon. And regardless, Andrea isn't family and is the same age as I am, she might be more understanding about this. If I'm going to communicate with someone from Unova, it'd rather be with her first.

I swipe up.

“... Hi?”

“Jo! Ohmygosh, it’s actually you!” Andrea cheers, but she grimaces soonly after, after seemingly being yelled at from the background. “Muk, sorry about that. We should talk more quietly. How are you? How's Hoenn?”

“It's... hot.”

She laughs. “Well, right, it's… Hoenn. Is that why you are so red?”

“Wha-!?” I look away from the camera after that. Am I really? Well, I definitely am now. Embarrassing.

“Sorry! I was joking!” She laughs again, and looks at me with a smile. “You know why I'm calling, right?”

“My Clobbopus?”

“Yeah, Boo or something. Just wanted to tell you he's in good hands. Your brother said he will take care of him.”

“Alright.” I can say I'm relieved over the fact that he's taking care of baby Boo. My brother is a capable trainer when it comes to difficult pokémon. Why isn't he the one talking to me then? It seems like my answer didn't satisfy Andrea, either, since she's stopped smiling now.

“... You know? Everyone's been mad worried about you since you left.”

And here it goes. I try to keep my cool, but I don't think I can hide how uncomfortable I'm feeling with this topic. I can't even look directly at the screen. “They don't have to, I'm fine.”

She snickers. “Yeah, we can't know that if you don't tell us anything, you know?,” she says.

All the reasons I have to avoid communication with Unova and all the possible answers I could've given to her, I decide to keep to myself. To be honest, the main reason I did this was because I was afraid my parents would come to Hoenn to drag me back home, but…

“People aren't even mad about the fact that you left home leaving only a note behind, they are just worried,” she says.

It is, in part, relieving, knowing I took them to rethink about my decision. But still, something about this thought doesn't allow me to feel entirely happy, in fact it makes me feel uneasy. Guilty conscience? Maybe. Whatever it is, I don't like it.

“Did anything happen before you left? There must be a reason why you don’t want to talk to anyone from Unova, right?”

Right, she doesn’t know about the fight I had with my parents about coming here, I didn’t tell anyone about my plan to escape, either. “It has nothing to do with you. I believe I had good reasons, though, y’see? ”

She lowers her head and sighs. I can tell she definitely didn't want an answer like that and is clearly disappointed, but there's nothing I can do for her. She doesn't have to know, I don't need her opinion on this.

“... I wonder about that,” she says, or at least it seems like it, she said it in a low voice and I was unable to fully understand her words. “... I gotta go now. I just wanted to let you know your pokémon was in good hands.”

“... Sure. Thanks.”

“It’s not me who you should be thanking.”

I glare at her after that. I don't think she meant to sound rude with that line, but I can't help but feel about it like a punch on the face. She's not wrong, the person I should be thanking for that is my brother, who I still don't want to talk to.

“I meant thanks for calling, y'know?”

“I really don't understand you... how you don't seem to care at all... How do you do it?” She clearly doesn't expect an answer to that question. I wasn't going to give it to her either. She gives me a docile smile, but her eyes have a different feeling on them. Disappointment, sadness, the list can keep going. “I’m glad you are fine, Jo,” she says and immediately closes the call, leaving me only with the gut feeling that these two years of friendship have all gone to the trashcan and it is all my fault, somehow.

What would be different now had I not answered that call? Or any of the previous ones? Seems like all paths take to inevitably ruined relationships. All of that for doing what I thought was the best for me?

Before thinking too deep into that question I look at the three pokémon in front of me and try to shake these thoughts out of my head. There’s no contest here, this scene is enough to tell me what to do. Tomorrow I'll aim to beat not Gym Leader, but Hall of Fame Wally and getting my third badge. I will become the strongest trainer, and right now, this goal is the most important to me. We keep moving.
Jordie's Party:

Battle Subway:

Inventory:
Spoiler:
- 23 Dusk Balls
- X-transceiver
- ₽0
- Eviolite
- Aggronite
- Keystone
- Coaching TM

Jo's portrait made with: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1140610/
Discord Moderoid · VPP Thread · Paired to PB
Female
My place
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
248 posts
7 Years
Junko "June" Enomoto
Saturday, October 3rd
Noon
Route 103
”Joe?? Ah jeez, that really takes me back… yeah, it was something I used to call people who had a certain attitude to ‘em. Y’know, like Joe Yabuki.” June’s dad explains.

After picking up a Fanclub membership and Eviolite and nabbing some lunch, June immediately set-out for Route 110 to trek to Hoenn’s biggest city, Mauville. While on the road, she thought it a good idea to give her parents a call to update them on what’s happened, as well as ask the origin of the whole “Joe” thing. “I-I’m sorry, who now?”

“Y’know, the main guy from Amuka no Joe! The boxing show!”

”Dear, I don’t think she knows what that is. It’s way ahead of her time!” June’s mom butts in.

”Oh come on, it’s ahead of my time too but I’ve seen it like a bajillion times!” He groans. ”Ah whatever. How do you even know about my old ‘Joe’ thing anyways?”

“Oh, I met a man from the Slateport gym who claimed he used to know you. That reminds me- he told me to tell you that ‘Old Frosty’ says hello, whatever that means.”

”Ol’ Frosty!?!? Don’t tell me, you mean…”

”Ah dear Arceus…” June’s mom sighs from the other end. ”That’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile.”

“W-wait, did I say something wrong!?”

”Jack Frost!!!” Her dad growls through his teeth. ”That asshole!!! I’ll never forget how much he screwed me over!”

”It’s just a bit of a sore spot for him Junko, that’s all."

“Jack Frost? You mean Jack Fukui? He told me you were friends when you were younger?” For someone who was once allegedly friends with her dad, this man sure seemed to leave a bitter taste in his mouth.

”Friends my ass! We were rivals if anything! And boy, did we have a burning rivalry! Time after time, he’d always steamroll me in battle DESPITE how I had the type-advantage. He’d always do this stupid goddamn thing where he swished his stupid long hair which always made the stupid legion of fangirls he had swoon, although they did that for every stupid psyducking word that came out of his mouth! Whenever he’d beat me he’d give me the most condescending glare while making some snarky-ass comment! Worst of all is that to pour salt in the wound he’d always unleash the most loud and obnoxious ear-splitting laugh that still haunts me to this day…” He shudders.

“Well, it’s not the most pleasant sound in the world…”

”What still confuses me about him though- he had all these obsessive fangirls, right? That’s normal for pretty boys like he was, but he didn’t date a single one of them! You’d think a guy like him would be drowning in-”

”Jun!” Her mom cuts off. ”Not around our child, please!”

“Well, he briefly mentioned having a husband so… maybe that has something to do with it?”

”Oh. Huh. There’s that answer I guess. A little anticlimactic for a question I’ve had for so long, but it makes sense.”

[i]”...He literally asked you out after the Pokemon League in like, 2006. Did you not know?”

”Ehh!?!? He did?! What the hell, how come I don’t remember that?! I mean, not like I’d have gone out with a dipmuk like him anyways!” He scoffs. ”Psyduck that guy!”

”Hey, sooooo speaking of going out with people,” June’s mom changes the subject, trying to get her husband's mind off of the current topic, ”How have things been going with that Avril girl? Is she with you right now?”

“I’m afraid not." June shakes her head. "She had to part ways to deal with an important situation. As for how our everything else has been, well, it’s… a tad complicated.”

”Is she treating you poorly? Cuz if she is, I’d like to have a few words with her!”

“Nono, it’s nothing like that! It’s just, well, I think I was in over my head… I still do like her, it’s just, it’s harder than I thought. I really don’t want to break it off, but I’m starting to suspect Marie had a point.”

”Hm, sounds like things could be going better. Have you talked with her about it?”

“I, um, no but-”

”There’s your problem!” Her dad butts in. ”How’s she gon’ know if ya don’t ever tell ‘er?”

“You’re probably correct, it’s just, she’s quite, um, well not to be rude, but some might describe her as ‘sensitive’ so to speak, and, um, you see, I'd really hate to upset her.”

”Then that’s her own damn problem!” Her dad roars. ”If ya ain’t gonna communicate, what’s th’ point of bein’ with her!? You’re doin’ all this work just to please her but what’s she doin’ for ya, eh!?”

”Ooo, been awhile since the Hoenn-ben came out!”

“I- I really can’t argue with that, can I? In-fact I initially was going to tell her why I think it’d be a bad idea, but I just…” Her face flashes red as she tries to explain. “She’s just really kind and cute, and… Oh, I just couldn't bring myself to do it! We both wanted the same thing, how could I have turned her down?"

”Well I don’t think this is a black and white thing- surely compromises can be made! Relationships couldn’t function without them after all, and that’s why I mentioned talking to her about it. Tell her what’s bothering you and surely you can find a solution that works for both of you.”

“It seems as though that’d be the best course of action, yes. I think that’ll be all the advice I need for now… Um, thank you.” As if June would even have the backbone to bring that up to Avril… Honestly this doesn’t sound like anything she doesn’t already know, and it seems like the only advice she can get at this point is obvious.

”All the advice you’ll need? You sure about that?”

“Um… not really to be honest, I just… I’m not sure I want to talk about it, that's all.”

“Ah, that’s fair. If you ever change your mind though, I'll always be here to help. Otherwise, all I can really say is good luck with her- and with your journey as well. Keep winning those badges!”

”Junko, I’m proud of you, y’know?” Her dad says. ”Four badges already, on your way get your fifth… They grow up so fast. I almost don’t believe it, I never thought you’d be the battling type, but I guess that’s just the Enomoto blood running through your veins! Go get em Junko!”

June exchanges goodbyes with her parents before hanging up. Something her dad said sticks out to her, his usual parental spiel about how kids grow up too fast, but he might have a point here. In just a matter of two weeks, June has gone from knowing virtually nothing about Pokemon battles to having earned four badges- compare that to Avril, who is two years older than her but has only seemed to regress in terms of battling. It's not that she got into her current situation without being aware of that, but with how much progress she's been making it's only becoming more apparent that she's going to have to put in more work than she's ready for.

She's glad she has an excuse to put off bringing this up to Avril, with the two traveling separately for a few days and all. But she can't leave it on the back-burner forever- Eventually they will have to have this conversation. But how will Avril react? Knowing her, there's a good chance she might just start crying- and is that something June can handle witnessing? Seeing the girl she cares about bawling her eyes out after having her biggest insecurities confirmed by her beloved June of all people? That wouldn't lead to any outcomes she wants- How would June feel bearing the label of a heartbreaker? Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Gosh, Marie really was right, wasn’t she?

🐞 June's Party 🐞

Spoiler:
  • Einstein (Orbeetle) M|Telepathy
    Struggle Bug|Super Sonic|Confusion|Light Screen|Reflect|Ally Switch
  • Chip (Wimpod) M|Wimp Out
    Struggle Bug|Sand Attack|Defense Curl|Aqua Jet
  • Sting (Beautifly) M|Swarm
    Attract|Silver Wind|Poison Sting|Bug Bite|Electroweb|Air Cutter
  • Kit (Surskit) F|Swift Swim
    Bubble|Quick Attack|Sweet Scent|Water Sport|Bubble Beam|Agility
  • Joe (Heracross) M|Moxie
    Arm Thrust|Counter|Endure|Horn Attack|Aerial Ace|Bulldoze

Spoiler:
  • Merits
  • Knuckle Badge
  • Balance Badge
  • Dell Badge
  • Cloak Badge
  • D-Rank Ribbon x1
    Bag
  • Contest Pass
  • TM Ally Switch
  • TM Bulldoze
  • Green Scarf
  • Absorb Bulb x3
  • Eviolite
  • Bug Gem x3
  • Net Ball x11
  • Premier Ball x1

Eleanor

Would you like some tea? I'll brew you some...

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Seen 25 Minutes Ago
Posted 34 Minutes Ago
4,299 posts
5.5 Years

Avril Reese

16 - ♀ - Laverre City

Featuring Hikaru

Pokémon / Inventory:

AVRIL'S MONEY: $38 500
- $ 4 000 to Hikaru (Dewford Berry Search shared reward)
- $ 1 500 (Rydel Rental Bike + Use outside of bridge daily fee)

AVRIL'S TEAM:
🌼 Poppy (Flabébé) ♀
Flower Veil
Synthesis, Fairy Wind, Grassy Terrain, Aromatherapy, Wish, Magical Leaf

🌼 Hydrangea (Shellos) ♀
Storm Drain
Water Pulse, Mud Bomb, Recover, Rain Dance, Mud Sport, Hidden Power (?)

🌼 Wisteria (Inkay) ♂
Infiltrator
Night Slash, Hypnosis, Topsy-Turvy, Pluck, Reflect, Psybeam

🌼 Thistle (Wooloo) ♀
Bulletproof
Tackle, Growl, Defense Curl, Copycat, Guard Split, Double Kick

Away:
🌼 Venus (Mawile) ♀ - at Littleroot Research Lab

AVRIL'S INVENTORY:
🌼 1 Empty Pokéball
🌼 2 Potions
🌼 Eviolite
🌼 Silk Scarf
🌼 TM for Ally Switch
🌼 5 Rare berries
🌼 Sea Incense

🌼 Holotch (phone version)
🌼 Fanclub Membership card - valid until October 17th
🌼 Various clothes and commodities
🌼 Pink Woolen Hat

AVRIL'S CONTACTS:
Jordie, Shuna, Natsuko, June, Marcella, Hikaru

AVRIL'S BADGES AND RIBBONS:
🥊

🎀• 1

🌼 Character art made with https://picrew.me/image_maker/338886
Death Magnetic
Friday, October 2nd - late evening - Trick House
They did it again. They didn’t change a single bit. They dragged me through hell once again.

Hell in this case is some kind of huge circular room with dull grey walls, inside of which are standing a sleeping behemoth that might go crazy if you get too close, and a blue haired buffoon that seems interested in doing just that. They wanted to come here because they heard about a very special reward, and gave me no chance to split up from them.

We were in the middle of the process of renting bikes for our Mauport Bridge journey when they eavesdropped on another trainer, who was talking about this “Trick House” thing down towards Route 103. They immediately asked if they could go there with the bikes we just got and guess what, that cost us a fee. We added that to the original price of rental anyways, we biked through the path I walked on with June by my side, and we got to our destination when the Sun was already well into the setting phase.

I have to weigh my choices very carefully by now. When to complain, when to shut up. I said, let’s give them a chance. That’s what has led me here.

I angrily shake my Holotch in my hand, but to no avail, because the magnetic field inside the room blocks out all of its features. No calls, no internet, right when I could’ve used some comforting words from, I don’t know… June. In the meantime, Hikaru is growing more impatient, pushing some random buttons on the ground more and more often.

At first, I was interested to see how this would work. The notes that were left by whoever invented this place were at least engaging and provided some information. I could see the button sending some kind of electric impulse to a little Pokémon above it, a Klink, who would in turn spin faster than usual and disperse some of that energy around the room.

So what?

The more time passed, the more bored I became. I didn’t care about that task or those rewards, I just wanted to get out of there, enjoy some dinner, and sleep. The fact that prima donna over there didn’t rent any tent only made things worse: you can’t tell me we’re going to sleep on Mauport Bridge and have an easy journey, and then change your plans on a whim! And where do you think you’re going anyways, you said it yourself you weren’t fully healed.

It’s past 8 pm now. Why am I still afraid of going up to them and saying, “surrender”?

Hikaru thought this was going to be easy and didn’t give me any instructions on what Pokémon to get. In fact, I think we both chose somewhat randomly, with me going for Angie and them picking their Treecko. Both of them are staring at either me or the blue haired trainer without understanding what’s happening.

When Hikaru presses a button for too long, a jolt of electricity seems to reach one of “Klinklang”’s spikes. Klinklang being the large, gear-like Pokémon in the middle, who much like Hikaru’s Staryu, doesn’t even have a face we can look at to tell how angry it is.

It doesn’t react. Apparently, we need it to, in order to have it move the Klinks on the wall, but we can’t use too much energy or attack it with other moves, or it will get mad. And actually… the same will happen to Klink! We can’t let any of them get energized for too long, or they will also get mad.

Well, needless to say but… I don’t want those Pokémon to get mad. I’m not in the mood for fights. Hikaru doesn’t want that either, but that’s mostly because they were told that if no Pokémon gets mad, rewards are way, way better than otherwise.

I skim through the notes again and again, hoping there’s a way out, but the sad truth may as well be, we chose the wrong Pokémon to take. The reason why? From what I’m understanding, we need to activate multiple buttons at once to have a chance. “Electricity should be delivered to all six of Klinklang spikes for it to wake up.” is what the notes say, and we can notice said electricity dissipating after a short period of time - once it hits the spike that is.

I take a sip of water from my bottle, which I brought in and put somewhere near the exit door. Some of the water runs down my chin. I’m hungry, I need a shower, not a single annoying water drop.

8:20 pm and by now Hikaru has clearly grown tired of trying to keep me interested. They haven’t looked my way for a very long time, let alone called my name or walked closer to where I’m standing. They’re probably waiting for a light bulb to appear over their head magically.

Technically, we have time. Nothing’s out to get us yet. But I’m sure of it, Hikaru is not considering how long it will take us to reach the closest sleeping accommodation, be it Slateport’s Pokémon Center (again) or a place along Mauport Bridge. And we can’t be in two different places at the same time, can we?

Can we?

“Hikaru! What moves does Treecko know?”

“Uh?”

“What moves?”

Hikaru looks a bit puzzled. I probably disturbed them while they were burying their head into their X-Transceiver, oh well.

“Uh, last time I checked there was Giga Drain, Quick Attack, Agility… and something else I don’t remember.”

Treecko is rolling her eyes at that, but nods shortly after.

I might have an idea, finally. Not Hikaru, me. But I need to find enough courage to test it. Funnily enough, that’s the easy part when you’re feeling so stressed out and only care about getting out of here.

I press a button. Klink spins faster. Electricity leaves its body and quickly reaches Klinklang. It lingers for a few seconds before the sparkles disappear entirely.

In that amount of time, I’ve barely made it one third of the way towards the next button, obviously. The room is big, it’s meant to be like that. But not everyone in this room is as slow as me.

“You… uh… realize we need to hit all the buttons at the same time or so?”

Hikaru looks at me, slightly confused. “Oh, yeah, I guess so.” I raise an eyebrow.

“Try letting Treecko use Agility. See how fast she can get!”

The Grass-type does just that, running around the room erratically and becoming progressively faster. After a few minutes, and by throwing in a Quick Attack too, she can go from one button to another in the blink of an eye. Ok, maybe that’s too quick, but I’m surprised at the difference myself.

Two buttons remain. Angie is up. The buttons happen to be raised from the floor and too tall for her to reach but I have to think of a solution. The fact I’ve been able to get Treecko, a single Pokémon, to take care of two buttons (at least that’s what I hope) is already galvanizing me.

Eventually the solution I get to is Mud Sport. Over the course of a couple minutes, Angie creates a small ramp made out of mud that lets her reach one button, press her body against it, and then slide down. I help her with the shape of it, so that the ramp allows her to launch herself and fly towards the next button. She doesn’t seem to mind, mostly because I’m still convincing her to do what I say by promising berries after we’re done. I know I shouldn’t do that, but this is a dire situation and it calls for desperate measures.

Admittedly, Angie seems to have a lot of fun sliding down her own Mud Sport. She smiles at me as she gets back up the little mountain that acts as the starting point and tries again, helping me shape the mud so that she can reach the next button more easily.

It’s almost 9 pm when we’re ready. Hikaru, who has been looking at me from afar and has sort of stayed in a state of slumber this whole time, is ready to do the honors and count to three. After that…

I press one button. They press one button too. Treecko presses one button before running as fast as she can towards the next, activating it and totaling two buttons. Angie also presses one button before sliding down the mud ramp we built and latching herself onto another button, pressing it and also covering two buttons.

1+1+2+2=6.

First attempt is kind of a disaster, with me letting go of the button too soon and Angie sliding right past her second target. It must be hard to stop, for sure, that’s a weak point in the plan. But we may as well try again.

Third time's the charm.

We made it.

Actually, I should say “I made it”, because that’s how things really went. But I already know they’ll take all the credit, since they were the one to drag me here in the first place.

Paired with Ninetales and Vulpix 🌸 Moderator of Challenges and Writer's Lounge
Flair artwork

Eleanor

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Seen 25 Minutes Ago
Posted 34 Minutes Ago
4,299 posts
5.5 Years

Avril Reese

16 - ♀ - Laverre City

Featuring Hikaru

Pokémon / Inventory:

AVRIL'S TEAM:
🌼 Poppy (Flabébé) ♀
Flower Veil

🌼 Hydrangea (Shellos) ♀
Storm Drain

🌼 Wisteria (Inkay) ♂
Infiltrator

🌼 Thistle (Wooloo) ♀
Bulletproof

Away:

AVRIL'S INVENTORY:
🌼 1 Empty Pokéball
🌼 2 Potions
🌼 Eviolite
🌼 Silk Scarf
🌼 TM for Ally Switch
🌼 5 Rare berries
🌼 Sea Incense

🌼 Pink Woolen Hat

AVRIL'S CONTACTS:

🥊

🎀• 1

Tiny Guardian
Saturday, October 3rd - early morning - Mauport Bridge
Hikaru’s half baked plan did somewhat work when we tried looking for a room on Mauport Bridge at… 10 pm or so. Probably even later than that, I don’t remember.

It turns out that, despite the name, this is more than a bridge. There’s buildings right on top of the bridge (Hikaru says they copied a bridge in Unova, of all things), all rising on the two sides of a rather large and pleasant walkway. It also turns out that there’s a Bed & Breakfast that owns several of them and can rent out rooms to trainers just like a Pokémon Center usually does.

…it also turns out that the bed & breakfast was about to close down when we got there. Hikaru had to ask directions to a resident (yes, people live here) and then sprint on their bike like a maniac to make it in time and pray to the receptionist for a room. But by the time I got there, they made it, and had the keys dangling in front of my face.

Oh sorry, the single key. We share a double room.

🚲🚲🚲

For once, I can’t complain. There wasn’t much else we could’ve done - or rather, it was their fault for not bringing a tent or at least telling me to do that, but they somehow saved themselves from living through the consequences. I still felt bad for the poor receptionist though, who had to endure this person barging into the building just seconds before he would be free to leave his job.

I will however complain about how Hikaru was still awake when I crashed into my bed. They were still talking to themselves and messing with their X-Transceiver when I was already trying to sleep, and guess what, that’s kind of a big nuisance. It’s kind of hard for me to sleep if the room isn’t dark and quiet.

Oh, and then, then my own little curse comes into play. I tried to close all the curtains as best as I could, but when the Sun started getting high enough on the horizon and the wind started to blow stronger, I felt that. The fact we were assigned a room on the top floor made this worse too. And so, I woke up.

I was still tired from the day before, from all the bike trips, from the somersaults my mind had to make in order to adapt to everything that happened (from camping with June, to reaching Slateport with her, to leaving the city in the blink of an eye because of this idiot). But when the Sun is up, I just can’t go back to sleep, I can only stare at the ceiling.

I look to the side and notice Hikaru in their bed, still laying down. They’re really sleeping like a rock…

I wasn’t interested in meeting them again after what happened in Dewford, if not for that little thing we’d left undone. But now they’re using said thing to force themselves inside my journey, inside my mind, and that’s getting too much. I have my own Pokémon and my own friends to care about. So if I can use this curse of mine as an advantage, and end this joke, I’ll at least give it a try.

Hikaru’s red backpack is lying right beside their bed. It’s surely smaller than my own rolling bag, but it still looks sturdy and able to carry lots of things… and it does have some external pockets and straps too, perhaps to tie even more objects to it. Nothing of note is exposed though, and that really doesn’t help. I wonder where the Mawilite could be, where I should look in order to find it quickly…

I take a few steps, trying to get closer. Poppy helps me as well, floating towards the backpack way quicker than me, but then shakes her head, signaling she needs help unzipping the main compartment. That, I can take care of myself… slowly.

I can fit my hand inside! It just feels… weird though. I have no idea what I’m touching and I don’t even want to know. Not until I hear some cries.

”ty-?”

Rei is in there!?

Looks like the rather odd, almost squishy thing I was feeling is just that… Hikaru’s starter Pokémon! He winces in pain before giving me a small electric shock that makes me squeal as well. I immediately retract the hand but the damage is done, and Rei peeks out of the backpack with a pout on his face.

I surrender.

Flair artwork

Caesar

Age 28
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
403 posts
10.5 Years

Wednesday, September 30th @ 1500 - Winston Ranch (Route 102)

Rest of the job went without problem, as the Winston Ranch crew herded up the Tauros for the order, and they didn't need Clint to bring them down to the docks, as that was going to be handled by the full-time guys, leaving Clint finished up with his work. All in all not a bad diversion from the journey, as Clint met a useful resource in Sergei, as well as the money to come on top of that.

Right, he thought, Clint still had to head up to the farm house to collect his payment. He was promised twenty-thousand for his work, good money for a couple long days on the ranch. Clint had to return the Mudsdale he was riding, so he had to make the long walk up the laneway to the farm house. The Winston's house was a large, old style farm house painted white. It was quite an imposing building sitting on top of a hill, and the laneway took you up the hill, forcing you into looking up at the house.

Out in front of the house was Irving Winston yelling at Issac and Sam about something they screwed up on, before Irving throwing up his hands and walking off. Clint caught up to Irving on the steps of the house and stopped him.

"I'm here to settle up sir, before I take off."

"I owe ya some money then don't I kid," Irving replied.

Clint nodded in agreement, and Irving took out a wad of cash, before counting out fifteen grand and handing it over to Clint. Clint looked down at the cash, a little bit shy from what he was promised, but it was better than zero. He was also asked for his trainer number, apparently they get a tax break for hiring trainers for short-term work or something like that. Clint obliged, despite being shorted on the payment, even he wasn't sure why he did so. Screw these guys is what Clint's attitude should have been, but who knows in ten years from now when this trainer thing didn't work out he might need to come here again. So Clint thanked Irving Winston for the work, and left the ranch.

Clint found himself walking aimlessly around what was known as the Trainer's Corridor in the middle of Littledale, taking the afternoon to relax after a fairly eventful last few days. Despite the nature of his journey, where he needed to be on the move frequently, he wouldn't mind spending more time in Littledale. The small farm town was more of his vibe then the bigger cities like Slateport. Sadly for Clint, they liked to put gyms and tournaments in big cities. He would have to learn to live with that fact, but in the meantime Clint could appreciate the time he got to spend outdoors, where he felt more at home.

Of course, a voice that unfortunately became familiar for Clint to hear over the past couple of days was chirping at him yet again. Sam Winston, from the ranch was complaining about Clint being a coward, because they hadn't battled yet. Suppose Clint could partake, after all who was he to turn down free practice, especially when it finds him, and not vice versa. Clint turned around to see Sam walking over to him.

"So you's thought you were gonna waltz into town, collect a payday, beat our gym leader and leave, didn't ya," Sam asked.

"That's exactly what I had in mind," Clint snapped back.

"Well that ain't how its gonna work, I'm gone beat you so bad you turn around back the way you came," Sam insisted.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Clint shot back, his right hand hovering over the Pokeball on his holster containing his new capture, Ralts.

Sam readied a Pokeball of his own,

"I only got the one Pokemon right now, if I knock out one of yours I win," he clarified.

Clint was fine with that, and sent Ralts into battle, Sam's sole Pokemon was a Numel, at least that's what Clint's Pokedex had led him to believe. According to the fancy device everyone insisted trainer's have with them, this Numel was a fire and ground type. Would have been easier to go with Poliwag if that was the case, but Ralts should be able to get the job done. Now to get Ralts' moveset ready to go. Sergei had shown Clint how to use the PokeNav to find out the moveset of any Pokemon you caught, was just a manner of Clint sorting it out. As Clint was scrolling through the menus, Numel used the attack Flame Wheel, covering itself in fire and charging Ralts, sending him tumbling back, rolling on the ground a few times before dusting himself off and standing back up.

"I thought you were a tough guy, can't come up with an attack," Sam prodded,

"I know Nu's moves off by heart."

Doubt you caught your Numel yesterday, Clint thought to himself. Clint continued to struggle his way through the PokeNav's menu, but could see Numel charging again with another Flame Wheel. But this time, Ralts had took it upon himself to use Teleport to get out of the way. Guess these psychic types could be pretty smart themselves. Disregarding the PokeNav now, Clint recalled that Ralts used Confusion on his Poliwag yesterday, so now he directed Ralts to use it now that he was clear out of the way of Numel's Flame Wheel. The waves sent out by Ralts clearly hurt Numel's head, even the two trainers watching could feel a little pain as well.

Clint tried to recall what other moves Ralts used, figured those were the moves to use. One of those moves was Double-Team, if Sam's plan was to Flame Wheel Ralts into submission, being harder to hit would go a long way into defusing that strategy. Like clockwork, here came Sam with another Flame Wheel. Rinse and repeat with a Teleport to avoid the attack, and a Confusion to counter-attack. This left Sam scratching his head, as if this is the first time he's been thrown a curveball like this. Sam had Numel take a deep breath and focus in on Ralts, that move went by the name Focus Energy. Made critical hits more likely. Ralts went with a Double-Team once again, making Ralts more likely to evade those more likely critical hits. Ralts was moving so quickly back and forth Numel couldn't tell where to aim its Flame Wheel, but still managed to connect on the attack, launching Ralts back, also appearing to burn Ralts as well.

"Looks like I got your Ralts burning now, I got you where I want you," Sam taunted.

But just after he said that, his Numel starts smoldering as well, somehow Numel had started burning. Sam had a look of shock on his face. Clint, who was also confused on what had just transpired, gave off a smug look like he knew what had happened.

"I ain't never seen anything like this, what sort of tricks you pulling," Sam shouted.

"Its called Synchronize you idiots," a voice came out of the trees, as well as a woman with brunette hair, looked to be early 30's, who knows exactly plus according to Clint's father it was rude to ask a woman her age anyways.

"If a Pokemon with Synchronize gets afflicted with a status condition, it passes the condition on to the opponent's pokemon that gave it the condition. Of course you'd know that if you joined the 21st century and learned how to use a PokeNav," this woman explained, grabbing the PokeNav out of Clint's hand.

The woman pressed a variety of buttons on the PokeNav before handing it back to Clint, now the PokeNav had all the data on his Ralts on the page, including the ability Synchronize and his entire moveset. Clint hoped he'd be able to find it by himself one day.

"Better learn how to work that thing soon kid. That whole 'tough guy' act you got is going to wear thin once people realize you're an idiot," the woman continued on. Clint just stood in silence, suppose he had to take his lumps on this one.

"Aren't you that May woman from the Institute," Sam asked.

"Yes I am Winston, does your grandfather know you've escaped the insane asylum," May quickly retorted.

"They ain't know I'm gone," Sam answered.

"Suppose you should head back before they find out," May dismissed Sam,

"As for you tough guy, you dress like a local but I've never seen you."

Clint finally took his turn to speak, rather meekly,

"Well I ain't from here miss, I'm taking on the league here."

"And how's that working out for you," May snarkly asked.

"Got a couple badges so far, one in Dewford the other in Petalburg," Clint answered.

"Petalburg, not bad kid. Maybe you're smarter than you look, or maybe just luckier," May laughed,

"Either way, have fun with Merry. You two should get along just fine, y'all could pretend electricity was never invented," May said, walking away waving good-bye to Clint.

May was a bit off-putting, she had a point though, Clint would have to put up with the modern world every now and then. Focus now was finding Merry.

+$15,000 to Clint's inventory

Team & Inventory:
Spoiler:

Blaze|Brave| Moves: Ember|Dragon Breath|Bite|Smokescreen|Fire Fang|Slash

Overgrow|Sassy| Moves: Leaf-age|Detect|Quick Attack|Double Kick|Assurance

Water Absorb|Quiet| Moves: Hypnosis|Water Gun|Pound|Mud Shot

Synchronize|Gentle| Moves: Confusion|Double Team|Teleport|Growl|Draining Kiss
Inventory:

$24,500
2x Potions
1x Pokeballs
Sceptilite
TM Protect

Eleanor

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Seen 25 Minutes Ago
Posted 34 Minutes Ago
4,299 posts
5.5 Years

Hikaru

18 - - Castelia City
featuring Avril Reese

Pokémon / Inventory:
HIKARU'S TEAM:
⚡ Rei (Tynamo), ♂
Levitate
Spark, Charge Beam, Tackle, Thunder Wave
⚡ Hoshi (Staryu)
Illuminate
Psywave, Rapid Spin, Water Gun, Camouflage, Confuse Ray, Harden
⚡ Aruku (Clobbopus), ♀
Technician
Rock Smash, Leer, Feint, Detect, Bind, Brick Break
⚡ Tsuga (Treecko), ♀
Overgrow
Mega Drain, Pursuit, Pound, Quick Attack, Quick Guard, Detect

HIKARU'S BADGES:
🥊 - 🧱

A fair chance to prove yourself
Saturday, October 3rd - about 9 a.m. - Mauport Bridge
That high-pitched yelp sort of woke me up, but wasn’t enough to make me spring up from my bed. I opened my eyes, looked at the ceiling, listened for what was happening, but soon went back to snoozing. Snoozing, but not quite sleeping.

When I woke up, I tried to play it safe, but could already notice Avril being slightly more nervous than usual. Of course, I could also notice Rei being more nervous than usual. I usually let him stay in my backpack during some nights and from there, he works his magic on most of my stuff… like the flashlight I remembered to buy after the Dewford misadventure. But when I checked my bag, the pocket that I had closed shut was now slightly open, the stuff inside was not in the position I left it in, and Rei was… very awake. And that yelp, I still remember it well.

I think I know what’s been happening, but I wait it out until after breakfast - kindly offered by the Bed and Breakfast staff, obviously. I simply try to talk about what I’d like to do next, which is… head straight to Mauville and stay there for a while. But as is predictable, Avril doesn’t seem to agree, and from there…

“Well, why not give you a chance now?” I smile, facing Avril on a small makeshift battlefield. She’s definitely conflicted, I can see it in her eyes, but Poppy nods to her and flies forward, twirling around Rei. And the blonde girl doesn’t stop her, so I assume we can start.

As per suggestion of the B&B owner, this will be a Sky Battle. Both Pokémon can float by themselves, meaning that instead of getting KOed, a battle can simply be won when one of the Pokémon touches ground in any way- for some reason, Avril seems quite reassured to hear that.

I let Avril start and, cleverly I should say, she tells Poppy to go for a Wish. A small comet is shot up from her body as I tell Rei to… wait it out. He moves around, zipping around the Flabébé, but doesn’t do much, earning some confused looks. “Thunder Wave!” I then call out, and sparks spread out from my Pokémon. Poppy dodges a few but then is hit as she looks busy with something… probably controlling her own Wish, because after she’s inflicted with Paralysis, the small comet comes back down, impacts on her body, and shatters without any real effect. Avril is not that happy.

I can tell Poppy has slowed down, which means it’s time for my next stage of Rei’s bare-bones strategy. Easy enough when you only have those 4 moves, uh? As I was saying, it’s time for Charge Beam, which Rei keeps trying to hit over and over while Avril really doesn’t give Poppy that many commands. I can still appreciate it though… how Poppy is able to dodge most of those attacks with blowing Fairy Wind in the right direction.

Avril is not telling her nothing but her Pokémon is still doing great, that in itself… is interesting.

I have to change my strategy here, though, or at least try. Poppy is still able to hit back with Magical Leaf from a range. And so I tell Rei to go for Spark… and it works! He’s much faster than her, and this allows him to put some nice blows on Poppy. All while Avril, again, isn’t sure what to do.

I mostly hear her giving… inspirational quotes or something like that. “We have to do this for Venus!” She calls out. All while I stand there and look at the battle ending in my favor.

It’s when Rei comes closer for yet another Spark that Poppy does something… new. My opponent - the trainer - has been telling her to use that Magical Leaf quicker, or something like that. I can see Poppy has been trying to keep some leaves around her in case Rei would come closer. But now it’s a rather large whirlwind of leaves, no… petals… surrounding that tiny sprite… where did that come from?

This is a situation I’ve seen in other battles too: my opponent does something new or pulls a trick I didn’t expect. I already know I can’t predict all of those strategies and really, I don’t care much, as long as I can still react and do my own thing. I’m not excessively scared even when Rei is pushed back considerably due to all the petals hitting him at once, because I can see him recover quite quickly.

“Wow, that’s Petal Blizzard!” I hear from the side of the battlefield - which really, is only a small opening on the side of the main road, stretching between the Bed & Breakfast and another separate building. Some more people seem to have appeared and are looking at the ongoing battle… which in itself makes me feel that strange mixture of pride and pressure. Bad news Avril, now I have to win this.

After a few more Petal Blizzards, coming my way, Rei is starting to understand how it works. As far as I know, that’s a relatively new move for Poppy and Avril, which makes it less threatening than it could really be. The only issue is how to deal damage, but I find a way eventually… with Tynamo launching himself upwards and coming back down with a Spark.

Petal Blizzard is not enough to block the attack, only slow it down a bit… but it seems Rei knows what the objective of this battle really is. I see him waving his tail around, pushing Poppy towards the ground as he hits her. She tries to slow herself down with a Fairy Wind but… the stem of her flower touches ground nonetheless. And that is the signal for me to celebrate.

Flair artwork

Eleanor

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Seen 25 Minutes Ago
Posted 34 Minutes Ago
4,299 posts
5.5 Years

Avril Reese

16 - ♀ - Laverre City

Featuring Venus the Mawile

Pokémon / Inventory:

AVRIL'S TEAM:
🌼 Poppy (Flabébé) ♀
Flower Veil

🌼 Hydrangea (Shellos) ♀
Storm Drain

🌼 Wisteria (Inkay) ♂
Infiltrator

🌼 Thistle (Wooloo) ♀
Bulletproof

Away:

AVRIL'S INVENTORY:
🌼 1 Empty Pokéball
🌼 2 Potions
🌼 Eviolite
🌼 Silk Scarf
🌼 TM for Ally Switch
🌼 5 Rare berries
🌼 Sea Incense
🌼 Pink Scarf

🌼 Pink Woolen Hat

AVRIL'S CONTACTS:

🥊

🎀• 1

Letting yourself go
??? - ??? - Littleroot Research Lab

What is it that you want? Why are we still doing this?

A tall fiery Pokémon glares down at me while I shrug towards the girl who holds my Pokéball. For an undefined amount of time I’ve been here trying to survive, fighting for my life but failing on every possible level. This bird is fast, it can anticipate my moves, it blinds me when it attacks, and it hurts badly. I can feel my body losing its shape and consistency as its flames reach me, I can feel my insides literally erupting beneath my skin and flailing to escape.

I have tried every trick in the book and at first it worked. I evaded a few attacks - a big accomplishment against this thing - with the techniques I use most of the time. For example, I launched myself up, blowing air with my second mouth to get momentum, and avoided a sweeping kicking attack, then I tried to get some more speed advantage, but it blocked my bite and I was forced to let it go.

And from then onwards, nothing but pain. My attacks avoided, my movements predicted. My rage was building up more and more, knowing it was the one to start the fight in the first place, and for no good reason. Not like there’s any normal food around here for either of us.

Sometimes, the bird stops in its place and taunts me. It wants me to come forward and attack even when the both of us know how it’s going to go. Some background voice tells me to do something even if I’m not really in the mood anymore, but then I just let myself go and attack again. Of course, I try to invoke some pity as well. I try to look defeated, I try to look submissive, I think I’m doing it well, but my opponent doesn’t agree.

Then the voice became something along the lines of “Let yourself go.” Or “Do what feels better for you.” I think I’ve also heard “Concede” once but I have no clue what that word means specifically. I looked for the girl - she was still in her usual place.

I grind my teeth. I know there’s no way I can win this battle, my attacks are easily avoidable and even when they’re not, they barely hurt. But what alternative do I have? Running away? Don’t think I haven’t tried it - I was just stopped, picked up just like I usually pick up my snacks, and kicked or punched around like a metal husk until I was conveniently in the middle of the battlefield again. All while I still hear things like “Give up!”

And then? And then what? At this point, I have blood-shot eyes. It’s all I see. Don’t know whose, but I know it will spill eventually. I cough up my last sparkles, mixed in with some dirt, and make my last strides towards my enemy. All it does is dodge my charge.

My last breath howls through my drooling mouths before the larger one drags my whole body with it and I fall down to the ground. Fine. Be quick… I cry out one last time, before my eyes close and my brain shuts down.

Who would’ve thought, I would’ve soon been opening those very eyes again? Apparently, my new life was just getting started.

Flair artwork

Groc

Age 31
Male
Arizona, USA
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
1,594 posts
11.6 Years
Edison Kintobor
Saturday, October 3rd
Route 110 Land Bridge

When the sun rises the next morning, Neo wakes up Ed with a low buzz and a weak zap of electricity. Ed attempts to wake Addie by gently shaking him, to no effect, but the rustle of unwrapping a food bar and the smell it emits awaken the hungry child immediately. Addie happily eats his breakfast while Ed gets dressed for the day.

As he packs up his tent, he tucks the odd cloth from yesterday deeper into his bag. Whatever signal it was putting out yesterday is weaker today, and he can't hear the noise it made anymore, but he doesn't want it to distract him. Once that's taken care of, he settles his bags across his shoulders and sets out in search of breakfast.

Perhaps if he'd payed more attention to the local area, or ever read a field survival guide, this would be a much simpler affair. But what he had paid attention to was Pokémon physiology, and he knows firsthand that Munchlax have an incredible sense of smell, and his in particular has an insatiable curiosity. So, by letting Addie lead the way, the Kinyo Trio move aimlessly from one patch of grass to another, which leads to an interesting discovery: mushrooms.

The massive bridge overhead blocks out a majority of sunlight, and combined with the moisture and lower temperature near the water, the large support beams of the bridge prove to be an ideal place for mushrooms to grow. Ed isn't sure what kind of mushrooms there are, but the most common mushroom is a small brown variety with a slightly nutty aroma.

After gathering a small amount, his next challenge is to cook them. He's heard of the dangers of wild mushrooms, some of which are even toxic, but he's confident that cooking will alleviate that issue. To that end, a good stick isn't hard to come by, and he's able to skewer his mushrooms upon the stick. Next, he balances it atop some rocks, and watches as Neo's Thunder Shock works sweet science on the fungi. After a short amount of time, the mushrooms are darkened and steaming.

He carefully plucks a piece from the stick, popping it into his mouth. It's hotter than he anticipated, and he burns his tongue slightly as he chews, breathing with his mouth open to try and cool it. Overall not bad, there isn't much flavor to them, though they are dense and a little spongy. Good enough for a light meal, although he would prefer something more tasty.

He finds a solution to that closer to midmorning, when their meandering path leads them to an encounter with a wild Pokémon! Passing under a small tree, Ed narrowly dodges a stream of seeds. He looks up just as a second volley hits the ground near his feet. Sitting on a low branch is a small, black and white bird with a red stripe running from its beak to the crest on its head.

Ed immediately backpedals, stepping out of range of the tree. Neo sticks close to him, but Addie inspects the seeds on the ground. He seems disappointed in them, and the bird, Pikipek, chirps aggressively at him.

"Addie, get back here! We don't want to intrude on its habitat, it's against the rules!"

Addie looks up at Pikipek, but immediately gets distracted by something behind it, in the branches of the tree. Ed looks, and spots some ripe-looking fruit, perhaps plums, hanging there. Pikipek chirps again, spittle more Bullet Seeds at Addie. The little Munchlax covers his head with his arms, but otherwise shrugs off the attacks.

Pikipek swoops down toward Addie, but Ed quickly orders Neo to use Thunder Wave, paralyzing the winged menace before it can attack Addie with its formidable beak. Neo dutifully levitates up into the tree, shaking several plums loose for Ed to collect, along with a small nest. Ed looks to Neo in confusion, but upon closer inspection of the nest, he spots a small spherical object with a black top and a yellow marking. It's an Ultra Ball!

"What's this doing in a bird's nest?" He vaguely recalls that many birds collect shiny objects, keeping them as trophies to attract mates. He momentarily considers writing a report on Pikipek, but quickly dismisses the idea when he realizes he'd have to intentionally seek out more of them. Instead, he and his team make off like bandits before the bird can recover from Neo's shock.

The plums are tart and juicy, not to Addie's preference, but Ed doesn't mind so much. "To be safe, let's avoid any more trees if we can. We'll probably have better luck looking for berry bushes closer to the ground. They'd be sweeter, and with less risk of birds in them."

Which is exactly how they spend the next few hours, with Addie investigating any bushes he can find in search of berries. And luckily for him, they actually find quite a few. It seems that blackberries are in season, and Addie happily chows down on any he can find, with Ed grabbing some for himself if he can.

Ed looks over his haul when they stop for lunch. Addie has already sampled some of everything, but Ed still shares what he has with him. He's left with a few plums, a handful of berries, some brown mushrooms, and a small mushroom with a red cap. It reminds him of the mushrooms from that game about two mustachioed brothers rescuing a princess, but he has no illusions that it's some kind of power-up.

He sets up his cooking stick, popping a berry into his mouth as Neo charges up their Thunder Shock. Thinking about it, Neo hasn't eaten anything recently. They eat electricity, but there hasn't been much of that around while camping. They've never complained of hunger before, but Ed hasn't gone this long without a place to recharge, either...

He digs through his backpack, finding a few rechargeable batteries that still have some juice in them. He offers one to Neo after they finish cooking his lunch. They buzz happily, and he sets it down so they can drain it for sustenance. Ed smiles at his Pokémon, then looks out over the expanse before them. It will take another day or so before they reach Mauville, but he's enjoying his time out here so far. He'll have to do this more often...

Item Get!
Ed found one (1) Ultra Ball!

Cubeth

Age 22
They / Them
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
2,428 posts
3.1 Years
Jordie "Jo" Hughes
Friday, September 25
Chapter 3: Part 8 - vs. Wally, Part 1
15:00 - 15:07 Petalburg Gym
I take a look at my XT’s clock, 15:00, it says. It’s time.

I’m standing in front of the door that would take me to the battlefield. Where Leader Norman used to take his challengers, where the audience will see me, Jordie Huges, beat Hoenn’s Hall of Fame, Wally Greene.

Yesterday was certainly the worst time to have contact again with the people in Unova. It just added more to how anxious I was feeling with challenging someone who got to the Hall of Fame at a young age, a prodigy, that’s what Wally is.

But I’ll be fine! I trained for this! I’m ready to take his challenge!

I keep telling myself that as I give my final breath and go past that door.
I hear the audience cheering as I walk into the battlefield. I bow my head at Leader Norman, who’s acting as the referee for this battle, and Wally, who walked in at the same time I did. Needless to say most of the cheer was for him.

“Are both challengers ready?,” asks the retired Gym Leader.

“Yes, Master Norman!” Wally nods and I follow shortly after, with my hand on Gabby’s and Maroon’s dusk balls.

Norman nods at both of us. “Both of you, give it your all, then. May the battle begin!”

Spoiler:

“Let’s go! Indy, Deedee!,” Wally calls, sending out his first two pokemon, both of them are Indeedee, apparently, Normal and Psychic types, one of which sets up the Psychic Terrain upon entrance. I smile. Is that what Hui’s brother meant when he said I was ready for him?

“Gabby, Maroon!” I throw both dusk balls in the air. The green sparks fly upon opening, and Maroon drops their anchor on the ground upon entrance, with their helm floating in place.

“Trick Room?,” Wally asks, giving me a blank stare.

“W-wha-!?” I snap, and so does Gabby, who’s more intimidated than I am. He really identified my strategy by just seeing my first two pokémon. That comes with experience, I guess.

Wally seems to retract that statement after Norman clears his throat, though.

“N-no, it’s not bad! I mean, it depends a lot on team synergy, right?,” he says. “If you are able to use it then I guess those two badges were well earned… I didn’t want to sound intimidating, sorry!”

“... sure. As long as you don’t feel you have to go easy on me…”

He looks at Norman, trying to see his reaction, but then grins. “Never.”

“Well then, Maroon, Gyro Ball at Deedee! Gabby, position yourself behind Maroon and start charging for Trick Room!”

Gabby does as told, and Maroon lunges forward and raises their anchor like a scorpion’s tail. They start spinning it like a lasso before throwing it at the female Indeedee.

Deedee’s eyes glow in a pink light before disappearing from her spot and taking Indy’s place instead, who blocks Maroon’s attack with a green barrier. After the anchor touches the ground, Indy does a maneuver with his arms and his barrier takes the form of a pink-ish fireball that is shot at Maroon with great strength.

Tsk. Okay, that move was more risky than I thought.

“Gabby, you ready?”

Gabby chirps positively and unleashes all of her energy to get Trick Room running. Gabby instantly switches places with Maroon, and they grate their anchor and helm, forcing both Indeedee to cover their ears because of the sound that makes.

This gives Gabby time to land Hidden Power two consecutive times at Indy, my biggest threat at the moment, but Indy manages to block the third one with Protect, shielding him from the noise while Deedee manages to position herself and gathers the terrain’s power to shoot a Terrain Pulse at Maroon to make them stop.

Deedee’s next move is directed at Indy. She shoots another pulse attack, but this one heals him from the two super-effective hits he just took. She closes her eyes and both her's and Indy's horns start glowing until Indy casts a second Mystical Fire, which this time is a bigger and stronger fireball, which is aimed at Maroon.

Gabby switches places once again to take the hit and deal all the damage she's received so far back at Indy with Endeavor before recovering her health. Meanwhile, Maroon takes that opportunity to Wrap their helm around Deedee and then use Gyro Ball to launch her against Indy..

Maroon picks up Deedee once again, this time wrapping around her with their anchor to restrain her, slowly weakening and draining her health and drawing her closer.

Wally frowns and tries to think of a way to take Deedee safely out of that situation, but it's Indy the one that takes the initiative this time, running closer to where Maroon is to get into range with Ally Switch and switch places with Deedee.

“Indy, what are you-?”

Deedee looks at Indy and then looks back at Wally. The trainer nods and she does as well, making their horns glow once again.

I see how Indy's hands start forming a circle and the pink fire starts forming and instantly understand where this is going to.

“Maroon, get out of there!”

Gabby tries to switch places with Maroon, but Deedee comes at her with a Draining Kiss, which completely upsets her and interrupts her move.

“Muk-! Maroon, Giga Drain!”

Maroon tightens their grip around Indy, draining what little health he has left, and Indy grins the moment he launches his attack.

There's an explosion and the sound of Maroon's anchor falling is heard. The smoke disappears from the battlefield and Maroon and Indy let themselves be seen, the latter sitting on the floor.

“Can Indy keep battling?,” asks Norman.

Deedee's horns glow, but Indy's don't. She shakes her head.

“Indy and Maroon can't keep battling! Both challengers have 3 pokémon left!”

Gabby looks at me with a sad face, probably feeling her reaction to Draining Kiss could've changed the final outcome. She's never been a fan of physical contact of any kind, honestly. I can just hear Hui's brother laugh at her.

“Don’t worry. We'll look into that later.”

“How much time has passed?” Wally chimes in.

Norman looks at his watch. “Three minutes.” Wally nods, and blankly stares at the ground mumbling something to himself. “Wally.”

“Hm?” He looks back at Norman, who just looks at him knitting an eyebrow. “Yeah, I know. I'm just thinking what would be better to send out now. They are good, I can be a bit more merciless this time, right?”

Norman sighs. “In the end it's up to you, just remember you're not participating in the League Tournament anymore. Both of you have your pokémon ready?”

Wally smiles, next pokéball in his hand. “Yes, Master Norman! Go, Sloane!”

“Bane boy, your turn!”

Three minutes. Gabby's Trick Room lasts up to five minutes, it's probably the same for Indy's Psychic Terrain.

Vigoroth is a fast pokémon, compared to the other members of its evolutionary line so I still have the advantage now. If I manage to set up on Curse enough times, this should be easy.

“Let's start with some set-up! Sloane, Focus Energy!”

“Bane, set-up as well with Curse!”

While both pokémon concentrate on gaining more power, Deedee starts charging towards Jo's side of the field, zig-zagging between Bane and Gabby's lines. Sloane charges against Bane later on, with its claws gaining a dark colour, with clumsy movement for each step, due to how Trick Room is affecting its mobility.

A direct attack without any kind of speed control? He must be kidding.

“Bane, Iron Head! Gabby, distance yourself from Deedee and use Hidden Power!”

Gabby moves to her right and Deedee follows her, while at the other side, Bane starts charging forward at full speed, lowering his head to smash the Vigoroth at full force.

When Bane starts getting close enough, Sloane once of its arms to catapult itself against Bane, rapidly spinning both arms before being teleported to Deedee’s place.

Sloane takes a direct attack from Gabby’s Hidden Power, but it still manages to sneak a Night Slash at her that didn’t weaken her too much just because Hidden Power pushed it away for it to damage her just with the point of its claws. Still, that attack did a lot of damage to Gabby.

Sloane has trouble getting up, which gives enough time to Gabby to deal damage with Endeavor, except that the damage received by Sloane doesn’t seem to be too much. In fact, Gabby seems to have gotten a bit more of health back. I’m pretty sure that’s what Pain Split does. Gabby still Recovers the rest of her health.

Sloane finally gets on its knees and tries to swing another Night Slash at Gabby, except that that hit is taken by Bane’s Protect, who then uses Iron Head to push her down again before using Mud Slap to blind her for a while.

“We got that one! Gabby, Hidden Power! Bane, Iron Head again!”

Both attacks are directed at Sloane, but it’s actually Deedee who takes them, putting the Vigoroth on a safe spot and managing to use Healing Pulse on it before falling to those attacks.

“Deedee can’t keep battling! Leader Wally has only two pokémon left!”

“Sorry to break it to you, but I need her to be able to battle for now,” Wally says. “We’ve been at it for two minutes, right, Master Norman?”

Norman takes a look at his watch again and then nods at him.

“Great, I don’t have to worry about the terrain now,” he snickers, his final pokéball in hand. “Go, Leon, show them what you got!”

Wally’s final pokémon is a Kecleon. I’ve heard about those, but not much outside of their ability to change their typing after getting hit.

As soon as Norman tells us to keep battling, Sloane pounces at Gabby. Her mobility increased by a lot now that Trick Room is now and right now she’s the most dangerous now. She’s still having trouble seeing, though, so after missing her first attempt to attack her, she stops to rub her eyes.

“Gabby, start charging for Trick Room.”

Before Gabby starts gathering power, Sloane jumps back at her with another Night Slash, forcing her to use Ally Switch instead so Bane could block her attack with Protect.

Leon keeps its distance and the only thing that happens from its side is that its eyes flashes, but I can’t identify the move it just used and can’t take a look at it with Sloane attacking incessantly at Bane until she gets to break his barrier and strikes him with Shadow Claw this time. Leon’s eyes flash again after that.

Sloane jumps over Bane and pounces at Gabby once again with Shadow Claw, while she’s finishing charging psychic energy for her second Trick Room, forcing her once again to use Ally Switch before unleashing that energy.

Bane takes the hit from Sloane and also a Shadow Sneak from Leon before distancing itself once again with the same move to stay out of range.

Priority once again, really?,’ are my thoughts. At least Trick Room is up now. Sloane’s movements become clumsy again and give space to another attack Psyshock from Gabby, which she doesn’t bother dodging. But Leon’s Shadow Sneak is a problem. I have to be faster.

“Bane, use Curse again, then attack Leon with Iron Head!”

Bane barks in agreement and begins setting up, but the Kecleon suddenly changing its color to a light purple and instantly going back to green catches my attention. Next thing I see is Bane's fallen on the ground.

“Bane can’t keep battling! Challenger Jordie has two pokémon left!”

“W-wait, what!? What did you do!?” I quickly take a look at my pokédex to find my answer. Bane’s summary. Type: Ghost

“Skill Swap,” Wally answers. “It’s a bit of a gimmick, but it’s quite effective.”

Leon’s color shifts to light purple once again and then goes back to normal.

“That move came with a small price, though. I would have hoped that Curse wasn’t aimed at anything, but it seems it got Leon. He’s taking Curse damage now.”

I can’t believe it. He really baited me to use Curse. Is that the skill of a trainer worth his name in the Hall of Fame? Am I going to lose?
Gabby forgot Endeavor and learned Pain Split!
Jordie's Party:

Battle Subway:

Inventory:
Spoiler:
- 23 Dusk Balls
- X-transceiver
- ₽0
- Eviolite
- Aggronite
- Keystone
- Coaching TM

Cubeth

Age 22
They / Them
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
2,428 posts
3.1 Years
Jordie "Jo" Hughes
Friday, September 25
Chapter 3: Part 9 - vs. Wally, Part 2
15:07 - 15:12 Petalburg Gym
Spoiler:

Neon is my last pokémon, and it all goes down to how much I'm able to do with his almost nonexistent mobility.

It's hard to think straight when I just got caught off guard like this, though. Wally might not look like much, he looks like a kid, but he's my most dangerous opponent so far after Hui's brother.

“Um, are you okay?,” asks Wally. “Didn’t mean to demotivate you with that play. I can-”

“Don't you dare go easy on me! I'm just thinking. I still hold the speed advantage here, I'm not going to lose.”

“I mean I just say because you've been looking at nothing for a while. Something wrong?”

Well I have the reminiscence of my last battle and my parents telling me I wasn't ready to take the challenge in a different region… and yesterday's chat with Andrea… why is that even relevant now?

“... No, nothing. I'm fine.”

Leon's color changes once again.

Norman chimes in clearing his throat. “Challenger, in the light of one of your opponent's pokémon being afflicted by a deteriorating status condition, I'll ask you to send out your next pokémon right now!”

“Y-yeah, right. Sorry, didn't mean to…” I pick Neon's duskball. “We can do this, Neon. I'm counting on you.”

Leon's eyes flash once again as soon as Neon touches the ground.

If the flash in Leon's eyes is what Skill Swap looks like, then he used that move exactly two times before Bane fainted. The first time was to give the Ghost type to Bane, and the second one… Gabby still has her ability, otherwise Leon wouldn't be taking Curse damage. Sloane has no reason to use Rock Head, so it makes sense Bane got his ability back.

That means Leon gave Color Change to one of my pokémon again.

The question at hand is what pokémon did he give it to. Wally would benefit with both Neon's Static or Gabby's Magic Guard, either to make it more easy for him to take speed control with paralysis or to negate Curse damage.

Trick Room is now up, and Sloane is the most affected by it. As annoying as Leon is, he's not the strongest pokémon in this battlefield, Sloane is, not to mention Wally would rather have Neon with Color Change over Gabby, since Gabby takes super effective attacks from Night Slash and Shadow Claw anyways.

It's in Wally's best interest to slow Sloane down.

“Leon, Shadow Sneak!”

“That won't work this time. Neon, Camouflage!”

Leon manages to strike Neon with Shadow Sneak, but he mixes himself with the terrain and changes his typing to Normal when Sloane leaps at him to attack with Shadow Claw, effectively making himself immune.

Sloane tilts her head and grunts confused the moment Neon sticks his tongue at her before exploding a Mud Bomb on her face, making her back off away from him and blinding her once again.

Leon distances himself from Neon with Shadow Sneak to dodge a Mud Bomb directed at him too and shoots a Psybeam at him to change his typing again, but Gabby switches places with him and counters with Psyshock.

Leon takes Curse damage so Wally has him use Skill Swap again, this time on Gabby.

“Magic Guard, nice!,” Wally cheers, looking at the pokédex in his hand.

Leon then approaches Gabby with Shadow Sneak and gets electrocuted upon touch, falling on his back but being able to dodge her next attack with ease despite all that.

Despite her current condition, Sloane keeps fighting, desperately aiming her attacks at random, but swinging her arms with great strength. Her attacks are mostly aimed at Gabby, but she is able to dodge her moves with no problem, despite Leon's various attempts at slowing her down.

At one point, Leon catches Gabby, jumping at her from her own shadow, giving Sloane a chance to hit her, but Neon draws her back with another Mud Bomb, and then Gabby pushes Leon away with Psyshock.

“Gabby, Recover!”

Gabby tries to get her health back, but is interrupted by Leon jumping at her again with Shadow Sneak, this time also using Skill Swap, before jumping away from her, aiming to where Sloane is.

Sloane leaps at Gabby, touching Leon with her claws in the way and misses the attack after falling due to the electric shock.

Leon takes Curse damage while he's on the ground and uses Skill Swap after getting up.

Gabby starts going back to my side of the field, being followed by Sloane who managed to hit her once despite her still being slightly slower than her.

Sloane pounces at her, ready to land another blow, but takes a direct hit from Neon's Thundershock, sending her back to Wally's side of the field.

“Gabby, get ready to use Trick Room once again.”

Wally tsks and shakes his head. He nods at Sloane, who maliciously grins at Gabby before grunting at her and opening her arms, showing off her chest and claws at her. Gabby shakes her head and backs off, getting closer to where I am. The only thing she’s able to do when Sloane starts getting closer at a higher speed is shoot another Psyshock at her.

With Gabby being unable to trigger another Ally Switch to have Neon block Sloane’s and Leon’s ghost-type attacks, she becomes an easy target. Under Trick Room, she’s still faster than Sloane, but the Vigoroth’s now increased mobility makes her really dangerous with Leon bugging the hell out of Gabby with Shadow Sneak after Shadow Sneak.

Gabby tries to defend herself from Sloane using Psyshock once more. She’s quick to get back on her two feet, though and pounces at Gabby, preparing her death blow.

Sloane’s paralysis disables her leg’s movement and has her lose her balance middair, but she’s very quick to retaliate, building up momentum with her arm, and maneuvering against her to crush her with both claws, dealing enough damage to leave her out of combat.

“Gabby can’t keep battling! Challenger Jordie has only one pokémon left!”

“Dammit! Those psyducking priority moves!”

I’m between the wall and the edge of the sword. Leon isn’t taking Curse damage anymore, so I can ask for some time to breathe and think!

Right now, Neon is immune to most of Leon and Sloane’s attacks combined, and I don’t have to worry about Leon using Skill Swap again, there’s no reason for Wally not to stick to Magic Guard.

Which means I have to use Neon’s Camouflage in a clever way. As long as he has that, he’s safe.

Sloane is tired, she's panting too much from moving around incessantly. She might as well fall soon, which is good for me, because she's the most dangerous pokémon here now.

Without Gabby here to take Trick Room down, Neon is the slowest pokémon in the battlefield, so I have to battle doing what Neon does best: Defend.

“Neon, hide yourself with Camouflage!”

The Stunfisk blinks while looking at me -I’ll take that as a nod- and starts to become invisible using said move. Of course, now he has to focus on doing that while moving around slowly. Wally knows that -Kecleon use a similar stealth mechanism-, which means that he knows that unless Neon is using a different move, he won’t stop hiding.

Wally nods at Sloane, who carefully scans the battlefield until she senses some movement not too far from the spot in which Neon was positioned earlier. She starts to taunt him the same way she tried taunting Gabby, and that's exactly what I wanted.

“Now! Mud Bomb!”

Neon's attack is, like always, directed at Sloane's eyes. It takes her by surprise, and unable to see anything at all for the third time in this entire battle, she gives in to desperation again.

“Sloane, calm down,” Wally calls, but it's useless, the Vigoroth is already attacking at random, slamming her claws against the ground, trying to look for Neon with no results.

“Right here!” Neon starts spouting mud out of his mouth, which covers the entire area around him, giving away his current location. It's counterproductive because it also falls on him, so turning invisible becomes useless, but it doesn't matter anymore. I won.

Sloane obviously goes to where she sees Neon. Neon backs off with a single jump to get out of reach, which forces the Vigoroth to go inside the muddy area, slipping with the mud covered floor and leaving her vulnerable for Neon's final attack.

“Thundershock!”

She's too tired, and with the slippery floor and paralysis impeding her movement, Sloane is unable to do anything to dodge being zapped by Neon's attack. And while Thundershock was weakened because Sloane was covered in mud, it's still enough to take her down.

“Sloane can't keep battling! Leader Wally has only one pokémon left!”

At this moment, the tension can be felt in the air. Just until now, everyone was cheering for Wally, but now almost the entire crowd has gone quiet and they are just waiting for the conclusion of this battle. Both of us are at our last pokémon, and both of us have the same chance of winning.

Neon is tired, moving is not his strongest suit, even if he doesn't do it continuously and just at small distances. On the other hand, Leon is paralysed, which yes, gives him more mobility in the case of Trick Room, but also makes him unable to move at all whenever that paralysis kicks in.

I look at my XT. Wally and I have almost been battling for ten minutes, so Leon's advantage in mobility is almost at its end.

Leon shoots rings of psychic energy at Neon, changing his color to pink before returning to normal with Camouflage, time Leon takes to get closer to Neon with the help of Shadow Sneak. When Leon leaves his hiding spot, he is welcomed with a Mud Bomb from Neon, which blinds the Kecleon too much for him to be able use long-ranged attacks efficiently, forcing him to get closer.

Leon shoots a Psybeam at close range and immediately proceeds to use Shadow Sneak on Neon, who, unable to move away and dodge, stomps the ground with his tail, causing it to shake violently as rocky blades come out of the ground.

This forces Leon to interrupt his attack, using Shadow Sneak not to attack but to dodge what otherwise would be a fatal blow on him.

Leon jumps out of the ground to dodge and dives once again under his own shadow, this time using his speed to move around Neon and find a weak spot to attack.

Neon begins charging electricity and shoots random Thundershocks at the shadow, but Leon has no trouble dodging all of his attacks.

Neon starts becoming more upset at having his attacks dodged that after charging enough power for a final attack he stomps the ground with his tail once again. This time not to use Fissure, but to Discharge all of that electricity with that shockwave.

This doesn't help with having Leon leave his hiding spot, but it sure causes a reaction on Wally.

At his command, Leon's rushes to the mud puddle and leaves his hidden spot to use Camouflage there to become a ground type. This makes him immune to Neon's Discharge, and puts him close enough to use Shadow Claw on him.

“Neon, Camouflage!”

Neon changes color and becomes immune to Leon's attack again allowing him to hit him with Mud Bomb once again.

Leon gets startled and shakes his head after being hit and tries to clean his eyes, giving Neon an opening to stomp the ground again, this time to finish him off with Fissure.

“Leon can't keep battling! Leader Wally can't keep battling, so Challenger Jordie is the winner!”

“Oh, damn!” Wally complains, bringing Leon back to his pokéball and breathing heavily. Well, it doesn't seem like a complaint, he's actually smiling a bit. “Congratulations, Jordie. That was fun.”

“Th-thanks… for a moment I thought…”

“Yeah, I thought so too. But I guess you're just better, I don't know.” He looks at Norman, who's just standing there with a badge and a TM Case in hand. “Oh, right! For beating the Gym Leader of Petalburg Gym, you have earned the Balance Badge. As an additional prize, you also get a TM for a status move any of my pokémon can use, even those I didn't use for this battle. There's Coil, Skill Swap, Focus Energy, Tau-”

“Psychic Terrain.”

“What?”

“I want Psychic Terrain. One of your Indeedee had that, didn't they?”

“Uhh, no. Psychic Terrain was just set as Indy's ability, Psychic Surge. I don't use the move myself, so I don't have it.”

“Not even as a backup for that ability?” He shakes his head. “Well, muk. I’ll take Protect, then… although… Psycho Shift… nah, Protect is good.”

“Sure!,” Wally says, looking into the case for that disk. “Here you go… uhh… congrats on winning, I guess.”

“Thanks!” I start making my way outside the battlefield, looking at my new badge before putting it in its case, but something stops me. I have more questions to ask.

“Umm… Leader Wally?”

“Oh? Did I give you the wrong TM?”

“No, the TM is fine. I just wanted to ask you something,” I say. “I know a few things about you. For example, that you fled home without telling anyone to go on your journey.”

Wally instantly knows where I'm coming from.

“The only person I didn't tell anyone about what I was doing was my father.”

“But he eventually found out, didn't he?”

“When I got my name in the Hall of Fame, yes.” He smiles. “He was pissed, but he was worried more than anything... He always thought I needed to be protected from the outside world because of my health problems, as much as my mom tried to convince him otherwise.”

“Did you ever regret leaving him in the dark?”

“No, I didn't.” No hesitation in that answer and he doesn't elaborate either.

“I see… Thanks for the answer.” I nod and turn around.

“If I can give you some advice…,” he adds. “This journey and what you achieve with it is yours. Some people might not like the path you take, and that’s okay, not everyone can understand, but there will always be people that will support your decision no matter what, and having them close to you is the best thing you can do. I had my family in Verdanturf and my mom to support me, I don’t know about you.”

The first person that comes into my mind is my brother, and what Andrea told me yesterday echoes in my head: I should be thanking him for his support.

And for going against my parents during the whole Hoenn journey debacle too.

“Maybe… I think I have someone,” I say with a smile. Wally smiles back and Norman nods at him. “Thanks for the advice.”
Neon forgot Thundershock and learned Discharge!
Jordie got the Balance Badge!
Jordie's Party:

Battle Subway:

Inventory:
Spoiler:
- 23 Dusk Balls
- X-transceiver
- ₽5000
- Eviolite
- Aggronite
- Keystone
- Coaching TM
- Protect TM

Groc

Age 31
Male
Arizona, USA
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
1,594 posts
11.6 Years
Natsuko Soyokaze
Saturday, October 3rd; morning
Mauport Bridge

Mauport Bridge is even prettier in the day. Or maybe it's exactly as pretty, just in a different way. Without all the lights, the buildings themselves are more plain, but that just makes all the art stand out that much more! Tsu has to stop herself from taking pictures of every cool piece she sees, reminding herself to keep it personal.

She'd arrived shortly after sundown last night, and had immediately been attacked by a saleswoman offering her a bicycle. It was tempting, but sadly outside of her price range, especially since she had to pay for a room for the night. She'd had enough to cover it, barely, but that had led to a whole other conversation…

She shakes her head, not wanting to dwell on that. Long story short, she's ₽4000 in debt again, this time to Aunt Nyamo, but at least she has some spending money now.

So naturally she immediately went back for the bike first thing in the morning.

She regrets nothing, and even though the basket could hold a Pokémon, the only one she has that would fit is Riptide, and wrangling him would be a tall order. So instead, Shiny is keeping pace beside her, enjoying the opportunity to trot without leaving Tsu behind.

"So, where should we go first?" Tsu asks Shiny. "Should we find a shop, a restaurant, or an activity? I'd like to try something local, and I don't want to carry a bunch of extra stuff, so I'm thinking restaurant."

Shiny snorts, tossing her head.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. We did just have breakfast. Let's see what people do for fun around here! Look for someone friendly, we can ask around while we browse."

Riding her bike inside the market area is apparently a faux pas, so Tsu climbs off before looking at the stalls. It takes her a minute to figure out how to fold it up, but she figures it out. Shiny presses her head against Tsu’s side as soon as she's finished putting the bike away.

"Oof… you see something you like?" She follows Shiny's gaze to a tall tree a distance away. It moves oddly, not like the wind is blowing it, but like it's alive. She peers closer, realizing it's a Pokémon! "Wait, is that an Exeggutor? I've never seen one so tall before! Come on, let's go check it out!"

Apparently she's not the only one who's noticed the Alolan Exeggutor, as a small group of people have gathered around it. Still, some people are leaving, and a few of them are holding flyers. If this is an advertisement, then it's an effective one. She gets closer, wondering what they're selling, and sees two girls by Exeggutor's side, one handing out the flyers and the other dressed in a mascot costume.

Two girls she happens to recognize.

"Come visit Bell's Berries, locally sourced and fresh picked! Located at Southside Market, just past Rydel's Cycles!" Sunny Dey calls out from inside the Pinap Berry costume, while Marie Rachelle Mocinno gives out the physical advertisements.

Tsu stares, not entirely sure what she's experiencing right now. Confusion and curiosity for sure, along with excitement and amusement, with just a hint of trepidation. For better or worse, she considers these two her friends, but maybe she shouldn't approach them while they're working? Not to mention, the last time she'd seen either of them had been very emotionally charged.

The decision is taken from her when Marie spots her in the crowd and waves her stack of flyers. "Natsuko! My favorite girl! Come visit for a moment, will you?"

Sunny looks over at Marie in surprise, then over to Tsu. Her eyes widen and her face turns a little red, and she completely forgets to advertise for a moment.

Tsu grins a little. Now she has to go over. "Hey girls! Didn't expect to see you two here. It's been a while, how are you?"

"Well it's a lovely day, I'm handing out flyers, and Sunny is a Pinap berry. I'm having a great time!" Marie tugs Tsu into a one-armed hug, stack of flyers smacking her gently in the cheek as the taller girl's other hand passes one off to a bystander. "How's the rich girl life?"

"Ha ha… I wouldn't know!" Tsu slips free of the hug, hiding her eyes with her hat. "Turns out I'm not very responsible with my money when I have it."

"You out of money, too?" Sunny speaks up, looking grumpy as usual. "You want a turn in this suit? They pay you."

"You have to be at least as sour and spicy as its current occupant to pull it off, though," Marie stage-whispers.

"Oh. Then that won't work, I'm too sweet." Tsu clasps her hands by her cheek and flutters her eyelashes in a display of mock innocence.

Sunny rolls her eyes in disgust at both of them. "I hate you both."

Tsu laughs, knowing she doesn't mean that. "Where are you advertising? I want to look it up on my phone…" She holds her phone up, pretending to pull up a search engine, but actually going to her camera. A picture of Sunny in that costume will be sweet payback for that video of Stacy almost eating me.

"It's a berry stand back near the start of the bridge, called Bell's. You can't miss it." Sunny points in that direction, and Tsu takes a picture when she looks back toward the camera. "Hey! Was that a camera click? Delete that!"

"Oh, good idea! Let me get a photo!" Tsu slides up between Marie and Sunny, trying to fit all three of them into frame. Sunny doesn't make it easy, but she's not saying no, either. A fourth, fifth, and sixth face appear relatively in-shot as Tsu clicks the button- the grinning Exeggutor hums excitedly to see itself appear on the screen.

"Cutie! Sneaky boy!" Marie laughs, patting one of its cheeks.

Tsu puts a hand on Cutie's trunk, grinning at his photo bombing antics. "He just wanted to be in the photo! More than the other plant type here!" She playfully jostles Sunny, who swats at her hand.

"I'm never living this down, am I?" Sunny shakes her head, but still smiles a little. Maybe Tsu and Marie's playful energy is infectious?

"To be honest, I probably wouldn't have come over here if we hadn't seen him. He's great for drawing attention to yourselves, I had no idea it was you two! Actually, I would never have expected to see you two together, at least without Ed. Is he here too?"

"No, he's…" Marie backs up a few paces to peer over the rails. Sunny follows, awkwardly tilting her whole body in her costume, while Tsu follows more warily. "Down there."

Sunny sighs at the green expanse below, turning to lean her back against the rails. "He could be anywhere, really. He could be right below us and we wouldn't even see him."

The wind gusts up and Marie's hair smacks her in the face. Tsu peers over the edge herself, trying to test that theory, but of course she doesn't see anyone. "Huh. Neat. But he's always been… you know, kind of weird, he's probably having fun down there. But there's fun stuff up here, too! What are you girls doing today?"

"This," Marie shakes her bouncy hair out of her eyes and goes back to handing out flyers. "Potentially something else with similarities to this, those similarities being: getting paid. We have to work when we're broke, don't we? It's what trainers do."

"I suppose it is…" Tsu nods sagely, thinking back to the odd jobs she'd done before and after her disastrous debut that had put her so deep in debt. Sunny had tried to fast track her with Gym Battles and Contest victories, but at the end of the day, hard work and perseverance had literally paid off. "I think that's what I'll do today, then. I'm going to go find a job of my own!"

"Good luck! There are a lot of weird ones around here, we had to choose carefully," Marie says, as if Sunny isn't dressed as a giant berry.

"Thanks, you too! Maybe we could go do something later! Give me a call or…" Tsu thinks about it, pulling out her phone again. "I don't have your number, why don't I have your number?"

"Because you left in such a hurry last time we were together, remember?" Marie's cheeky wink reminds Tsu of why she'd left, and she ducks her head to look at her phone again.

"Ha, right! I did that… I was just, you know, I felt like I could have, well, you know. What's your number?"

Sunny looks between the two in confusion, but Tsu doesn't elaborate and Marie keeps that knowing grin in place as she recites her phone number.

Tsu types it in, and after a moment Marie's phone chimes. "Just sending you a text, so you have mine as well. I'll talk to you later! Byeeee!"

She waves as she walks away, leaving her friends to their job, but glad she got to see them. Marie is right, she should find a job to help get her out of the hole she's dug for herself.

But first, she wants to go look at that jutting out section of bridge over there. Who knows what that's for!

As it turns out, it's a nice little rest area. Some benches, some garden plots, even a fountain. And it looks out over the water, which is always a nice… is that woman fishing?

"Hi. Nice day, huh?" Tsu casually slides up to the woman, looking down at the water. Are there fish down there? Maybe treasure? There's a mansion of some kind down there, Tsu vaguely recalls passing it when she split off from Sam.

"Yes, it is. Though it might get a bit windy later." The woman returns the greeting, but is otherwise focused on fishing.

"Right. Wind." Tsu is not good at small talk. "Hey, is that your fishing rod, or is there a place where you can rent one around here?"

"It's mine. Not many places to fish here in Mauport, so no one would make money loaning out rods. This here is pretty much the best spot, trust me."

Tsu curses under her breath, really wishing she could just buy a fishing rod of her own already. She wonders where she could get one, but her thoughts are interrupted by a rod being shoved in her face.

The woman smiles knowingly, offering Tsu her rod. "You like to fish? Go ahead and take a few casts. It'll give me a chance to rest."

"You mean it? Oh, thank you!" Tsu drops her pack, jumping as it clatters to the ground. She'd forgotten about her rental bike. Shiny sniffs at it, her soft nickering sounding like laughter.

The woman laughs too. "Excited, are we? Here, I have some bait over here…"

"No need!" Tsu tosses the naked hook into the water, hoping for treasure like Marie had fished up at the point. She'd taken the bobber off, so the hook sinks into the water. She wonders if she should have put a weight on it to help it sink further.

"Okay… and you've done this before?"

"Lots of times, sure."

"So… you know you're not likely to catch anything without bait, right?"

"I'm hoping I get lucky, I guess." Tsu slowly reels the hook in, hoping to snag something. Marie was probably exceptionally lucky when she fished up a gold nugget, but Sunny managed to fish up some rare Poké Balls, and that would be good too. "I'm not looking for Pokémon, I'm trying to see if I can pull up sunken treasure."

The fisherwoman actually laughs, clapping a hand on Tsu’s shoulder. "Good luck with that! The tides tend to sweep everything onto the shore, or leave them behind in the pools when they go back out. There's a lot of lost items down there, but if you're looking for treasure you're better off going below and looking by hand."

"Oh…" Tsu feels very silly. Fishing is a lot like gambling, but in this case the deck is stacked against her if she's hoping for a big payout.

"Bring that hook back up, we'll get you kitted up so you can catch something proper. Lot of different kinds down there by the Trick House, you never know what you're gonna get."

"What's the Trick House?" Tsu starts reeling the hook in, but it catches on something. She jerks the rod sharply, and hears a *pop* from below as something tugs at the line. She pulls harder, reeling the line in. There's definitely some weight at the end now. "Hey, I think I caught something!"

With some effort, she reels in the line until she can see what's caught on her hook. It looks like a deflated beach ball. It must have gotten caught on her hook and popped. She reels it in with much less enthusiasm, but stops when she sees the bottom. There's a Pokémon clinging to the ball! It's some kind of dog-faced seal or something, and it clings to the ball with a look of fear and regret in its eyes.

"Hey! That's a Popplio! Good catch, kid!" The woman helps Tsu pull it up, rather than just leave it dangling over the side.

Popplio lands on the bridge with a sigh of relief, then sadly puts a flipper on the deflated ball. Her eyes trace the line back to the rod in Tsu’s hands, then narrow into an accusatory glare. She barks at Tsu angrily, smacking the ruined beach ball for emphasis.

"Um… here, this is yours." Tsu hands the rod back to the fisherwoman, who accepts it with stunned confusion. "I think I should go now, bye!"

Popplio isn't having it, and jumps in front of Tsu. She barks again, gesturing to the beach ball, then whimpers as she mimes something being lifted.

Tsu can't look Popplio in the eye, starting straight ahead with a guilty conscience. "...yeah, okay. That's on me. You could have let go, though."

Popplio barks again, pointing to the- to her popped ball.

"I guess I do owe you a new one… fine, let's go." She picks up her backpack, unfolding the rental bike and gesturing to the basket. "Hop in, we'll go look for a vendor."

Popplio looks at Tsu warily, then raises her flippers, demanding to be picked up.

"You can't be serious…" Tsu mutters, but does as the Water type asks, placing her in the basket. She rolls her eyes at the amused fisherwoman, offering her a wave. "Thanks for letting me borrow your rod! I guess I have to go deal with the consequences of my actions now."

Popplio barks impatiently, and Tsu gets on the bike and heads back toward the market at the entrance to the bridge.

Caesar

Age 28
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
403 posts
10.5 Years

Thursday, October 1st @ 1100 - Littledale

Here Clint was, at the Littledale Gym. Situated in the middle of town, nice and easy to locate fortunately. The gym itself was styled like a barn, just happened to be in better condition than any barn Clint had seen before. Clint looked around, noticed the place itself was pretty quiet. Clint walked up to the building, and slid one of the big barn doors open.

The place looked abandoned, like no one had used the gym for anything. The place was kept clean, but you could see a thin layer of dust covering everything. Clint couldn't help but be confused by this. Sure the leader's weren't going to be there 24/7, but at least it should look like its been battled in recently. Clint heard someone behind him, which caused Clint to do a one-eighty and place his hand on his holster. An older woman, who looked like a farmer, was there to greet Clint,

"Merry ain't here friend, they're out working."

Well this was unfortunate, Clint didn't want to do anymore waiting then was necessary. Clint quickly mulled over his options, either wait around or go find this gym leader. neither one guaranteed any success.

"Any idea where I might go looking for Merry," Clint asked.

"Could be anywhere, they're very busy. I can let them know you're looking for them If I see Merry first, what's your name kiddo," the woman replied.

"Clint. Shaw."

With that, Clint headed out, determined to find Merry on his own as opposed to waiting around.

Thursday, October 1st @ 1600 - Littledale

After a few unsuccessful hours of aimless walking around town looking for Merry Richtide, Clint figured he'd enlist the help of someone with a little more familiarity with the region. Luckily for Clint, Sergei had just finished his work for the day and agreed to help Clint, only condition was that Clint would have to put on a show in battle. Easy price to pay for a little help. Sergei had brought Clint to a saloon, which apparently a cousin of Merry's owned, and Merry stopped by at sometimes. Clint and Sergei walked in together, and took a quick look around the room. No Merry, just a few people sitting around tables relaxing after a day's work. The two walked up to the bar, and took a seat. Sergei ordered two shots of whiskey, which caused the bartender to ask if Clint was old enough to be in there. Sergei said don't worry about it, so the bartender shrugged his shoulders and poured the drinks.

"I can tell you're all jittery, take this and calm down," Sergei suggested.

Sergei was right in that Clint was a little on edge, but he wasn't sure that Sergei's suggestion on how to fix it was the right one. But heck, it was a fool's idea to turn down free booze so Clint took the shot.

"So what's the plan Sergei, wait here until Merry shows up, while you get drunk," Clint teased.

"Hmmpf, you wanted my help kid, let me do my thing," Sergei replied, ordering just himself a second shot,

"What, you got something to do today, I don't."

Clint was a little annoyed, but he had hitched his wagon to Sergei, best to sit back and see what he comes up with. When the bartender came over, Sergei asked him if he had seen Merry at all recently. The bartender mentioned that Merry had been by earlier to drop some supplies off, but not much more than that. Apparently they were behind on their farm work due to a string of gym challengers in the past few days, and so now Merry has been working around the clock to catch up. So either Merry was worn out from a series of battles, or their skills were sharpened from some recent practice.

The bartender also let them know that the Richtide's had been restoring an old abandoned section of farmland, trying to get it going again. This seemed as good of a place as any to search. Clint thanked the bartender, and Clint and Sergei left the saloon, on to search this old farm.

Thursday, October 1st @ 1800 - Littledale

The sun was setting on the sleepy farm town of Littledale, yet Clint still found himself in some farmer's field. Clint and Sergei split up to cover more ground, yet stayed in earshot of each other in case they found something, or someone. Clint's search brought him to an old barn, not completely dilapidated but for sure needed some work. Speaking of needing some work, Clint could hear someone inside, swinging a hammer. Had to be the person he was looking for. He called over Sergei, who slowly started to make his way over. Clint climbed the wooden fence for the pen that had been built by the front door of the barn, his feet scraping the dusty ground as he dismounted from the fence. Did he feel a bit nervous? Yes, and the fact that the commotion inside didn't stop certainly wasn't helping, but a few slow breaths in and out and Clint continued closer to the door, but not too close. Clint paused for a second to muster up the courage, then shouted,

"MERRY RICHTIDE!"

The noises in the barn ceased, and the barn doors swung wide open. Standing in the doorway was a figure shorter than Clint, but a lot stronger looking. Due to the lighting of the situation, Clint couldn't get a clear look at their face.

"Howdy partner," Merry started off, with a slow drawl,

"You lost or something kid, what ya doin' out in these parts?"

"Think you know why I'm out here. Looking for a gym badge, and I wasn't gonna' sit around and wait for it," Clint replied.

"That was my first guess, heard there was an enthusiastic trainer looking for me. In that case, I'm Merry Richtide, Littledale's Gym Leader, its they/them by the way, I know how you Winston boys like to mess that up," Merry introduced themselves.

"I ain't nobody's boy, since we're in the business of clearing things up," Clint snapped back.

Clint and Merry stared each other down as they moved into position on opposite sides of the pen.

"Fair enough kid, here's my rules. Four rounds, one on one rounds, three rounds to win, ties go to me, the leader," Merry explained,

"Speaking of rules friend, we need a ref, doubt we're going to find one all the way out here."

"Don't worry Merry, the kid's got a ref with him," Sergei said, as he entered the pen, standing at the edge.

"Sergei? Long time no see, what brings you out 'round here with this kid," Merry said, shocked as could be.

"The love of the sport never leaves you Merry, you should know that," Sergei answers.

Merry nods in agreement with Sergei,

"Enough of the chit-chat, let's get this over with."

The two trainers squared off, way out of the way of the crowds that formed around other challenges, just two trainers, and their respective parties. The sun overlooking them was steadily disappearing behind the horizon, adding an additional air of intensity to the match. Clint was the one to break the staredown, sending out Grovyle as his first combatant, while Merry matched that with a Tauros. Clint's dealt with enough of those over the last couple of days, what's one more?

Tauros began the festivites by charging directly at Grovyle with a Horn Attack, which Grovyle avoided with Detect, dodging the Tauros like she was a Matador. Tauros turned his head to look at the Grovyle he missed, who was giving him a funny look. Grovyle then replied with a Quick Attack, striking the Tauros in the shoulder, causing the Tauros to stutter step slightly, but not a whole lot of damage was done. Grovyle jumped over Tauros following the attack and landed over near the fence.

Tauros, only slightly disturbed by the quick attack, turned around to face Grovyle, and dug at the dirt with his hoof. Then, the top of Tauros' head, including his horns, were covered with a white aura before charging directly at Grovyle, slamming into her and taking the two of them for the fence.

"Dang it, gon' have to fix that later," Merry complained.

Grovyle retaliated with Assurance, striking back at Tauros while surrounded by a dark energy, this attack being enough to knock Tauros back into the fenced in pen. Grovyle then followed back in, perching on top of a fence post while Tauros stared her down, his tails waving about wildly.

Grovyle made the next move, starting off with a solid kick to the jaw, followed by another one to Tauros' chest to complete the double kick, sending Tauros upright and tipped over. Tauros was still able to get up without too much trouble, simply rolling over and rising back up did the trick. Tauros lined up for another Horn Attack, but before he was able to build momentum Grovyle charged in first with a quick attack, knocking Tauros down, the bull pokemon skidding off to the side past Grovyle. Tauros then got back up, despite appearing to be fatigued, and prepared another attack.

Tauros used Wild Charge, covering himself in an electrical field and charging right at Grovyle, hitting her and launching her into the barn doors. Grovyle sat up against the doors, clearly in pain from that attack. Standing in front of her ready to charge again was Tauros, digging into the ground with his hooves, panting heavily. Grovyle made the first move, landing another double kick on Tauros, and this seemed to be the one to seal the first round win, as after Tauros laid on the ground, clearly having difficulty getting back up. Merry put their hands on their hips, huffed and recalled Tauros back into his Pokeball.

"Tauros is unable to continue battling, round one goes to the Challenger," Sergei explained,

"Trainers ready up your Pokemon for round two."

Sure, Clint had taken the first round, but nothing was guaranteed at this point, he wasn't in the clear yet.

Team & Inventory:
Spoiler:

Blaze|Brave| Moves: Ember|Dragon Breath|Bite|Smokescreen|Fire Fang|Slash

Overgrow|Sassy| Moves: Leaf-age|Detect|Quick Attack|Double Kick|Assurance

Water Absorb|Quiet| Moves: Hypnosis|Water Gun|Pound|Mud Shot

Synchronize|Gentle| Moves: Confusion|Double Team|Teleport|Growl|Draining Kiss
Inventory:

$24,500
2x Potions
1x Pokeballs
Sceptilite
TM Protect

Eleanor

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Seen 25 Minutes Ago
Posted 34 Minutes Ago
4,299 posts
5.5 Years

Avril Reese

16 - ♀ - Laverre City

Featuring Hikaru

Pokémon / Inventory:

AVRIL'S TEAM:
🌼 Poppy (Flabébé) ♀
Flower Veil

🌼 Hydrangea (Shellos) ♀
Storm Drain

🌼 Wisteria (Inkay) ♂
Infiltrator

🌼 Thistle (Wooloo) ♀
Bulletproof

Away:

AVRIL'S INVENTORY:
🌼 1 Empty Pokéball
🌼 2 Potions
🌼 Eviolite
🌼 Silk Scarf
🌼 TM for Ally Switch
🌼 5 Rare berries
🌼 Sea Incense
🌼 Pink Scarf

🌼 Pink Woolen Hat

AVRIL'S CONTACTS:

🥊

🎀• 1

🌼 Avril's birth date is April 25th, 2010
Painful Surrender
Saturday, October 3rd - noon - Mauport Bridge

I have officially surrendered to Hikaru. What else could I have done? What else could I have failed at?

I can’t say I didn’t try, either, because I tried to get back that Mawilite twice: playing by the rules, and breaking them blatantly. I can’t say I didn’t care enough, because I sure do care about that little promise I made with Venus. Perhaps even more now that she’s no longer by my side - who knows how it’s going over in Littledale…

But now - I talk to myself as I grab my bike and follow Hikaru - now, I have to look forward.

What I see is just more time in the company, or maybe in the shade, of this quirky figure. But that’s fine, right? When they discovered I left Mawile behind they were clearly annoyed, but I can’t believe they would outright forget I essentially saved their life back in Dewford Cave. That’s right actually, I essentially saved their life…! They must have at least some amount of gratitude for that. Possibly some admiration too. Maybe this is why they’re still giving me a chance. Maybe this is why they said… “this is my way to help you out”.

Or maybe… they really are making the best of the situation to just use me again. They’re making me think I still have a chance to get that stone, and that’s now the carrot they dangle in front of my eyes, so that I can keep working for them… at their own pace.

At first, I keep my distance from them. We bike onwards towards Mauville, mostly keeping to the center of the bridge so that it’s easier to dodge people on foot who are just looking at the various shops and amenities. Some Taillow fly over our heads or behind us, chirping loudly but never really scaring off Poppy, who in turn looks at the world around her from under her blanket (my bandana). Hikaru looks back a few times, crossing their eyes with mine, but that’s as far as we go.

See, I don’t think they’re done with me. They probably need me around more. Or maybe they really think I’d be able to use that Mawilite to its full potential someday or another. But whatever it is, it should explain why they’re looking back at me. Of course, that means I could very well get another chance to prove my worth as a trainer: and it’s not just me, but my Pokémon too, who have to be ready.

That’s why I try to spend my lunch with them by my side.

Poppy is just Poppy. We know each other, we love each other, we have fought together, me and her, just this morning and it proved once again that we’re a good team, or… at least that she knows her stuff. She even got to use a new move I’d never seen! Petal Blizzard, if I got that correctly. Can’t help but wonder if she did that just because she wanted to win that battle so badly but, regardless, I hope Hikaru can appreciate her commitment, at least.

Wisteria, from what I’ve noticed, is a carefree, happy prankster. He probably thought me and June were cute together or something and he just had to try and get our attention, didn’t he? Luckily… I have no hard feelings. That’s all in the past. I’m just not entirely sure if… if we’ll become good friends in the end. We haven’t battled much either, I just know he’s useful to have because of Hypnosis and such.

Angie, or rather, Hydrangea… I wonder if I let her down, I kept wondering for a couple days now. I caught her after a rather exciting fight on the beach, after me and my friends Tsu and Jo baited her and two other Shellos to come out of their hiding spots… and then I don’t let her fight as often, let alone fight to get more food. She’s the one who’ll need to get used to this, but I wonder if there’s any way I can help her do this. Or even use her own personality to get what I want from each fight. For now, back in her Pokéball she goes.

And Thistle. Oh, I just need to check on her. She should be fully healed by now, it’s just that there’s no Pokémon Center that can validate that. Add to that the fact that she seems to be barely able to walk, even now… and I’m slightly worried. It’s also true that I still don’t know exactly all of her moves - or rather, how they work. But… I guess I’ll get there. For now, she gets a few more nudges on that soft wool of hers.

Hikaru makes some comments on my Pokémon while I munch my food. They’re a quirky group for sure, they say. They’re quite diverse, they say. They mention how Rei is much like their own version of Poppy, but they haven’t really connected that well with the rest of their team because battling and training is a big part of their interactions. I shrug at that, not sure if there’s any way I can help them with. It’s not like I’m that good at understanding my own Pokémon either, uh?

If I look straight west from where I am I can see the railing of the bridge. Then, there’s the sea, the coastline with that dense forest… and what I can only assume is the Trick House barely visible on the side. Maybe if I went right up against the railing, I could see it better. Oh, but what I’m immediately reminded of is what’s way beyond that forest, ironically. That would be Littledale, where Venus is.

Some minutes pass before I get up from that bench and reach that railing, getting a much better view of the Trick House and the whole area around it. I lean over the railing just barely, getting a stunning view of Mauport bridge as seen from the sea, essentially - all of these buildings suspended on top of the waves thanks to a never-ending series of white pillars, with many gaps in between and a few more lookout spots like this one where we stopped. Well, my moment of awe is interrupted way too soon by me getting startled by more Taillow and Wingull flying by, but it was nice while it lasted. I look back towards Hikaru, and this time it’s me who would like to be followed, but they seem still busy on their X-Transceiver or something like that, so I leave them be. I try getting a single photo myself, but I’m sure they’ll say it’s blurry. You bet!

There’s even someone fishing from this lookout, not too far from where I’m standing. That goes without saying, but it reminds me of when I tried fishing with Tsu back in Petalburg, or when me and June found ourselves meddling with a Basculin in Cottage Grove. If I remember correctly, the bridge didn’t quite help with the variety of Pokémon in these waters, but I still wonder if there’s still some more resilient creatures in these waters. Maybe the same Shellos from Slateport? Maybe the Basculin from Cottage Grove? If it’s not that one thing that could create a school in a matter of seconds and turn into a giant monster, maybe…

“Yes Hikaru?”

🚲🚲🚲

“Hikaru…!”

Nah, maybe I can still keep going for a bit longer and spare myself from arguing with them again. As long as my legs can take me places… it must be a good thing they didn’t hear my voice just now.

When they walked up to me on the railing, I hoped it was to appreciate the scenery with me and take some time to relax. But that was more like what I wished would happen, because if I’d known better, I’d immediately realize what was going to happen. Needless to say, Hikaru just wanted me to hurry and just resume traveling.

They weren’t looking very serious or very worried or very angry… just their usual self I guess. I already decided I was going to indulge in their schemes for a while, though, so I let go of my hand and walked back to our benches with them, picked up all of my stuff, and got back on my bike. I was a bit sad that I had to leave that spot, don’t misunderstand me, but I didn’t give it that much importance, either.

Once we got up to speed though, the issue I was dealing with was clear. They were going fast. I wasn’t tired enough to complain to them just then, and force them to slow down, so I hoped they’d do that on their own. And for some moments, I thought I was even getting closer to them! But…

I’ve never been that good at sports. I don’t have a lot of stamina. I don’t know how good Hikaru is at those things, I don’t even care that much, but the point is… it doesn’t take much to outperform me. Or rather - let me correct myself, because apparently I’m not falling behind as fast as I thought - it feels like I’m giving it my all to keep up with Hikaru. I’m starting to sweat, my face is turning red (for the wrong reason) and my glasses are starting to slip down. But they don’t, they look… relatively fine. For all I know they could crash in bed tonight and be all groggy when they wake up, but I wouldn’t know!

Plus, I just don’t get this obsession about getting places without enjoying the journey. Why do they have to be so apathetic about Mauport Bridge, when it has the potential to be just as interesting as Mauville (if not more)? Do they not care about the people that live here and make this place vibrant? And on a more general note, do they not care about the little details that change every so often? Maybe tomorrow that one shop could have a different assortment of paintings for show, maybe that other one that’s closed today would finally open up again.

And yet, as I said… I’m not feeling ready to stop them. I noticed them looking around a few times, and it’s less than before - it’s stressful, it’s like a mind game, and I’m here constantly worrying about when they’ll look at me next - but it’s something. If they would end up seeing me trailing away because I actually can’t give it any more, maybe that would be the best scenario, because they’d know I really did all I could to keep their pace.

If I just told them to stop, there’s still the chance they could not wait for me. I’m trying to think of reasons why they would do that, or why they’d want to wait for me, but it’s hard to read them. Many of their actions suggest they want to help me and stay with me, even if it means having to force me into submission by bringing up the Mawilite they somehow still hold in their hands. But then why would they not give a damn if I’m struggling? There’s got to be a limit to everything, unless they’re too dumb to see it. Or maybe there’s another reason why they’re so headstrong.

What’s got into you?

Flair artwork

Cubeth

Age 22
They / Them
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
2,428 posts
3.1 Years
Jordie "Jo" Hughes
Friday, September 25
Chapter 3: Final - Off to Littledale, I guess
15:30 - 15:35 Petalburg Pokémon Center
*snap* Send
> “Oh, did you beat Wally?”
> “That’s nice I knew you could do it”
> “Grats!”

> “wait u knew?”
> “why didnt u tell me so”
> “i mean i found out way before the battle either way but”

> “I mean”
> “What for?”
> “Didn’t want to make you nervous”

> “lmao”
> “i never”

> “Sure”
> “You didn’t turn your back on your fans this time right?”

> “lol no”
> “i think”
> “tbh that moment felt weird”

> “Did something happen?”

> “no”
> “am i still relevant there”

> “What do you mean?”
> “Rangers are still following you if that’s what you are wondering”

> “i-”
> “not that
> “i meant the battle with brawly”

> “Oh”
> “ Well, I still think about it”
> “Don’t know about the rest, though”
> “Dewford is a small town and Brawly’s battles are big when they happen so people probably still remember”
> “But to be fair a lot of people just like watching the pokémon”
> “Why do you ask?”

> “eh”
> “nothing”
> “just wanted to know”

> “You winning against Wally will probably send a few more fans your way if that’s what you are worried about”
> “I don’t know about another article, though”
> “Gabby has managed to take In Search of Trainers to more than just TV but it still takes more than that for new talents to be recognized”
> “I recommend going to Mauville now”

> “is she really called gabby what”
> “lol”
> “but yea mauville is like”
> “the big city right”
> “im definitely going there”

> “Since youre in Petalburg you are better going to Littledale now”
> “Theres a Gym in Oldale i think”
> “And two trainers that were in the hall of fame as well”
> “May Norman and Brendan Birch”
> “No idea what they are up to now, though”

> “yea i looked for the gym already”
> “im going to littledale next and then going to mauville”
> “but two hall of fame trainers living there…”
> “where do i find them”

> “Ask”
> “I live in Dewford”
> “I only know that much”
> “But probably in Littleroot since both are from there”

> “only
> “whatever ill ask”
> “ty for the info tho”
Littledale, uh? Is that Oldale + Littleroot?

I’ll probably take Reed’s advice and leave for Mauville real quick, after beating the Gym and finding those two trainers, of course. I don’t know much about them, just that they are from the same generation of trainers as Wally, which means they must be good.

Is one of them the Gym Leader? Nah, Reed would know.

Unless he doesn’t want to tell me.

I’ll find out when I get there, but first…

I haven’t really stopped thinking about what Wally told me. The thing about keeping people that support you on your journey close and whatever, that’s why I talked to Reed in the first place.

But I keep circling back to think about my brother. You know, the one working at the Battle Subway that’s taking care of Boo right now.

Maybe I should text him’, I think, opening another chat while I have time until my pokémon get healed.

“hi”

I hesitate to press the “send” button, my finger hovering over it just as it did when Andrea called yesterday.

But this time I don’t do anything.

I don’t know what to tell him, y’see? I’m almost completely sure he doesn’t want to talk to me. And he has good reasons for it, because I completely ignored him even after he supported me when I wanted to come here.

I close the app just before I get called by the nurse to get my fully recovered pokémon back, and it’s when I start putting my duskballs back on my belt that I hear a notification on my XT. And I would have loved it was Reed again, but no, once again I messed everything up!

> “hey jo”
> “i saw you were typing”
> “need something?”

Jordie's Party:

Battle Subway:

Inventory:
Spoiler:
- 23 Dusk Balls
- X-transceiver
- ₽5000
- Eviolite
- Aggronite